My 20 long

vaporlockv2

2011 IMAS Officer
Here are some pics of my 20 long. SPS dominated. Lighting is 4 bulb t5, 2 koralia nano 425gph and two koralia 3. Aquaclear 100 as hob filter/refugium. Running a media bag of seagel and a bag of purigen, along with cheato and calurpa. Purigen changed biweekly and seagel changed monthly. Water changes are 6 gallons a week, dosing is 15ml of reef complete alk daily, 20ml of calcium twice a week and 20ml of magnesium once a week. I also dose 2ml of fuel every other day. Fish are a Mccoskers Flasher Wrasse and a Candy Stripe Hogfish. Comments and questions welcome!!

Attachments

• IMG_20131130_085542.jpg
    IMG_20131130_085542.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 0
Hahaha finally! Thanks for the compliment man! Anything you can think of that I should be careful of or any advice on keeping this tank success?

Hahaha finally! Thanks for the compliment man! Anything you can think of that I should be careful of or any advice on keeping this tank success?

Seem's like its already pretty successful xD, just keep doing what your doing. Did you do LPS/Softie tanks before doing this SPS dominated 20?

I just noticed the turkey baster in one of your pics. Never thought that one could be so handy in this hobby lol.

Agreed! The turkey baster has been a lifesaver! Also a long pair of tweezers! Both are centerpieces of the hobby. To answer your question Boston21 I have always been really into sps corals but started out with lots of softies then tried out sps and didn't do that well. Now 7yrs into the hobby I finally think I have the knowledge and experience to go sps. It's a lot of work but enjoying every second of it.

Here is an updated pic of the tank as of today. I adjusted the white balance on the phone to get a little better representation of coral color instead of wash out from the lights

I like it a lot. I started bb by accident really. I moved so had to downgrade from my 75. The sand was absolutely filthy and didn't want to put it in the 20. I planned on washing and drying it, adding it slowly over time. I got lazy and never added it. I discovered I liked the look as well as my nitrates went from 10ppm to 5ppm. Then after adding my refugium, purigen and doing regular water changes it is undetectable on my test kit. I can only attribute this to the sand being gone. Plus I can see where the detritus collects and easily siphon it out during water changes!

how high is your light from the top of the tank and how long do you keep your lights on.Nice tank, i got a 20 long and looking at putting a 4 bulb t5ho light on it also.

Back