Muriatic acid dilution question

miserkris

If i mix muriatic acid : water ( 1: 10 ratio) outside , stir it for 10 min... Bring it inside my basement where my DT is and store the diluted acid mix:
1) How long will the solution be effective in storage , so as to clean Pumps etc as needed....without damaging the parts in them?
2) Will there be a bacterial slime build up as it does in Vinegar solutions over time?
3) Is it true HCL gas can corrode anything in my basement? The gas will escape only when opening the bottle /mixing right ( that I do outside) ?

THANKS!
Kris

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Why not just use vinegar to clean your pumps? Cleans them very well and you don't have to worry about working with acid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why not just use vinegar to clean your pumps? Cleans them very well and you don't have to worry about working with acid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You would not need to worry about working with a strong acid. Vinegar is still mostly acetic acid, which is a weak acid.

1. It can be stored basically indefinitely.
2. There is no carbon in it, so no I wouldn't expect any bacteria problems, although that shouldn't really be cause for concern when using vinegar.
3. HCl is corrosive, for sure. It can be kept in a sealed container safely, however.

Muriatic acid is good for use as a strong acid (chemistry term) when one is needed. Some folks use it to nuke dead/live rock, or to lower alk in saltwater solutions. It would work to descale equipment, but I'm not sure that it would be my first choice. Sulfamic acid would be better, imo. Of course, be really careful with that stuff.

Pat answered all your questions accurately, however, I would suggest going to 1% dilution instead of 10%. The stuff is plenty strong even at that lower concentration, still dangerous, but with significantly more wiggle room and much less hazardous vapor levels.

Also, ALWAYS be sure to add acid to water like you oughta!!
Once in chem lab I reversed it with 12M HCl (about 37%) VERY dangerous!!

Pat answered all your questions accurately, however, I would suggest going to 1% dilution instead of 10%. The stuff is plenty strong even at that lower concentration, still dangerous, but with significantly more wiggle room and much less hazardous vapor levels.
I diluted the muriatic acid 1:5 water and I put it in a gallon jug safely sealed no I don't think that's going to evaporate into the air in my basement right ....

is evaporation a big issue for diluted HCL?

It's stored in a used distilled water bottle.

That'll be fine. Hopefully it's a screw-on top but otherwise the HDPE or LDPE plastics making up the bottle will be perfectly fine for that solution.

Back