My Breeding attempt - Perculas:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15605799#post15605799 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by john68camaro
When people say fry catching device, my mind thinks of all kinds of fry hurting devices... That def. looks like a neat and unique device.
AAAAHHHH.... I never said "catching" device! I said "HATCHING" device! :D I wanted to come up with something that "simulates" the parents fanning the eggs, but without the dilemmas that I've been hearing about using air bubbles. This device allows the water stream to cause a slight current. By adjusting the water flow at the pump and hose height and direction, I was able to duplicate the same waving effect that I saw the parents do. Once I got the motion dialed in, I covered the tank with a dark bath towel for "lights out" and WA la, two hours later I had larvae!

Also, with having the 55 micron mesh (orriginally a 7 inch filter sock purchased on eBay) on the divider (light grid from Home Depot), I can put the rotifers in there and not have them pureed by the pump. I did notice however, that after about 24 hours, the rotifers and rotifer diet started cloging up the mesh so I had to use the water stream to blow them off.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15603521#post15603521 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by FB
I "was" feeding them a home made food. It contained 2 bags of frozen "Seafood Medley" (Shrimp, Clams, Squid, and Scallops) 5 Sheets of Nori. 1 Tabelspoon of chopped Garlic. 2 Tablespoons of a New Life Spectrum pellet food. Put it all in the blender and add RO/DI water to get a good consistency. I then put this into small ice cube trays and fed 2 cubes / day.

My fish would go NUTS for this stuff.

FB
Isn't that the same recipe for making the stuffing for baked clams and stuffed mushrooms??? :lmao: Thank you for your "secret recipe"! :thumbsup: And all this time I thought it was your "magic water" that was doing the trick! I can just imagine how fast I'll have every cat in the neighborhood at my door and how fast my wife will throw me out of the house once I start making that brew! :crazy1: :spin2:

Last edited:
THANK YOU :wavehand: to everyone who liked my "contraption"!

And lastly, THANK YOU dazed, for letting me hog up your thread! :D

I don't know why I would bother posting in my thread now... I would just say, "for a REAL thread, click here * to go to dazed's thread" ! :jester:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15606965#post15606965 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by subman719
Isn't that the same recipe for making the stuffing for baked clams and stuffed mushrooms??? :lmao: Thank you for your "secret recipe"! :thumbsup: And all this time I thought it was your "magic water" that was doing the trick! I can just imagine how fast I'll have every cat in the neighborhood at my door and how fast my wife will throw me out of the house once I start making that brew! :crazy1: :spin2:

I make my own mix as well for food; Bob be careful though my wife didn't throw me out of the house but i did have to buy her a new blender once she saw what was in hers.
:eek1:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15607075#post15607075 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by subman719
THANK YOU :wavehand: to everyone who liked my "contraption"!

And lastly, THANK YOU dazed, for letting me hog up your thread! :D

I don't know why I would bother posting in my thread now... I would just say, "for a REAL thread, click here * to go to dazed's thread" ! :jester:

:beer:

Well i had an interesting time last night; got home and was reminded by my wife that we had a back to school night for one of my daughters; I needed to prep a tank for the clutch that was going to hatch; when i hear my wife say i think you are going to kill mamma clown because she is double clutching again!!!!! aghhhh so i hand her the turkey baster and tell her to keep mamma away from the tile as i needed to grab the replacement one out of the garage. I only had about 20 minutes before we had to leave, so i pull & replace the tile (lucky for me my wife saw what was going on & she only had laid about 20 new eggs so far) the only option i have is to place the tile into what had become a rot culture from the last batch; but i had not done much with that tank in 10 days or so; so i decided to remove some of that water & replace with some from the dt; well in the process of trying to do that (about 2g i notice that there is larvae in the tank) ahhh again, so i quickly finish adding the water cover the tank with some towels and off we go.

This morning there are allot of dead zombies on the bottom of the tank and around 50 or so swimmers.

Mamma clown went right back to laying eggs even though we interrupted her; i will have to wait and see if the eggs develop properly though.

Who says this hobby is not any fun lol, i was running around like crazy to try and get all of this done.

It can get crazy when you have things going on but HAVE to do things with the fish. Its fun but trying at times isn't it?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15625751#post15625751 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dazed
Yes it is for sure; & no fun at all when the batch completely goes belly up on the second day.
Belly up??? Mine always seem to lay on their sides!!! And they don't make it a day!

Tell me about it! I was devistated after building my hatching gizmo, having a perfect hatch, then losing every single one in less than 24 hours!:furious: :sad2:

I think my issue has to revolve around the timeframe it is taking for the eggs to develop & hatch. (10) days is not only long when compared to everybody else around here; but if you also throw in the notion of her double clutching all the time; it just leads me to believe that the eggs are not getting out of her way fast enough; which is not good as they are probably depleting their yolk's while still inside the egg casing does that theory make sense or am i crazy???

I have tried pulling the tile on days 7,8,9 with no luck and no hatch. It always seems to be the 10th day for them. I have also tried increased temperatures in the larvae tank after pulling them before 10 days i have gone as high as 85 with not a single one hatching.

any thoughts??

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15627809#post15627809 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by subman719
dazed, you just need my Miracle Hatcher! :)

and Fb's magic water & rkelman's tanks full of babies.:rollface:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15628301#post15628301 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rkelman
Yes you are crazy :) I really don't have any usefull suggestions sorry. I have no idea..

Yeah i think we all are:D

I don't either but i think the 10 days is to long; it's longer then most from what i have read.

Mine always hatch on day 8 like clockwork, Even without my "Miracle Hatcher"! :)

And YES, we are all CRAZY! Think of what we're all doing... for FISH!!!:crazy1:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15627404#post15627404 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dazed
I think my issue has to revolve around the timeframe it is taking for the eggs to develop & hatch. (10) days is not only long when compared to everybody else around here; but if you also throw in the notion of her double clutching all the time; it just leads me to believe that the eggs are not getting out of her way fast enough; which is not good as they are probably depleting their yolk's while still inside the egg casing does that theory make sense or am i crazy???

I have tried pulling the tile on days 7,8,9 with no luck and no hatch. It always seems to be the 10th day for them. I have also tried increased temperatures in the larvae tank after pulling them before 10 days i have gone as high as 85 with not a single one hatching.

any thoughts??

I believe I read something once that a certain food (possibly shrimp) can cause the casing to be too strong for the larvae to break out of! It is possible and this is why they take 10 days.

Do you have an account at MOFIB. You could try asking there. There are a lot of people with a lot of experience on this specific topic.

FB

Back