my latest project: saltwater pond

you should make the eggcrate into smaller sections that way if stuff falls under it it isn;t a major pita to rescue it also easier to cleen if you get algea growth oter wise looking good

tossed in a bit of that kolorscape "white" sand from home depot to see what it looked like.

pond_with_sand.jpg

small update...

finally got around to removing the clamps and putting on a real board for the top.

IMG_2471.jpg

just waiting for lights now. here are the parts for 8 250w halides. gotta find the time to gut these and get them setup nice.

IMG_2470.jpg

far from, but it is coming along. What I really need now is a good way to mount those raw ballasts. cheaply if possible. I was thinking of using some old computer cases to mount them in, but really don't have a good spot near the tank to put it. Unless I strap it to the beam in the ceiling like I used to have my HTPC mounted.

Your "pond" is really looking good.
What did you use for sheeting on the sides that it is white?

It was mostly scrap shelving I had on hand. The white is that smooth surface on that kind of material. Not sure if that is melamine laminate, or just some other white coating.

I built the whole thing with wood that I had laying around. So it has a bit of a frankenstein look to it, but my goal was to a) not spend much doing it and b) use up some of the wood i've not found a use for. Maybe I should call it frankenpond :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13132103#post13132103 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by siropa
far from, but it is coming along. What I really need now is a good way to mount those raw ballasts. cheaply if possible. I was thinking of using some old computer cases to mount them in, but really don't have a good spot near the tank to put it. Unless I strap it to the beam in the ceiling like I used to have my HTPC mounted.

2x4 square structure to hold the ballasts and steel conduit to hold the hot mogul bases?

How about mounting them to something that you can raise and get out of the way, that way you can have the light by the corals for growing, and move it for fragging.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13133632#post13133632 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by yaitisme
2x4 square structure to hold the ballasts and steel conduit to hold the hot mogul bases?

2x4 square structure on an adjustable raising/lowering assembly with steel conduit holding the hot mogul bases.

doesn't need to be that complicated. i'm going to remove the ballasts from those huge housings. just need a good place and way to hold those ballasts away from the sockets. the mogul sockets will be in some kind of reflector. still working on that part.

Very Very cool. Wish I could swing somthing like that. Just wondering do you have stock in WPS?

Hmm, less complicated than 2x4's..... 2x2's? ... still too complicated???, maybe some willow branches for that wilderness look. :worried: I've got an entryway door that you could use as a fragg'n (frigg'n) work bench. Maybe lift some milk crates from the local getto-mart :bum: for legs and frigg'n (fragg'n) seat. :hmm6:

Those housing don't look too bad. Nice to dissipate heat (assuming they're metal) and lend a bit of a finished look and an illusion of safety.

Back