My DIY Rock/Foam Reef

I'v been told that the UV can have an effect on it... but, the main reason I used it was so that I could stick the sand to it.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11660997#post11660997 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kannin
I'v been told that the UV can have an effect on it... but, the main reason I used it was so that I could stick the sand to it.

I've also seen people paint a very watery cement mix over the foam to even up the color

Thank you for posting this!!! I have an empty tank on my hands and 100# of 4-6 inch Marco rock that has been cooking for a couple of weeks to get all of the junk out of it. I've been planning a build very similar to yours, and I really appreciate the opportunity to see how you did it.

I had been planning on making the rockwork look like a big "M", with the rock forming walls on both ends of the tank, going along the back, and coming to a peak in the center, with pass-though holes in the rockwork, just like you did.

Thanks for posting the very cool photos. Its nice to see how someone actually executed an idea that is very similar to the one I've had in my head!

I like it...I will be referring to this and the Tiggsy thread on my next tank build. I am really liking these builds that conceal the overflow boxes.

Just curious...Is it just me...or does that rock formation on the left side have a Yoda look to it ???

And the formation on the right (in the third picture) looks like gonzo (or an ant) doing a power walk.

(Not making fun...just a wierd coincidence)

I really dont believe that uv light will effect the foam.That was just a concern of Tiggsy when he did his rock walls.The foam method has actually been used by several other reefers here on RC in the past.Only difference is that they used just foam and with a few rocks just placed here and there.Mostly on nano tanks from what I have seen.

Also the freshwater guys have been useing this stuff for years as well with no ill side effects.

Tiggsy was the first to incorporate the use of foam,liverock,and epoxy in this way.There are a few good reasons that I see for him doing it this way.

1.Just useing the foam alone without the addition of epoxy,sand , etc.. over it ,gives it a dull and unnatural look.

2.The epoxy will keep your inhabitants from pecking at the foam and possibly eating it,leading to there death.

3.It looks really cool and the possibilities are endless.

Kannin did an awesome job at taking an idea to the next level.Me and my wife read Tiggsy thread and were really impressed.When I started reading this thread I was like holy **** honey come check this out.Lets just say we feel Kannin did an excellent job and the aquascapeing alone looks like a masterpiece.

Here's some more pics with different lighting. The outer lights are bluer than the center one...

100_1433.jpg

100_1436.jpg

100_1437.jpg

100_1438.jpg

100_1439.jpg

100_1442.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11656496#post11656496 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Turbovinny
very nice!!!!!!!!!! any more close up of the center piece

Centerpiece

100_1445.jpg

100_1446.jpg

100_1403.jpg

If someone could invent a camera that had binocular lenses... you could see it better.

I'm planning on a couple of inches. I love gobies and other sand dwellers.

Thanks all of you for the compliments... I put alot of myself into this project. If I haven't said it enough... Thanks again Tiggsy.

Do you sprinkle sand and crushed coral on the wet foam and then epoxy it after the foam has dried? Or do you add the sand and crushed coral when the epoxy is setting?

Let the foam dry, then brush on the epoxy, spinkle on a few pieces of the larger grained crushed coral and then use a spoon to sprinkle on the finer grained sand. Let cure at above room temp for at least 6 hrs.

Remember this though... the foam will expand to atleast 3 times it's original size. Less is more. Don't apply too much.

whats the difference between finishing resin and the regular fiber glass resin? Just cause Ive got the later at hand and if I dont need to go on some long journey to try and find the other .....

Note, you need to use EPOXY, not resin. The diffrence is that the epoxy will not attack the foam. 2 part epoxy will not eat at the foam, and is avail at West Marine ETC.... it will also give you ample work time with the project. One other note I did not see here (I know because I did the same thing two years ago), you need to secure the hole project to the floor and sides WELL. Over time the foam will take a slight curve and attempt to float upward in the tank. Use of real heavy pieces of LR are recommended,s o you are not only reling oon the adheasive bond to the glass. In the end though it looks REAL NICE!:rollface:

Back