Mithrax mystery :)

psteeleb

Team RC
As I was doing a late night check on the tank, I noticed a mithrax crab sitting on the edge of a monte plate swaying back and forth at the edge of a very high flow area of the tank. Very odd indeed. At first glance I thought she tore off a chunk of coral and was holding it in her two front claws, so I had to take a closer look. After close inspection I'm like; "what the heck is she doing some funky suicidal dance", but sure enough turns out she's releasing a batch of new baby mithrax loose in the tank :) Evidence they breed in captivity.

not the best pictures as it was at night with flash and besides no one is suppose to see this :eek1:

mitraxfry24.jpg

mitraxfry26.jpg

mitraxfry28.jpg

mitraxfrycu.jpg

thats cool i have a vid of a crab(not sure what kind of crab) releasing eggs into my tank abot 2 days ago if i can find it ill post it here

my fish were eating them as they were released but they missed several hundred i dont know how fast your crabs grow but tell me if any live and grow.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14841060#post14841060 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ricky92
thats cool i have a vid of a crab(not sure what kind of crab) releasing eggs into my tank abot 2 days ago if i can find it ill post it here

my fish were eating them as they were released but they missed several hundred i dont know how fast your crabs grow but tell me if any live and grow.

please do - that would be cool to watch

Crabs/inverts all release batches of eggs into the water column. The question is, would the fry be able to survive in the current system including getting past skimmers, corals , and fish? unless you catch the babies and place them in a specialized grow out tank.

I've had emeralds, PomPoms and various shrimp release eggs all the time. I consider them food for my corals:mixed:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14851736#post14851736 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Linesider
sweet... how many emerald crabs do you have in your tank and how big is the tank..

there are 3 or 4 emerald crabs

the main display tank is 290 gallons

thanks

just want to clear a misconception, not all inverts will release eggs into the water column, a great example is the marbeled craw fish which cares for its young before letting them go, miniature versions of the adults.

if you want to raise them, it would be a great experament if you did, you will need excellent water quality, a sponge filter(optional you can use other form of filtration, but this is best) and microplankton (rotifers,copepods,bbs, etc)

good luck

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14845028#post14845028 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 650-IS350
Crabs/inverts all release batches of eggs into the water column. The question is, would the fry be able to survive in the current system including getting past skimmers, corals , and fish? unless you catch the babies and place them in a specialized grow out tank.

I've had emeralds, PomPoms and various shrimp release eggs all the time. I consider them food for my corals:mixed:

I watched a scarlet reef hermit release eggs/larvae into the water column on my last tank. I came over to the tank because the fish were going absolutely BONKERS. Saw a hermit lying half out of it's shell with babies coming out from inside it's shell. Once she was done, she packed up and walked away, like nothing happened. None made it to maturity, though the corals did show great PE for a week after that...

To the OP: Good catch! That would have been very easy to miss! :D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14869051#post14869051 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ralphie
Very very cool....

How long have had you them?

6+ months or so. It's been a while

I've had all kinds of things release eggs or fry or whatever in the tank. Most prolific are my clowns and the pair of banded coral shrimp I had before one past away.

others:
my staghorn coral - I have a picture of it somewhere
some sort of hitch hiker shell fish - they are smokers
my anthias - almost nightly
and all the usual, snails, stars, coralmorphs, worms (dusters and all kinds of sorts), pods, pocillipora, etc etc etc

thanks for asking

Back