My Clown fish has left its anemone after almost 7 years and is spinning in circles.

As the title says my clownfish has left its anemone and is now swimming around in very tight circles almost like its chasing its tail. This clownfish doesn't leave the anemone for anything. Might swim 3 inches at the most for food but otherwise is buried in his anemone. Now he is swimming all through the tank. It will do this 5 - 10 times and the stop for a little bit and then start up again. Its almost as though he can't control his swimming. I just got home from work so i haven't had a lot of time to supervise his behavior, nor how long he has been doing it. Also no major changes in the tank other then minor alk changes. In the process of raising it about 1 dkh over there past week. As of now he is in a side tank which is plumbed into the same water supply as the display but he was getting picked on so i moved him to the smaller side tank.

Well I came home from work today and he isn't doing circles anymore and seem pretty normal so i put him back in the display tank thinking he might go back to the anemone but when i did he stayed on the complete opposite side of the tank and kept getting picked on by my wrasse. I will get a video if he starts doing it again. Any suggestions on how to proceed in this situation?

Could it be old age? 7 years seems like it's pretty old for a clownfish, doesn't it? Maybe it's just his time to go. Have you introduced anything new into the tank?
I hope he will be ok. A spinning fish isn't funny.

I haven't put anything new into the tank in years. I'm not sure if the life span of fish so I'm not really sure on that. I hope it's not that....

Could it be old age? 7 years seems like it's pretty old for a clownfish, doesn't it? Maybe it's just his time to go. Have you introduced anything new into the tank?
I hope he will be ok. A spinning fish isn't funny.
No it is not old age. Outerbank have a pair of tank raise Ocellaris that is 20+ year old. Not the oldest pair of clowns but not behind the oldest by too many years.

No it is not old age. Outerbank have a pair of tank raise Ocellaris that is 20+ year old. Not the oldest pair of clowns but not behind the oldest by too many years.

I believe ORA has a pair that was 32 when I signed up for the forum.

Is it swimming into the current or rubbing on rocks? Have you added any fish or new coral/rock that could have brought in any parasite recently? Edit - sorry ... just saw your post that you haven't added anything. I guess just watch and see if it happens again.

Age is definitely not a problem - my Ocellaris mama is almost 12 now.

Last edited:
As of now he is just kinda swinging around. Nothing crazy anymore but he will not eat. I tried reintroducing him to the display but stayed away from the nem.

So weirdest thing......I decided to just stick my clown back into the tank and just see what will happen. I know it kinda sounds mean but I kinda figure nature is going to run its course no matter what. Low and behold he is back in his anemone. Doesn't look 100% but he is in there and protected. Wish him the best of luck.

Back