moving to rockford in 236 days...good LFS??

The stores are hit and miss around here, mainly miss. Your best bet is to buy or trade with local reefers or buy from a home based business. When you get closer to moving, ask then about the home sellers because they come and go. Look forward to meeting you in 236+ days.

Petland...stinks
PetCo...worse
PetSmart...no salt
Hope you don't mind driving. As Sara said Rod's and Ocean's Floor are great stores. there are others about an hour+ away that are good. Good thing gas is always on the low side of the National averages.

Waynes Feed store has a pretty decent selection. it does not sound anything like a place to get salt water fish but it's definately something to check out. it's west on Auburn (just ask anybody in rockford and they'll tell you how to get to Auburn) and it has a 15 foot farmer sign... it's hard to miss. they also have excelent prices,and know their stuff, much cheeper and easier than those long distance LFS

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8357436#post8357436 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mdcorcoran
Does anyone here go to Anything Aquatics?
Steve has great stuff and knows what he's doing.

Appointment only.

Is that the place in Loves Park or Mechesney Park Tthat's in a garage? If so, that guy is WAY overpriced. $100 for some zoa's and $50 for ONE ricordia I don't think so. I'd rather drive to Rod's and still save money.

If not, how about a phone #.

yeah that's him...I guess prices change depending on who you are. Some ricordias are really really expensive, depending on the type, and the zoas could have been pretty rare, also. The LPS I have gotten from him generally range between $5-10/head and I've never paid more than $40 for any softies. He just built a new greenhouse and moved the stuff out there, it's really nice.

Be careful!!! I don't want to bad mouth, so all I will say is check with the better business bureau. You might find some interesting info about his business practices. I know some people that filed reports and I guess they were not the only ones.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8359592#post8359592 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mdcorcoran
yeah that's him...I guess prices change depending on who you are. Some ricordias are really really expensive, depending on the type, and the zoas could have been pretty rare, also. The LPS I have gotten from him generally range between $5-10/head and I've never paid more than $40 for any softies. He just built a new greenhouse and moved the stuff out there, it's really nice.

An orange caribean ricodia(not yuma) isn't worth $50 maybe $30. He should really know who he's dealing with before he tries to charge people outrageous prices. Maybe he takes care of his regulars, but I don't think I can afford to get to that status with the prices he charges.

I guess if he was really on the level, we'd all already know about him and be going to him.

I do not wish to bad mouth here on this board, but most of you heard my opinion of Anything Aquatic at the last meeting. I will never shop there, ever. I would get out of reef keeping first. Nuff said.

As to LFS, we really do not have any great stores in Rockford. Ocean's Floor is nice as is Rod's Reef. I go to Rod's all the time. Drive is 45 minutes to either and both are good stores. I prefer Rod's.

Bryan

Pet Center in Loves Park is hit or miss. I have been in there and they have had tons to choose from and good prices. I was in last week and all the fish looked horrible. Small selection of Softies. They carry things like Joes Juice that no one else in Rockford sells. Laddy the owner is very nice. If you need it he will have it in the store.

Perfered Pets in Janesville is hot or miss with their selection also. I have not been there in a couple months, so call first to see if they have good stock.

J&S pets in Beloit: They too like most LFS in the area are hit or miss. Jim the owner is very good at trading coral or fish. I have made deals with him numerous times and he is very fair. no other LFS in the area would trade anything! (maybe he thinks im cute) who knows! haha

Hope this helps. Welcome to the neighborhood. Its always nice to see more people in the area with a passion for salt!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8368676#post8368676 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by midreefer
Perfered Pets in Janesville is hot or miss with their selection also. I have not been there in a couple months, so call first to see if they have good stock.

Preferred Pets in Janesville...last I heard they were cutting down their salt supply by at least 50% if not getting rid of the selection completely. They opened another location in Beloit somewhere...they may have taken over the saltwater aspect of the business.

Back