My Neptune Apex web interface compatible DIY reef controller

wirewiggler -

Thanks for the offer on the bezels. I'm still trying to decide how I want to do everything. Once I figure everything out 100% I will post some pictures. I'm using this project as an excuse to build the 40G Tank for my daughter.

I still have things like Meanwell LED Drivers on their way to incorporate. I purchased a Ecoxotic E-Series 36" LED Fixture for now (Full Spectrum).

For this project, I have been purchasing multiples of 3 of everything. I have one 2560 wired to a breadboard, this one is my prototyping setup. I make sure everything is working the way I want. The second 2560 setup similar but actually has everything hooked up to a running (20G Long) Tank with no livestock, to see things working in action. The Third will be the final setup.

If I lived 30 min from Sparkfun I'd be broke.
See my earlier posts where I made a PCB using Fritzing. I can send the files if youre interested but it was my first board and there is a lot I would do different now. What program are you guys using?

it looks like the website where one of the javascript file is downloaded from is down, so the graph will not display on the webpage.
I'll update this so it downloads it from the controller sd card. You will just need to upload the files to the sd card (with the shorter 8.3 filename). I'll post the update here when I finish it.

ok, the website hosting the javascript file is up again. I'll see if a fix is needed. I've been using the sites to get the javascript and css for over a year now with no problem.

D0ughb0y -

What do you think about hosting those files locally on the sdcard? Eventually those files will go away permanently.

maybe, but those sites are official CDN sites for the javascripts. It's not like the program is illegally getting it from the sites.

you can change it easily, just upload the css and js files to the sd using short 8.3 filename, and change the URL near the start of index.htm.
it's approximately 250kb. It will download faster if it is coming from the CDN sites.

If I recall correctly, that's how I initially did it, that's why I defined the mime types for javascript and css, but figured the page will load faster using the respective javascript websites. The downside is we don't have control when the sites will go offline for whatever reason.

Last edited:
hmmm, the omnipotent website is offline again. I think I will move that file to SD. its the smallest file anyway.

for those who want to use a copy of the javascript from the sd card, upload the attached .js file (unzip first) to the SD card using curl command

curl -0 -v -T jqslmin.js http://user:pwd@hostip:8000/upload/jqslmin.js

then edit your index.htm file, search for

text

Code:
"http://omnipotent.net/jquery.sparkline/2.1.2/jquery.sparkline.min.js"
and replace with

Code:
"jqslmin.js"
you may want to save the index.htm to a different filename, say index2.htm, so you can use this one if the javascript site is down.

Then upload index2.htm to SD card using curl command.

Attachments

• jqslmin.zip
    12.4 KB · Views: 3
the javascript server is back online. I tested adding code to enable content caching on browser, and even with caching the 45k file takes 900ms to complete and 1.5 seconds to complete without caching. Getting it from the CDN takes only 70ms. So unless the javascript server has gone out of business, it is best to retrieve the javascript from their respective servers.

d0ughb0y, I know that i read earlier that you said that you were not going to setup any LEDs for the contoller but all I would need to do was drop my code in the main loop in order to get it working. Is the code on the web UI developed to controll the LEDs? I.e. kind of like the jaebos?

basic LED control I will add, but will be after I complete the doser code. Iin case some people need it sooner, they can add their own LED code in the main loop, but that will not have any web interface.

There are a lot of selection for LED lights now, that it is almost not feasible to DIY anymore. And they now come with controller and not just a simple on/off switch.

Thanks for the quick reply... I have a controller for my diy leds..but would like to be able to control everything from one source:) also this is an awesome build...looking forward to seeing the added doser function

Qucik question regarding the stereo jacks. Finding soime with 3 pin, and some with 11 pin. Which is preferred? Does it matter?

For instance, these are 11 pin. These are 3. Even finding some 5s and 4s. Is 3.5mm the size I want?

good question. to simplify things, you want to get the 3 pins, so less pins to solder, otherwise, really should not matter. The links do not provide a spec or connection diagram, but I think most of the contacts will be unconnected, redundant or some kind of Normally open or normally closed switch, so you just need to solder 3 pins.

there are some connections that require the 4 connectors, like the LCD and Ultrasonic sensor, so you may want to look for those, as they are harder to find. I think I got mine from digikey, and the pins do not fit a protoboard spacing exactly, so I have to bend the pins.

be careful when looking for jacks with 4 connectors. like this one, if you read the review, it is actually a 3 pin jack.
http://www.amazon.com/Panel-Female-...06TU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1405973292&sr=8-3

when wiring to the connectors, always connect ground to the sleeve (the contact closes to the plug body), and if connection has +5 or +12 power, wire that to the plug tip connection.

It's funny the audio jack came up today. I ordered my parts last week from Sparkfun, and got everything together for my prototype board, and couldn't figure out why my temp sensor wasn't working. Here to find out my audio jacks were TRRS and audio plus were TRS. Oops

How long it take for the parts to come in? Going to order tomorrow probably from Amazon so they will be here by Thursday. Wife is out of town for next 3 days so I will be able to work on it uninterrupted Thursday and Friday.

Got a link on the parts you ordered (the correct ones)?

It's funny the audio jack came up today. I ordered my parts last week from Sparkfun, and got everything together for my prototype board, and couldn't figure out why my temp sensor wasn't working. Here to find out my audio jacks were TRRS and audio plus were TRS. Oops

A TRS plug should work with a TRRS jack. You can connect the GND to either the S(leeve) or the R(ing) next to the sleeve, as the Sleeve of the plug will contact both terminals of the jack.

I only see one TRRS jack from sparkfun, did you get the one with SMD mount or the one with breakout?

I got this diagram from sparkfun for their trrs jack

bfz1U01.jpg

if you plug in a TRS plug, the sleeve of the TRS plug will contact both pins 1 and 4 of the TRRS jack in the diagram above.

Last edited:
d0ughb0y -

I bough the SMD version. I was looking over those exact diagrams and going to fix my cabling tonight or tomorrow and see if it works correctly.

chucklez -

I live about 30 minutes away from Sparkfun. So I just stop by on my way home from work and pick stuff up same day. Might cost me a little more, but the fact I can have it same day is worth it to me.

Back