Moving

Didi71

I just started my 72g reef tank about 6 weeks ago and now I am about to buy a new house. So I gonna have to move it soon. The good news is that I have more space in the new house and could get a bigger tank there.
I am thinking of getting either a 48x24x24 or 72x18x22 tank.
Can you recommend a good place to buy a tank with a built in overflow box and a stand?
Thanks,
Didier

I got my 180 from Bob. He gave me a great price and had it in like 2 days. If you have the room go with a 180 72x24x24. They are a great size since you get depth and length. Makes aquascaping, fish choice, and large coral placement so much easier.

I am supposed to move to Weston (not far from Seth!) around the 22nd.
I am still considering either a 60x24x24 or 72x18x22. I am waiting on prices from Bob.

Make sure you are getting info on a tank AND a stand. Depending on your needs and tastes, the cost of a stand for tanks of that size can make the tank cost seem dirt cheap in comparison.

You are right.
I might have a piece of furniture strong enough for that. I will check my warehouse today.
I can also ask my woodworker for a quote.
BTW, anybody knows a good and reliable woodworker?

I don't know any woodworkers, but House of Fins in Greenwich has a large selection of large tank sands. And they also do custom work - lots of options available. But don't think of this as an aquarium stand, you are going to be paying prices comparable to high quality furniture. $$$

I built the snd for my156 and 180. Going that big I wouldn't count on furniture as it probably wasn't designed for that amount of dead load for the amount of time it will be set up. On another note I have a aga solid oak stand and canopy for a 180gal in the basement (I like my tanks to be HIGH off the floor so I swapped it for my own built one). Another issue I have is that I am in the process of breaking down my 156 (60x24x24). Not sure if I'm going to keep or sell it. But if I keep it, then I have to put it in my basement and the stand dosen't fit the turn to get it down there due to its height 60lx24dx40h. So depending on what I end up doing I may have a stand that will fit a 60x24x24 tank.

Go large since you have the 72" in length and the 24" in depth try a 180gal. It will pretty much use the same equipment a 125 would require. On another note a sump can be a pain to get under an aga 125gal stand ( trust me I just went through this). Nothing fits through the doors. Only options are to slip the sump in from the top before the tank is on the stand or knock the doors out.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15146050#post15146050 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tank o tang
...I like my tanks to be HIGH off the floor so I swapped it for my own built one...
That reason, IMO is the big failing of almost all "standard" aquarium stands (mine included :( ), and one of the single biggest reasons for custom built stands - whether self or professional.

Also, don't make the mistake I made on my 180 stand purchase. If you get a 180, make SURE you get one that has either three large doors in front (with a vertical brace in between each), or one with four doors but only one vertical brace between two pairs of doors. If you have a vertical brace between four doors, the opening will be small enough that getting your shoulders in - or any other form of reaching deep in the stand - will be a REAL PITA.

Moving to Weston!! That is great -- neighbors!!!

Making a very nice stand is really quite easy. my garage is a woddworking shop too. Seriously, Stands are really easy, the only time consuming part is making the doors -- but they are pretty easy too. Id be more than happy to help you build one, if you wanted. I find wordworking relaxing after a hard day at work (reefkeeping too).

I like Seth enjoy woodworking too. I've built a few cabinets, router table and corner curio for my sister in law. The stand itself is not really that difficult, as there are some really good threads on this right under the DIY section. The finer points, like Seth said are the cabinet doors and moldings that you may want to make it look more like furniture. In fact I'm currently building a stand for my 75 rimless. Having the right tools makes all the difference really. A good Miter saw and Kreg pocket hole kit could pretty much do it all. Of course its another money sink hobby. It may be cheaper to buy the cabinet doors, as the rail and stile bits alone will cost you 80-100 bucks for decent quality...not to mention the router table, router, etc...

There is a place in Norwalk that you can rent blocks of time. They have a full wood shop with more tools and equipment then you would need. I haven't been there in a while, I think is was called Woodcraft.

Coralfever is right, the Woodcraft store on Westport Ave has a full workshop upstairs. Then again the time rental fees might be just as much as having a custom cabinet made to your specs. I don't remember the actual fees, but it wasn't cheap.

Back