My Neptune Apex web interface compatible DIY reef controller

Ok so I specified the address for the temp sensor and now it just reads 0. So I went back to the onewire example and it reads fine. I can't figure out what is going on?

If you wrote correct address of your sensor then check also other definitions in config.h

first uncomment this

#define _TEMP //comment out if no temp probe

then regarding of your use this:

#define CELSIUS //uncomment if using celsius unit

And in your case use also 1 here

#define MAXTEMP 1 //number of temp sensors, up to 3 max, over 3 not recommended

if you use only one sensor you should wrote your sensor id here:

#define TEMPDEF { {"AqTemp",{0x10, 0x1E, 0x63, 0xBF, 0x00, 0x08, 0x00, 0x91}} }

and don't forget to change value here if you want that default settings of your controller will be refreshed at next reset

#define EEPROMSIG 0xA1 //change this every time you want the eeprom defaults to change

This value change to 0xA2 and next time back.

So after you set all this correctly then try!

If you wrote correct address of your sensor then check also other definitions in config.h

first uncomment this

#define _TEMP //comment out if no temp probe

then regarding of your use this:

#define CELSIUS //uncomment if using celsius unit

And in your case use also 1 here

#define MAXTEMP 1 //number of temp sensors, up to 3 max, over 3 not recommended

if you use only one sensor you should wrote your sensor id here:

#define TEMPDEF { {"AqTemp",{0x10, 0x1E, 0x63, 0xBF, 0x00, 0x08, 0x00, 0x91}} }

and don't forget to change value here if you want that default settings of your controller will be refreshed at next reset

#define EEPROMSIG 0xA1 //change this every time you want the eeprom defaults to change

This value change to 0xA2 and next time back.

So after you set all this correctly then try!

Ok I checked everything you said and I realized that after I changed EEPROMSIG it finally started working.

Thanks again for all of the help

Glad I found this thread! I am currently starting, as a compkete novice in both reef aquaria and programming, to build a controller based on a teensy 3.1. I think I might actually wait until you got this running, it seems like a great work!

At the moment I only have a simple touchscreen and some code to control my led lamp fixture... ��

Hi I am trying to adapt the existing code to have led functionality. Since I need 7 PWM signals I was going to use the remaining 3 PWM ports and a slave I2C arduino uno for 6 extra PWM ports.

I saw that you chose to not use I2C but an external controller. Did you do it because i2c is much slower?

the wiring is exactly as you described. only the crossflow pump uses the bldc motor controller, the pp-4 should be straight pwm control. make sure the connections are correct (for 24v, pwm and gnd). The pump takes 5v pwm signal.

Interesting, I took my RW-4 stock controller today and checked it's with oscilloscope - it shows 0-10v analog signal, not 5v (PWM)! Surprise - I thought why is my pumps slower with DIY controller than with stock.

Can someone prove if my findings are correct?

Last edited:
maybe they changed it.
I have WP and RW pumps, but not the PP. But I think the PP only has a different magnet mount. I am running the RW on my diy controller, so that is using 5v pwm. I am using the stock RW controller on my WP to mix salt, and I don't notice the WP running any faster than usual.
You can just add a transistor circuit to convert the 5v pwm to 10v if you think that is what your pump needs.

going by my old post note, post #67 in this thread
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=22029585&postcount=67

When I analyzed the stock controller circuit, the pwm is 5v pwm, and it only adds a resistor capacitor to turn it to 5v analog. I tested using 5v pwm as is worked so I left out the resistor/capacitor.

I can check again when I resume working on the v2 controller. (need to finish doing my taxes first). For the v2 controller, the pwm outputs are 5/10v selectable.

Great work on this!!
I have assembled my controller and its up and running.
I have a problem though, I get "Get NTP failed" every time + that on the LCD it showing "Network down" but not in the log.
I can access the controller locally and outside on the web, but it just wont update my RTC.
Another strange thing is that it aotuadjusts my RTC to DST every night.

Here`s my log:

first the autoadjust:

01:00:17 Ethernet and Webserver reset.
01:20:17 Ethernet and Webserver reset.
01:40:17 Ethernet and Webserver reset.
03:00:00 Auto adjusted DST time.
03:00:00 Current time is 03/24/2017 03:00:00
03:00:18 Ethernet and Webserver reset.
03:20:17 Ethernet and Webserver reset.
03:40:18 Ethernet and Webserver reset.
04:00:17 Ethernet and Webserver reset.

then the startup:

08:20:42 Get ntp failed.
08:20:42 Using RTC as sync provider.
08:20:42 RTC time 03/24/2017 08:20:42
08:20:42 System initializing...
08:20:44 Ethernet and Webserver reset.
08:20:45 Found Temp 0
08:20:46 Temp sensor initialized.
08:20:49 pH initialized. ph 0
08:20:51 ORP sensor init failed.
08:20:55 Conductivity sensor initialized.
08:20:56 Outlet Timers initialized
08:20:57 Doser pumps initialized.
08:20:57 Doser0 dosed volume since reset is 14
08:20:57 Doser1 dosed volume since reset is 14
08:20:58 ATO water level 104
08:20:58 Initialization Completed.
08:20:58 4069
08:21:00 Alarm Event: Temp:21.00 pH:7.58 Cond:0.00 Orp:-8.90 Cal:14.00 Alk:14.00 Sonar:104%

I can´t figure this out, any ideas?

I was out for 2 week vacation in Australia and my original controller stopped working more than a week before my return. Good thing I have someone to help me move the outlets to a power strip and do manual feedings and top off till I return.

The problem was a melted rocker switch. Not sure how it happened. The switch is rated 20amps. I just ordered replacement from Digi-Key. This is what the switch looked like

d556d8087872e4a55d9c44aab14854a0.jpg

Went to Great Barrier Reef and saw the bleached corals. The main sps coral is blue staghorn and pretty much about 40% were completely white, maybe 30-40% brown. What's left that is still blue looked really nice though. Where we went, the fishes were not as much variety and not very colorful. I had better experience in Hawaii and Philippines, and even Florida. The skyrail ride over the rainforest canopy was great.

Jerry unfortunately I can PM you because I do not have 10 post's yet. Thanks for all the hard work. I accidentally stumbled on this thread a few days back searching for a Pi
DIY version. This has all the needs and then some. I Finally read the whole thread. How is the chauvet 2 going. Is the PCB ready for prime time yet and released? I was going to try my hand at designing my own PCB. But why reinvent the wheel if it isn't broken. I run a CM so I am all familiar with the fab and build process. Also I might be able to help get you fabs faster and a bit cheaper. Is the current PDF of the schematic the latest and greatest on github. Thanks for all the hard work you really killed this!

I am a nu bee and just started getting all my parts in. Like it's been said many time start out slow and add one thing at a time. I was just trying to compile with just a temp sensor and I get a compiler error. I went back over the initial instructions on what files to edit etc. and don't see anything that stands out. I do not have verbose enabled, Here is the error:

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
enabled in File > Preferences.
Arduino: 1.0.6 (Windows NT (unknown)), Board: "Arduino Mega 2560 or Mega ADK"
Network.ino: In function 'void logNetworkAccess(TinyWebServer&)':
Network:552: error: 'class EthernetClient' has no member named 'getRemoteIP'

TIA

Curious. If the bleaching of the blue acro was due to higher temps - why didn't they all bleach?

according to the guide, this is the first time they got back to back year where water temp was 31C (that's 88F). But said the blue acros grow really fast and it only takes 6 months for new growth to encrust over the dead ones. But if they continue to get high temp year after year, then it may not recover. So I guess in due time, they can all bleach if temp does not go down.

I am a nu bee and just started getting all my parts in. Like it's been said many time start out slow and add one thing at a time. I was just trying to compile with just a temp sensor and I get a compiler error. I went back over the initial instructions on what files to edit etc. and don't see anything that stands out. I do not have verbose enabled, Here is the error:

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
enabled in File > Preferences.
Arduino: 1.0.6 (Windows NT (unknown)), Board: "Arduino Mega 2560 or Mega ADK"
Network.ino: In function 'void logNetworkAccess(TinyWebServer&)':
Network:552: error: 'class EthernetClient' has no member named 'getRemoteIP'

TIA

The EthernetClient.cpp file needs to be edited by adding the getRemoteIP function. See the main github page for instructions.

I grabbed all your files from Github and it was already at the end. Is it suppose to be 2 times or once. I tried both and the same thing. Also EthernetClient.h line 25 was already modified.

That is why I am stumped. I double checked what it said to add and modify, Does the version matter. I did not get the latest I grabbed 1.0.6. I thought in reading through the thread that wasok at one point.

Thanks

Back