My 75 gal w/ no sump FOWLR

jstephens24

Decided to make my own thread about my DT for a way to keep track of things and also to hear advice and input. As of now I have: 200W heater, Eheim 2215 external filter, HOB SeaClone 100 protein Skimmer and AquaSun dual T5 HO lights. I have an Ocean Sun 10,000K and a Coral Sun Actinic 420. Have a 1600 GPH powerhead on the way with a 500 GPH in there now. Have a BRS 4 stage RODI system coming in. The tank came with a glass lid but since I'm not having a sump and things are on the side the glass wouldn't sit right. I bought some egg crate for the top. I have 60 lbs of dry pukani rocks coming in and I have rocks for the bottom of the tank.

Thinking about later on changing my filter into a reactor. Still need to research on exactly how to do it with my filter. I'm pretty sure I just need to get carbon to do it. But that will be later on.

And for fish choice I am still pretty open. I would like to get a clown fish which looks like everyone has a pair. Other than that I am pretty open. I'm also open on what I will use as my CUC. I am looking at the stickies to see what is compatible.

Last edited:
This a newbie question but how long do yall normally leave the lights on? Im about to buy a timer for the lights and was wondering what I should do. Both lights would be coming on at the same time and I dont plan on using the lights full time til after my tank cycles.

Well I got my rocks in yesterday and started aquascaping them. I ordered wayyy to much. I wanted an opening kinda feeling after I ordered so I only used about half or less. I got home today and my water tank water is yellow and the tank has a pretty bad smell. Did a quick search and it looks like this sometimes happen. I rinsed the rocks off a little last night before I put them in but didn't scrub them. I read that this will actually help my cycling process since the smell is dying organisms that produce ammonia. Do yall think I should still add a shrimp or wait til maybe tomorrow to read how high my ammonia levels are?

I'd wait on the shrimp, just test the levels when you can, sounds like the cycle is starting!! Although, the yellow water and strong odor is odd... Keep us updated on the smell/water

Will do. Heard it could take 3 or 4 days if you add shrimp in the water to see ammonia so I will wait til monday night to check levels.

Here is the tank

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 0
Don't add anything alive until your cycle is complete (4-12 weeks). If your tank smells, there is plenty of ammonia in it to start it cycling. Just sit back and maybe ghost feed. If you add a shrimp now it will die. Great pics. I look forward to seeing your progress.:)

Don't add anything alive until your cycle is complete (4-12 weeks). If your tank smells, there is plenty of ammonia in it to start it cycling. Just sit back and maybe ghost feed. If you add a shrimp now it will die. Great pics. I look forward to seeing your progress.:)

I could be wrong, but i think OP meant adding raw shrimp to kick start the cycle :D

I went ahead and added shrimp to jump start my cycle. Had no ammonia reading from my API test with just the rocks. Water is still a yellowish brown. Anyone know if this will go away as cycle progresses or will it only disappear after my cycle ends and i do water changes?

Well I took another ammonia test today and it still showed 0 after I added 2 raw shrimp couple days ago. I figured something was up so I youtubed how to do the api test. I realized I was doing the test wrong. I thought the second bottle was extra so I was never using it. Did the test the right way and I now show 2 ppm of ammonia.

Well I took another ammonia test today and it still showed 0 after I added 2 raw shrimp couple days ago. I figured something was up so I youtubed how to do the api test. I realized I was doing the test wrong. I thought the second bottle was extra so I was never using it. Did the test the right way and I now show 2 ppm of ammonia.

:lolspin: I lol'd
Glad you figured it out. You can take that shrimp out now

Haha yours didn't come with the instructions?

So my protein skimmer had a leak in it from manufacturing error and I mailed it back for a refund today. Once I get my money back (2-6 weeks) I will be buying another one. Thinking the reef octopus 1000 that hangs on the back. Looking at reviews and that one seems near the top.
Also I bought two 32 gal brute trash cans. one to store my rodi water and the other to mix in. I added a ball valve yesterday to it and no leaks. In the process right now of filling it up which will take a while.
Also set up my QT last night with the premixed salt water and started heating it. Looking to buy a couple of clownfish tonight to start that process.

Well its been awhile since I last updated. A week ago my ammonia levels were 4.0+ and last night I checked and it was .25! Finally starting to see progress. Nitrite was 5.0 and Nitrates was at 40.
I am going to start ghost feeding a few flakes a day to feed the bacteria. I still got a few weeks to go but I can see the finish line.
My clown fish are doing great in my QT so far. No signs of ich and all eating great

My ammonia was 0 and nitrites were 0. Did a 20 gal WC and checked readings the next day (last night). All reading were good so I added my first clownfish in. Will be adding the other 2 tonight.
Also got my lights mounted and on a timer for 9:00a-845p. I dont get home til 6 so I wanted to be able to enjoy the tank some. Reef octopus skimmer should be in today or today. Once I get that, I will cut and size my eggcrate and be pretty much done.

Back