My Breeding attempt - Perculas:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15586163#post15586163 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GreshamH
I doubt Dazed has any issue with it :)

I dropped of some of the new rotifer feed to him (RotiGrow Nanno). Soon as he gets some time with it under his belt I hope he posts about it :)

He's got a tight set-up at his place. Nice and spacious :)

I don't have an issue at all, I think it's great that we have allot of the heavy hitters contributing along the way; hopefully it will help whoever takes the time to read through the information that is here.

Gresham; I have not done anything with the RotiGrow Nanno yet. It is sitting in my refrigerator as a prized specimen.:lol:

I do have a yellow tang now that is addicted to Fuzzy-Phytes though:D

My offer stands on the cold one when you get a chance.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15586754#post15586754 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rkelman
"I know what you mean ... Any thread that gets melev, GreshamH and rkelman to post comments has to be doing something right."

I'm a post whore I'll post anywhere.. (obviously) Plus Dazed said there was beer.. There is beer right? No one ever posts in my thread. Dazed has everyone in here.

Of course there's beer this hobby requires enough parameters and supplements; that any true reefkeeper has to make sure he is prepared right.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15596679#post15596679 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by FB
Beer? Where?

rkelman & I are waiting for you to get back from the store.
:D

Ok now that I'm all caught up I think; and rc seems to be back to working properly; yesterday was strange i got like 25 messages on my bb from this thread but could not post anything at all.
Update the last "blue man group" larvae kicked the bucket yesterday don't now why just happened, it could not have been a food issue as the tank has exploded with rot's oh well. next try coming up soon.

I got bad news too (which I'll be posting the details in "MY" thread so I don't hog up yours, :) ). I created a device for hatching larvae, had my most successful hatch EVER on Monday night, total loss by last night! It seems to only happen when I feed them and "tint" my water green. I just don't get it!!! At least I know my "hatcher" works!

I REALLY could use that BEER now!!! :(

Subman,

Try to break up the next batch and do an experiment. Take one half of the clutch and use a siphon to get them out, put them into Tank A and use the catcher for the second half of the clutch and put them into Tank B. I am willing to risk saying Tank A will do better...

I used to siphon and had pretty good luck. My "hatcher" is actually a 5 gallon tank that I put the whole rock they were on in. I had a slow stream of water "fan" they eggs simulating the parents. I had what appeared to be a 100% hatch. They were all swimming around very actively until I started to feed rots and algae. I did "strain, rinse, dump" the rots and then added a few drops of Rotifer Diet to the mix. That's when things went downhill! It always seems to be the same pattern!

"The Hatcher" I picture a big steam powered machine that tears the larvae from the egg and forces them to swim. :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15599223#post15599223 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rkelman
"The Hatcher" I picture a big steam powered machine that tears the larvae from the egg and forces them to swim. :)
UUUUGGHHH.... you're gonna make me post a picture here, aren't you!? Fine, here it is!

Clownfish8-24-09039-1.jpg
[/IMG]
007-1.jpg
[/IMG]
009.jpg
[/IMG]

That is a great idea! I highly doubt it is this that is causing your problems. Something else. Do you have a closeup picture of the eggs?

FB

Last edited:
I agree with Fb; that's a cool idea but if those eggs are ready to hatch they do look suspect? maybe it's the angle of the picture.

Here is what some of my "Best" batches looked like the night of hatching. Notice the very large yolk sac. They need a large yolk sac as most eyes don't develop until the 24 hour mark. If they do not look like this you should look at what you are feeding the parents. You can even notice in this picture which ones have no yolk sace left and will probably perish within the first 24 hours. Of all things I did I found this was the make or break it for my fish.

2315691260050149585S425x425Q85.jpg

This is the best I was able to zoom in. I wasn't using my macro lens or manual focus so the camera focused more on the glass, not the eggs.

Eggs-closeup.jpg
[/IMG]
Eggs-closeup2.jpg
[/IMG]

FB- Based on your picture, I'm guessing my larvae aren't healthy and you are probably right with the parent's diet. What and how often are you feeding them?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15602714#post15602714 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by subman719
FB- Based on your picture, I'm guessing my larvae aren't healthy and you are probably right with the parent's diet. What and how often are you feeding them?

I "was" feeding them a home made food. It contained 2 bags of frozen "Seafood Medley" (Shrimp, Clams, Squid, and Scallops) 5 Sheets of Nori. 1 Tabelspoon of chopped Garlic. 2 Tablespoons of a New Life Spectrum pellet food. Put it all in the blender and add RO/DI water to get a good consistency. I then put this into small ice cube trays and fed 2 cubes / day.

My fish would go NUTS for this stuff.

FB

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15602714#post15602714 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by subman719

Yes over half the eggs in your picture are practically clear looking; meaning that even if they do hatch the chance of survival is not good. I would take Fb suggestion and change the parents diet, as it directly relates to the health of the eggs.

I have a batch that is supposed to hatch tonight i will try and get a picture of them when i have the tile out of the dt.

I like the hatcher. Cool idea. I agree with what Dazed and FB are saying its likely a broodstock diet issue.

+ 1 on the parents diet.

When people say fry catching device, my mind thinks of all kinds of fry hurting devices... That def. looks like a neat and unique device.

Back