My Neptune Apex web interface compatible DIY reef controller

do you have a link? I browsed there and all I can find are ones with square notch. The jebao pump connector has the triangle notch.

ok, let me know how it fits. It is harder to find the connector with triangle notch.

did you get the jebao pump only?

I see them listed on ebay for $32, $45 and $50 for WP-10, WP-25 and WP-40 respectively.

I actually got 2 x WP10's (building a 40G Breeder Tank) with Controllers. I paid $90 for the set on eBay last week. I actually have one of the controllers with me at work on my desk. Thought I would take it apart when I wasn't busy. Worse case I can always take the cabling from the Controller.

I received my parts the other day, and I am thinking for some reason i ordered the wrong temp sensor.

For some reason i received this, and never got the actual probe. Should I be looking for something closer to this?

I received my parts the other day, and I am thinking for some reason i ordered the wrong temp sensor.

For some reason i received this, and never got the actual probe. Should I be looking for something closer to this?

yes that is the wrong temp sensor, The only way to used something like that is to make it water proof

yes you need the second one.
If you do get the second one like the one in your link, make sure to coat the metal with platidip or similar coating. salt water will corrode the stainless steel of these temp probes.
or if you get 5, you can replace every 6 months or so. I think my first one lasted 7 months. You know its bad when you start getting random temp readings.

Also, your link is for probe with 1meter cable. That is too should. Look for another listing for the same probe, but with 2 meter cable.

The other option is get the one from sparkfun, it comes with 6ft cable.
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11050

Pull off the chip, solder some wires to it and pack it in a cheap pen case then seal with silicone. Works like a champ and you can have it done in 20 minutes. Or I have a factory one that I can send you free, just PM me the address.

Fat

Pull off the chip, solder some wires to it and pack it in a cheap pen case then seal with silicone. Works like a champ and you can have it done in 20 minutes. Or I have a factory one that I can send you free, just PM me the address.

Fat
Hmm. Kind of like that idea. I have one of those translucent neon colored plastic shot glass things from wife's Texas Roadhouse margarita I been planning on turning into bristleworm trap. I can repurpose it for use as a thermometer. Stylish AND thrifty.

Doughboy - I've had my temperature reading go to 32 three times now, and each time I've had to swap the sensor with another one in order for it to start reading correctly. Looking in the log, it seems to have happened when the power went out and the controller started up with a message in the log that the temp init failed. The sensors are all new, and I've been able to swap them back and forth after this happened the first time so it doesnt appear to be a problem with the sensor or wiring. Have you seen anything like this happen to you before? BTW - I'm using your latest build but this problem started prior to that. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Doughboy - I've had my temperature reading go to 32 three times now, and each time I've had to swap the sensor with another one in order for it to start reading correctly. Looking in the log, it seems to have happened when the power went out and the controller started up with a message in the log that the temp init failed. The sensors are all new, and I've been able to swap them back and forth after this happened the first time so it doesnt appear to be a problem with the sensor or wiring. Have you seen anything like this happen to you before? BTW - I'm using your latest build but this problem started prior to that. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Do you have the 3.3k pullup resistor connected between pin D48 and +5 pin?
The only other thing that can cause this is loose connection.

Try running the OneWire example for ds18b20 that came with arduino install. Make sure to change the onewire pin number to 48. Make sure the temperature is displaying correctly using this test program. If not, continue looking for the loose connection.

You get a reading of 32 if the program is unable to read anything from the sensor.

I tried the sample program and it displays the correct temperature, and then when I reload the program the temperature works again - so I was assuming it was something in the code causing this. It's very intermittent, but next time it happens I'll troubleshoot it in more detail.

d0ughb0y -

Off-topic/On-Topic, have you looked at the Jebao DC Return Pumps? I'm thinking about ordering a DC-6000. Just curious if the PWM signal on those is 5v as well.

d0ughb0y -

Off-topic/On-Topic, have you looked at the Jebao DC Return Pumps? I'm thinking about ordering a DC-6000. Just curious if the PWM signal on those is 5v as well.

see my post #675. From looking at the picture, it looks like the same 5v PWM.

I still have not decided if I should get a DC-3000 or 6000. I currently use an eheim 1260 set at about 70%. I figure at 4ft head height, the flow rate I'm getting with the current pump is about 300-320gph.

I believe the 3000 costs like $72 shipped and 6000 costs $108 shipped.

I tried the sample program and it displays the correct temperature, and then when I reload the program the temperature works again - so I was assuming it was something in the code causing this. It's very intermittent, but next time it happens I'll troubleshoot it in more detail.

In theory, if the chauvet temp code is unmodified and configured properly, there should be no difference between that and the OneWire sample sketch. If it works on one, it will work on the other. In case it is not working on both, then you know its a hardware issue. But if it works on one but not the other, then it is a software issue.

Same goes for all the other components (ultrasonic, lcd, atlas sensor). So best if you can keep all your individual component test sketch in a separate folder. For feeder, ATO and PWM, you have to rely on the chauvet program for testing. I think I might have a feeder test program somewhere. I'll post it if I can find it.

I pulled the trigger, and went with the DC-3000. I think the DC-6000 would be just way to much on a 40G Breeder I'm setting up.

ok. Let me know how it works. You can use H1 on the unused pwm channel and control the level from there.
what return pump are you currently using?

This is a new build, so there is currently nothing hooked up. I'm building a 40G Breeder for my daughter. I will do a build thread for it once I get it up and cycling.

thank you d0ughb0y
i was had same issue for the temperature reading 32
also after 5 min my apex hang and my relay switch ON OFF and LCD Flashing
i do not know why ?

after i put fan in side the box to cool the Arduino

all problem solve

may be the heat is the problem

todddye

can you try to cool your apex

thanks all

Back