My Neptune Apex web interface compatible DIY reef controller

ok so now there is a new problem, I have it hooked up with I2C and it is working perfect, however when I try to to calibrate it there is no opiton on the web server, I have to load a diffrent code to my arduino and do it through the serial monitor. Any thoughts?

ok so now there is a new problem, I have it hooked up with I2C and it is working perfect, however when I try to to calibrate it there is no opiton on the web server, I have to load a diffrent code to my arduino and do it through the serial monitor. Any thoughts?

Should be under:

Logs & Setup> Controller Setup> Sensors> Ph

yes, how ever it showes two temp even though i only have one and no PH, it was there when i was trying to do serial but now it isnt with I2C

#define _TEMP //comment out if no temp probe
#define CELSIUS //uncomment if using celsius unit
#define MAXTEMP 1 //number of temp sensors, up to 3 max, over 3 not recommended
#if !defined(_TEMP)
#define MAXTEMP 0
#endif
//edit the next line to specify the temp sensor name and address pair. One entry for each temp sensor
//The first temp is used to control heater and fan and MUST be present, the rest may not be present.
//#define TEMPDEF {{"Water",{0x28, 0x8F, 0x3D, 0xC0, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00, 0x65}}}
#define TEMPALERT {{24.5,27.5}}

I can say the code does work, if things arnt working locally for you, it is an issue on your setup, and would suggest that config.h is probably the culprit. Time spent ensuring correct parameters is of paramount importance.

I've fallen foul of errors a few times

Last edited:
good day d0ughb0y

i received my

MOD-WIFI-ESP8266-DEV

when you will update the apex ?

thanks

on official espressif.com forum (esp8266.com is not the official site ;)), someone described the flash memory layout that I understood, and recompiled the firmware so it will work on 512kb flash. I think it works (but not 100% certain).
http://bbs.espressif.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=400&start=10#p1662

I am working on the schematic of the led controller. Since I have to limit the board size to 10cmx10cm, I used the esp-01 module for now (I am assuming 512kb flash can still work). Otherwise, it should be simple to wire any other esp module to the esp-01 pins on the board in place of esp-01.

My initial design is for 6-channel pwm (you can use 1 to 6 meanwell LDDs), plus 2 fan drivers. This is what it currently looks like. I need to add mounting holes at the corners, and t is still missing temp probe connection, and I am going to add pin headers to certain signals in the blank space area, like 48V, 12V, 3.3V, I2C, OneWire for temp probe, LED, Serial, Reset, etc. for connecting to other components or if the board is going inside an enclosure. I initially did not plan to use a microSD card, but I added it to the circuit just in case.

The 7805 voltage regulator in the circuit is actually this buck converter from digikey
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/0/945-1648-5-ND
It has the same footprint as a TO-220 7805 regulator.

I added a DC power jack for supply 12v power from a wall wart to power the fans and the teensy circuit. However, I think a good option (for more hardcore DIYers) is to use a buck converter that can take 48V input from LED power supply and set the output to 12v, like this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LM2596HV-DC...462?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d56baf4c6

I plan to get some initial boards done then I can focus on software, which is probably 90% of the work on this.
comments/suggestions on circuit, features, etc. are welcome.
WSnmzoV.png

ekNTPIj.png

Last edited:
It also looks like you have plenty of room on the board for a 12v regulator so that you wouldn't need the additional power plug and power supply on the board and could run everything off of the 48v supply. Have you tried that or thought about that?

free and light version limit is still 8cmx10cm.

I think the circuit can still fit on 8cmx10cm by placing smaller components on the bottom layer and some creative component placement. or using 2 boards by separating the LDDs from the circuit, or just make it 5 channels max. I like everything in one board.

It also looks like you have plenty of room on the board for a 12v regulator so that you wouldn't need the additional power plug and power supply on the board and could run everything off of the 48v supply. Have you tried that or thought about that?

yes, since I only need 5 channels, I was even thinking of overlapping the placement of the 12v buck converter on the 6th LDD. I just thought most people would prefer not to mess around with this. But you are right that the buck converter will fit in the empty space.

any chance on a transistor on one of the pwm channels for a 0-10v dimming signal on the board? maby two?

I just ask because I'm building an LED/T5 hybrid, and 0-10v Dimmable ballasts are cheap as :)

I have a 3'x14"x16" tank and am thinking 2-3 nanobox pucks and 2 36w T5 tubes.... drule

any chance on a transistor on one of the pwm channels for a 0-10v dimming signal on the board? maby two?

I just ask because I'm building an LED/T5 hybrid, and 0-10v Dimmable ballasts are cheap as :)

I have a 3'x14"x16" tank and am thinking 2-3 nanobox pucks and 2 36w T5 tubes.... drule

I'll see what I can come up with.

off topic.

I'm happy and thankful my daughter graduated from college today.

DpkuDrj.png

with a degree in Computer Science at UC Berkeley :celeb2:

Last edited:
Back