My LFS's display tank - defies rules of reefkeeping

in this hobby, there are no absolutes.

Absolutely!

I also used tap water (untreated) for a couple years when my kids were babies and a trip to the lfs was difficult to fit in. It worked fairly well for me but, I did have a small algae problem from time to time. Every tank and probably every city water system is slightly different.

How do you know your dog or cat are happy? How do you know your 1 yo baby is happy?

Both of my children could vocalize whether or not they were happy by the time they were one year old. My dog, hes 2 and still can't talk. He's kinda dumb. Sweet tank, btw.

I used tap water with success in my tank for years. Last year, I started inexplicably losing coral. Then the nastiest algaes started cropping up. I bought an ro/di unit and things are flourishing again. The problem wasn't necessarily the water itself, but rather the chemicals the treatment plants are using. Here in FL they are constantly adding new chemicals or upping dosages of things. I couldn't risk losing coral again, so I just went the safe route and bought myself a filter. It can be done, though, with good source water. As for the fish, I can't imagine what that looks like. I have a tiny kole tang in my 180 and I can tell you he uses every millimeter of it.

I used tap water with success in my tank for years. Last year, I started inexplicably losing coral. Then the nastiest algaes started cropping up. I bought an ro/di unit and things are flourishing again. The problem wasn't necessarily the water itself, but rather the chemicals the treatment plants are using. Here in FL they are constantly adding new chemicals or upping dosages of things. I couldn't risk losing coral again, so I just went the safe route and bought myself a filter. It can be done, though, with good source water. As for the fish, I can't imagine what that looks like. I have a tiny kole tang in my 180 and I can tell you he uses every millimeter of it.

It looks like...a great way to scam reefer newbies.

It looks like...a great way to scam reefer newbies.

The response doesn't fit the quote? If you have great tap you are fortunate, my TDS is around 90, but sometimes after being heated from the water heater it smells like rotting algae. Like the person posted there are many more bad things lurking in our tap. And I can not believe after three months there are still no pictures of this great tank?

The response doesn't fit the quote? If you have great tap you are fortunate, my TDS is around 90, but sometimes after being heated from the water heater it smells like rotting algae. Like the person posted there are many more bad things lurking in our tap. And I can not believe after three months there are still no pictures of this great tank?

Sorry, wrong thread.

Karina makes an excellent point about municipal tap water. It's not just in FL, but all over that you will see periodic changes in what chemicals are used in treating tap water. Just because it's good unfiltered one day, doesn't mean the same will hold true on the next day. They don't always tell you ahead of time of these changes either. If your on your own well, at least that will remain reasonably consistent.

Karina makes an excellent point about municipal tap water. It's not just in FL, but all over that you will see periodic changes in what chemicals are used in treating tap water. Just because it's good unfiltered one day, doesn't mean the same will hold true on the next day. They don't always tell you ahead of time of these changes either. If your on your own well, at least that will remain reasonably consistent.

Yeah like E. coli.

Justsayin.

If a fish acts normal swimming normal and eating well, then to me that's a happy fish. The fish are healthy and growing normal and eventually will need to be put in a larger home.

The same can be said for our prison population. Getting larger and being healthy doesn't equate to "happiness".

I don't lose fish, they die of old age in my tanks.

I seriously doubt that. There was a guy on here that had a clown pair for fifty years. How old are your fish that die?

Here's a picture of the tank.

Here's a picture of the tank.

The LFS tank in question sounded a lot like one of my LFS's so I sent a PM to TheFishTeen and determined that it was.

I bought my very first fresh and saltwater setups from the owner in 1975 and he has been an knowledgable, respected and reliable resource for all things aquarium-related for me.

His shop is beautiful, his tanks sparkle, his livestock is healthy and I can assure you he knows what he is doing. He's been doing this very successfully for 35+ years for Pete's sake! And, he was probably maintaining his own tanks for years before he turned his hooby into a business. You don't remain in business for over 35 years with a loyal clientele if you're a scammer. He assuredly is not.

Yes, he uses Los Angeles tap water. As several in this thread (and in numerous other threads) have pointed out, it is possible and practical. His store display tank is overstocked, but everything else he does is beyond reproach.

I just re-entered this hobby a few months ago after a long haitus and IMO there are only a few hard and fast rules, everything else is opinion. I've spent countless on ReefCentral and, as I am sure most of you know, there a multitude of threads where people just completely disagree about "how to do it". I now read as much as I can and form my own opinion by weighing all of the various options and opinions.

If it works for you, just do it.

Anyway, here's a pic:

Attachments

• lfstank2.jpg
    lfstank2.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 1
The LFS tank in question sounded a lot like one of my LFS's so I sent a PM to TheFishTeen and determined that it was.

I bought my very first fresh and saltwater setups from the owner in 1975 and he has been an knowledgable, respected and reliable resource for all things aquarium-related for me.

His shop is beautiful, his tanks sparkle, his livestock is healthy and I can assure you he knows what he is doing. He's been doing this very successfully for 35+ years for Pete's sake! And, he was probably maintaining his own tanks for years before he turned his hooby into a business. You don't remain in business for over 35 years with a loyal clientele if you're a scammer. He assuredly is not.

Yes, he uses Los Angeles tap water. As several in this thread (and in numerous other threads) have pointed out, it is possible and practical. His store display tank is overstocked, but everything else he does is beyond reproach.

I just re-entered this hobby a few months ago after a long haitus and IMO there are only a few hard and fast rules, everything else is opinion. I've spent countless on ReefCentral and, as I am sure most of you know, there a multitude of threads where people just completely disagree about "how to do it". I now read as much as I can and form my own opinion by weighing all of the various options and opinions.

If it works for you, just do it.

Anyway, here's a pic:

Thanks intljock for posting this.

I am going to post a video now that I took in the store a few months back. It's too bad your pic doesn't show the angels, I really wanted to stress the fact he had such large angels in a tank this size.

Video is uploading now.

LFS video

LFS video

Thanks intljock for posting this.

I am going to post a video now that I took in the store a few months back. It's too bad your pic doesn't show the angels, I really wanted to stress the fact he had such large angels in a tank this size.

Video is uploading now.

Looking forward to seeing the video! I am practicing and experimenting with my Canon SLR and will soon post some pics on here of my tank.

Happy Reefing!

Both of my children could vocalize whether or not they were happy by the time they were one year old. My dog, hes 2 and still can't talk. He's kinda dumb. Sweet tank, btw.

My dog is dumb as a box of rocks too but I know when she's happy or at least not depressed (and yes that does happen... I was a vet tech for many years). Thanks on the tank.... in the process of a 250 dd build. :beer:

Thanks intljock for posting the picture, but can you go back and take a picture of the angel tank?

Back