My Neptune Apex web interface compatible DIY reef controller

I like the sonic sensor as well. However they are VERY SENSITIVE to water. So make sure you coat the electronics in something to protect them.

I just coated mine with leftover Clear Silicone I used to install my baffles in my sump. Doesn't look nice, only because I did it this morning at 5:00am before I went to work. I'll do another tonight, and make it look nice. Also I'm only doing the backside where all the electronics are, not the face side where the sensors are.

Hey d0ughb0y,
I notice in the sensor section the ph0 and ph1. The reading for the ph0 is the same for the ph1.

I just uploaded to github the fix to this problem.
fix is in index.htm and index.gz.

I'm done with basic pwm fan code. just need to add the webpage code.
I'm going to use temp based on/off for fan, and alert if it is supposed to be on and rpm reading is 0.

I also started on the revised LED code. I'm going to write my own routines to send commands to the PCA9685, as there are a bunch of things I would code differently from the adafruit library. I might get my pca9685 board this saturday.

Last edited:
Hi guys, I am looking for a controller mainly to control my two BML LED fixtures. One is full spectrum and another one Super Actinic so I would like to have Sunrise/Sunset on one channel and a Moon cycle on another one. Do I need to buy all the parts listed on the first page? And If I would like to upgrade with a temp and Ph sensors in a future will be it a problem?
I would like also to say that what are you doing here is amazing. I really like the web interface and all the functionality that you can get. Keep it up a nice work guys!

hi all

doughboy i am doing the changes to the .h and .cpp files you have in the github instructions
i have run into a wall on the ethernetclient.cpp when i try to do the modification it says access denied should have installed a copy of ethernet in my sketch folder were the rest of the DL`s went ?

Hi guys, I am looking for a controller mainly to control my two BML LED fixtures. One is full spectrum and another one Super Actinic so I would like to have Sunrise/Sunset on one channel and a Moon cycle on another one. Do I need to buy all the parts listed on the first page? And If I would like to upgrade with a temp and Ph sensors in a future will be it a problem?
I would like also to say that what are you doing here is amazing. I really like the web interface and all the functionality that you can get. Keep it up a nice work guys!

how many channels are in the fixtures?
I'm still working on the LED code. I think it should work to build for LED initially and add components later.

hi all

doughboy i am doing the changes to the .h and .cpp files you have in the github instructions
i have run into a wall on the ethernetclient.cpp when i try to do the modification it says access denied should have installed a copy of ethernet in my sketch folder were the rest of the DL`s went ?

you must edit the copy of the file in your arduino program libraries folder (not any other copy, since that is the one that arduino will use).

if you installed arduino into C:\Program Files (x86) folder, you can try copying the files to another location, edit it then copy it back.

Last edited:
do you know if your fixture uses 5v pwm or 10v pwm? I think most recent (probably from last 3-4 years) only use 5v pwm.

I personally also just need 2 channels. So I may make the code configurable to use the mega pwm for up to 3 channels, and only use the pca9685 if more than 3 channels are required. If it turns out to be too complicated, only then I will make using pca9685 not optional.

I got my pca9685 board today. fast shipping with tracking from the ebay seller.
I got my test program to work.
I think it works more efficiently than the adafruit library, more so the more channels used.

I also got a 4 pole (TRRS) splitter so I can connect the pca9685 off of the LCD connection. But the darn splitter only has connections for 3 contacts !@#$#. If any one else is getting a 4 pole splitter from ebay, don't buy from seller shop4x4. If you do find one that is a real 4 pole splitter, please do post the seller name.

Hello All

doughboy i am getting all kinds of error messages when i try to compile any of the examples.

what version of the arduino IDE was it written in i am using the latest one could that possibly be my problem? it is version 1.0.5-r2

I timed the setpwm call and my code and adafruit library takes the same time. however, if I do one batch update to send the command to the board for all 16 channels at once, then the time is reduced to about 1/3( from 214us to 74us per channel). Using 400khz bus takes 1/3 the time using 100khz. So I think this has to work on 400khz setting.

JC,

I had a bunch of compile issues, I'm running Arduino on a Mac.

I found that installing Arduino-0016, with the ammends set out by D0ughb0y, all working fine now.

Once I got an error free compile, I then copied A-1.05 to the directory where A-0016 is located.

As I say, had these errors, these are the steps I took to overcome them.

Sensors.ino: In function 'void updateTemp()':
Sensors:159: error: 'class OneWire' has no member named 'reset2'
Sensors:179: error: 'class OneWire' has no member named 'reset2'

NVM Got it

Last edited:
Ok, need a bit of help to track down the source of my problems.

Awhile back I was having a problem with everything resetting itself, powering off an on. AS well as stalling out on the code and repeated alarm pulses till it would reset itself.

I went through and rebuilt and resoldered everything and re-checked my work. Problem was still there. Finally gave up and figured it was my arduino board that needed to be replaced. Just for kicks I decided to update the arduino code as well as the web face code. Checked everything after updating arduino code, problem persist. Updated the the web pages on the sd card. All problems went away. I checked over and over again to make sure the problem was gone. Everything seemed good to go.

Hooked up the controller to everything on the tank. Everything was going good. Then all of a sudden...bam................every 10 seconds the arduino would power on and off. Anyone have any ideas on what it could be?

Jrossjr79 - funny you mention it. Ran into this, this morning actually. Mine was my heater had a micro crack in it, causing a short with my ATO float sensor. I would turn off all outlets, and disconnect everything, then plug everything in, one at a time..

Had that same idea as well, checked into it. ALthough a bit different. I went one by one plugging in and waiting for a few mins. Did this with all the outlets. Basically each plug was plugged in by itself, tested for a 5 mins, turned off, unplugged, turned on, and on to the next one. and problem persisted with everything with the exception of my heater and fuge light. So it reset with skimmer, return pump, and both wp40s.

went back over the schematics, there is something listed there that I do not have on them, wonder if this could be the problem or not. Supposedly I am suppose to have 130vac MOV across my outlets? Is this a necessarily component? If so, would these get rid of my problem?

Back