My Neptune Apex web interface compatible DIY reef controller

Now in the temp an ph graph you can touch and it show the value at this point. I think that can be useful to include the date too.

regarding date/time display on the graph, I did look into that, but it will involve a lot of additional code, and I did not have time to work on it.
The main problem is, sparklines javascript library does not take date/time for the X axis. Another issue is, the arduino side will have to generate the proper X axis value (be it a timestamp string or an integer, I have not figured that out yet), then on the web client side, I will need to add code to display the X axis value in the proper string format, so it reads as a time, instead of an integer.

anyway, I agree it will be useful to have the time display, and will add that to my todo list.

for those who have not got this far on their build, this is what jmerino is referring to. The two red dots on the chart marks the min and max value.
tYTYEL0.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies! I will continue to read a bit more to find a solution that that will work for the DUE..the main reason I purchased this board was because of the on board wifi, onboard eeprom, and the faster processor. This is a hybrid board and not the official DUE. That being said I don't want to hijack the thread:)

I'm currently working on a DIGIX aquarium controller at the moment. Will probably be 2-3 months, but it will integrate in a MYSQL database and a full blown webpage to display the data online (I know I can get the simple stuff by polling the pins over the wifi, but I want to make graphs and nice looking stuff!)

In fact, you live in FW - I live in Grapevine next to the airport. Maybe we could get together. PM me or email me @ incroas@hotmail.com

Have you tried using high charts I am experimenting with them now

I have not. sparklines is ideal for really small screens like on a smartphone, and I only made my web page display the last 24 hours value. All the data points are stored in files on the SD card and can be exported, parsed and plotted as needed.

for example, to get sensor data for jan 1, 2014, simply use this url
<host_port>/sen/2014/01/01.txt

I think there is someone in Neptune forum </host_port><host_port>running a website that will grab data from apex and store them and can display the chart of your data. Since the web interface for this controller is apex compatible, it might actually work (or if not, I can certainly make it work) to (leverage) use that free service.

I will add this to my todo list.
</host_port>

I just signed up for a reeftronics.net account and my controller works with it. As far as reeftronics is concerned, it thinks it is connected to an Apex controller :)

http://www.reeftronics.net/d0ughb0y/status

scroll down to see my reef status.
ignore the low ph reading. I think there is stray voltage in my tank messing with the ph reading causing it to be 1 point lower.

The site will store up to 30 days worth of data.
http://www.reeftronics.net/d0ughb0y/history

choose apex.
no need to give password.
you do need to edit the apex.ino, search for line apex_status_handler, and comment out the first line and add the line
// if (!check_auth(webserver)) return true;
logNetworkAccess(webserver);

this change will disable password prompt (which is what reeftronics require). The logNetworkAccess will log the ip address of the incoming connection.

If they do not know you are using diy, and set you up as an apex controller, then your menu selection will have a third entry called program, which is supposed to display the apex program, but will be blank for this controller.

Since Russ from reeftronics knows my controller is not apex, he created a new diy category which does not have the program display and strips out apex specific info (like firmware version, etc).

hey d0ughboy it seems that my ph probe is always off, I was still getting everything going and always notice that the ph is not right.

hey d0ughboy it seems that my ph probe is always off, I was still getting everything going and always notice that the ph is not right.

test it using atlas ph stamp test sketch to see if it works.
if it works, and you can get the single reading, then load the chauvet16 sketch again.

Do we need to modify the NTP server in config? Its not getting the time server but I'm also not able to access from a browser. If I add the following it reports the right address. What did I not do?
Serial.begin(9600);
Serial.print("server is at ");
Serial.println(Ethernet.localIP());

How do you do the wiring for the chauvet to an arduino?

I see you have a ULN IC in between, is it just a 1 to 1 on each relay to prevent a surge when the relays are turned on or ?

Do you know if the relays are 3.3v compatible? (I know most ssd relays are 2.5 - 6 v)

Thanks Doughboy!!!!

-Isaac

Hi Jerry, you wrote about using resistors and capacitors to convert the pwm -> analog, did you end up doing it at the end? or just feeding the jebao powerhead directly with the pwm signal?

Also do you think that code would work with their DC3000-12000 line?

Thanks

Do we need to modify the NTP server in config? Its not getting the time server but I'm also not able to access from a browser. If I add the following it reports the right address. What did I not do?
Serial.begin(9600);
Serial.print("server is at ");
Serial.println(Ethernet.localIP());

you can change the ntp server address to any valid ntp server. If you ping pool.ntp.org, you can get different ip address since the domain name maps to a pool of ntp servers. I use the ip address to save the dns lookup step.

How do you do the wiring for the chauvet to an arduino?

I see you have a ULN IC in between, is it just a 1 to 1 on each relay to prevent a surge when the relays are turned on or ?

Do you know if the relays are 3.3v compatible? (I know most ssd relays are 2.5 - 6 v)

Thanks Doughboy!!!!

-Isaac

The ULN IC is to connect the arduino to an unmodified chauvet. The chauvet stock relays are 12v, that is why you need ULN IC. You need 8 pins to control the 8 relays of the chauvet.

Hi Jerry, you wrote about using resistors and capacitors to convert the pwm -> analog, did you end up doing it at the end? or just feeding the jebao powerhead directly with the pwm signal?

Also do you think that code would work with their DC3000-12000 line?

Thanks

I connect directly with pam to the jebao pumps. It will work with any pump that accepts 5v pwm. You need to find out if that pump accepts 5v pwm.

Do you use atlas cal or the one in your control

I calibrated using the atlas sketch when my program was not complete yet. There should be no difference using either one. In my program, it continuously gets the ph reading while the probe is in the calibration solution, then you just tap on the ph7 or ph10 button once you see the reading stabilize.

doughboy,
I cant see the arduino from a web browser on my local network but i know its on the network. Any ideas for me to check out?

I thought since it was LAN you didn't need to specify a port but you are right. I'm trying admin/1234 but it keeps re asking. I also downloaded Mercury browser.

Back