My DIY Rock/Foam Reef

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11670672#post11670672 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NightBreed1369
whats the difference between finishing resin and the regular fiber glass resin? Just cause Ive got the later at hand and if I dont need to go on some long journey to try and find the other .....

I don't know... The finish resin company told me first hand that it dries inert and that there is no danger of it flaking off. I don't know if fiberglass resin is the same or not.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11670843#post11670843 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tunjee
Did you shave any foam down after it dried? Would that foul things up?

I really only had to trim it where it squeazed thru the holes in the egg crate.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11670853#post11670853 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Marine Surveyor
Note, you need to use EPOXY, not resin. The diffrence is that the epoxy will not attack the foam. 2 part epoxy will not eat at the foam, and is avail at West Marine ETC.... it will also give you ample work time with the project. One other note I did not see here (I know because I did the same thing two years ago), you need to secure the hole project to the floor and sides WELL. Over time the foam will take a slight curve and attempt to float upward in the tank. Use of real heavy pieces of LR are recommended,s o you are not only reling oon the adheasive bond to the glass. In the end though it looks REAL NICE!:rollface:

You are right... it does bow a little. If you look up the page at the second to last pic... you can see a piece of egg crate going from the pillar on the right to the front glass. Having the top of the reef braced under the eurobracing and the front of the reef braced up against the front glass makes it impossible for the reef to float up.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11670853#post11670853 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Marine Surveyor
Note, you need to use EPOXY, not resin.

You do know that epoxy is a resin right?Thats why its called epoxy resin.Might not be a good idea to try and confuse people.

There are several types of Epoxy resins out there. The reason I asked is from the discription from Tiggsy's build with the brushable aplication it sounded closer to the same type of resin used for working with fiber glass witch is aslo a two part resin very runny and able to vary the set time with the amount of hardener added i.e. enough time to paint it on and ad sand/crushed coral and such. Most Epoxy's that Ive worked with are two thick to spread with a brush and start to set quickly

What I used was good for about 20 minutes befor it started to become hard to work with.

The caves are hard to see in the photos, so I took some pics with PVC in the pass thru caves to aid in the depth perception...

100_1455.jpg

100_1454.jpg

100_1453.jpg

100_1452.jpg

This is gonna look like something straight out of a nature documentary!! You'll have David Attenborough knocking on your door to come and do the voice-over soon!!

Am very impressed with how beautiful the finished look will be...

Is there any chance that the wall will act as a heat sink and give you temp issues?

Have shown my LFS owner this thread and he's already talking about a 'reef wall' tank!!

Awesome work.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11672471#post11672471 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NightBreed1369
There are several types of Epoxy resins out there. The reason I asked is from the discription from Tiggsy's build with the brushable aplication it sounded closer to the same type of resin used for working with fiber glass witch is aslo a two part resin very runny and able to vary the set time with the amount of hardener added i.e. enough time to paint it on and ad sand/crushed coral and such. Most Epoxy's that Ive worked with are two thick to spread with a brush and start to set quickly

All i have access too is Bondo Brand i think it will work or at least i hope because its all i can find!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11674784#post11674784 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Vinnie71975
All i have access too is Bondo Brand i think it will work or at least i hope because its all i can find!

Thats what Ive been looking at as well. For the price and amount it would be well worth it. Says its water proof and with coating it with sand and crushed coral theres really not much that will be "open" to water. Im really thinking about giving it a shot on one of my smaller pieces for my 65g and letting it set for a while in water just to see if any adverse effects happen before adding it to my tank.

Guys for this application the bondo brand will work fine.Not talking bad about anybody,but a lot of people on here dont know there left from right when it comes to epoxy resins.

I dont know if you guys know who Tgreene here on RC is,but he has a large coral prop system.His prop tank is 8' X 4' X 12".Its made of plywood, and he used a combo of bondo brand epoxy and baer garage floor epoxy to seal his tank ,with no ill side effects.Not to mention he saved a good amount of cash by not buying the expensive stuff.

The only member on this site that I have seen that his project deemed the use of the more expensive epoxy resin is Fudge,and thats because he built a large fiberglass skimmer.

I just used some bondo 2 part fiberglass resin on a piece I'm working on right now and none of the foam has broken down. I was instructed to let it cure for a couple weeks even though the can says it cures in 2 hours. by the potent smell a day after I used the resin I can tell you that 2 weeks seems more accurate. Work in a very well ventilated area, if you can't work out doors.

Joshua

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11675203#post11675203 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NightBreed1369
Thats what Ive been looking at as well. For the price and amount it would be well worth it. Says its water proof and with coating it with sand and crushed coral theres really not much that will be "open" to water. Im really thinking about giving it a shot on one of my smaller pieces for my 65g and letting it set for a while in water just to see if any adverse effects happen before adding it to my tank.

I do know that it is "Inert When Dry" or at least that is what the box claims lol

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11675639#post11675639 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Joshua76
I just used some bondo 2 part fiberglass resin on a piece I'm working on right now and none of the foam has broken down. I was instructed to let it cure for a couple weeks even though the can says it cures in 2 hours. by the potent smell a day after I used the resin I can tell you that 2 weeks seems more accurate. Work in a very well ventilated area, if you can't work out doors.

Joshua
SWEET thats what i was worrying about was if it would break down the Great stuff! Only prob i am having is that the Egg crate cost a BIT more than i though it would 11.00 for a 2ftx4ft sheet which is no biggie but i need prolly 3 sheets PLUS 35 more lbs of rock PLUS my PVC pieces Man this 55g tank is beginning to be costly lol

I would also recommend that you have plenty of sand to put on it I used pavestone brand pulverized limestone and it has a light gray tone to it so I think when it's all said and done it will look great. I tried brushing it on the 1st time and the sand didn't really cover it very well, so I've gone to just pouring the sand on the resin while it's tacky.

regards....Joshua

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11675916#post11675916 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Joshua76
I would also recommend that you have plenty of sand to put on it I used pavestone brand pulverized limestone and it has a light gray tone to it so I think when it's all said and done it will look great. I tried brushing it on the 1st time and the sand didn't really cover it very well, so I've gone to just pouring the sand on the resin while it's tacky.

regards....Joshua

I think what i will do is put a good coat of Resin on it when it gets tacky pour the sand over it and leave it sit for 3 or 4 hrs then dump of the excess, ill be using carbisea aragonite i Like the look of it Also im putting Pieces of live rock rubble in the great stuff for a more natural look

Lowes carries some fiberglass repair resin. It comes with a little vial of hardner you dump in and stir. Will it attack the foam?

I don't know if the stuff you bought will, I just know as a fact that the bondo won't. but hey you could always get a little tester piece of foam and try it. Back to subject at hand.....Kannin, your rock work and design looks amazing, kudos.

Joshua

Sorry to get so off topic Kannin,just trying to let the guys looking to do this know what they can use and what not.

For those of you useing epoxy resin for the first time,this stuff smells really bad and is very dangerous if not used in a well ventilated area.Total cure time should not take more then 48hrs.You could use it after 24hrs,but I would wait an extra day to be safe.

Hey Kannin any new updates on your project.

Last edited:
Vinnie... I used 4 sheets of egg crate for my entire 6 ft x 2.5 ft x 2 ft project... If you are using 3 sheets for a 55 gallon... you must be covering all six sides.

Everyone else... I used $13 worth of finishing resin... it was easy to work with... cured relatively quickly and as you can see by some of my pics, I applied it in my dining room... meaning, it didn't hardly smell at all.

Back