My Neptune Apex web interface compatible DIY reef controller

Congratulations

I saw this thread and started reading, all I can say it's above my pay grade , LOL

any chance on a transistor on one of the pwm channels for a 0-10v dimming signal on the board? maby two?

I just ask because I'm building an LED/T5 hybrid, and 0-10v Dimmable ballasts are cheap as :)

I have a 3'x14"x16" tank and am thinking 2-3 nanobox pucks and 2 36w T5 tubes.... drule

do you want 0-10v analog dimming, that is what i did with mine, i actually have a PCB layout that uses 2 of the PWM pump channels for 0-10v analog dimming.

Thanks all.

I revised the schematic and used the buck converter for 12v, and added the 10v PWM. I did not add a capacitor so this is a 10v PWM square wave. I think this will work with any device that requires analog or digital signal. If not, let me know and I can add a capacitor. I used an LM358 op-amp with 3x gain to get the 10v PWM (3.3x3=9.99v) PWM5 and PWM6 have both LDD outputs and 10v PWM. If you just need to use the 10v PWM, you don't have to install LDD for either channel 6 or both 5 and 6.

I used secure connectors for the LED connections (screw terminal blocks), molex headers for Fans, and 3 pin jst-xh for temp probe.

It is quite time consuming to use eagle. I used the autorouter and the final board has 32 vias. I did several runs after rearranging parts. I don't know if I can do a better job using manual routing.

Tips, comments, changes, suggestions, welcome.

Thanks.

SUoXA55.png

I hid the top and bottom layer to better see the parts placement.
zEbeT9W.png

Last edited:
Wow that board is turning out pretty nice. The buck converter is pretty huge. Did you look at using the Meanwell SCW instead? It's slightly smaller than the LDD-H and would give you some room back on the board. The RJ45 jack you chose is also the extra deep version. You could save some more space be using one of the more compact versions.

Those are my only comments or suggestions. Really looking pretty nice. Krazie :jester:

been awhile since I been here, but just got my Foscam IP Camera, and for some reason when I put in the IP address of the camera, the web page tells me Unable To Load Images. What do I still need to do to fix this.

I don't know yet where to get the boards made. I was thinking seed. do they charge for shipping? it's ok if they ship fast. I checked dirtypcbs. How is their free shipping? does it really take up to 8weeks delivery time? with dhl shipping, the cost goes up to $40.

This is the latest version of the board as rendered by oshpark pcb order verifier. I don't think I'll use oshpark, it costs like $75 there.

KrazieA, I overlayed the meanwell SCW over the LM2596HV module (with dashed outline), so users can take their pick, use meanwell or the LM2596HV module. The LM2596HV module is about 10mm longer than the SCW module.

I used 80mils for the 48V lines, 20mils for the 12v and the LED output lines, and 10mils for the rest. You can kinda see the trace width connecting the LDD +In pads.

tVrvsf5.png

Last edited:
Last time I used them it only took 3 weeks with the standard shipping but even with DHL it's still a good price
I would buy 2 or 3 off you if that helps :)

really do wish I could make boards like that would like to take every thing from page one and put it on a board and put it under that board and stack them simple fast and elegant

New board with Teensy 3.1 looks nice!
Still what kind of communication you will use for connection with main reef controller? I notice RJ45 connector so I guess this is intended for communcation but to what device?
As many of reefers who already own your reef controller still use some T8 or T5 lights with electronic ballasts I hope some kind solution could be found also for them? In this way all sorts of lights would be covered.

I don't know yet where to get the boards made. I was thinking seed. do they charge for shipping? it's ok if they ship fast. I checked dirtypcbs. How is their free shipping? does it really take up to 8weeks delivery time? with dhl shipping, the cost goes up to $40.

This is the latest version of the board as rendered by oshpark pcb order verifier. I don't think I'll use oshpark, it costs like $75 there.

KrazieA, I overlayed the meanwell SCW over the LM2596HV module (with dashed outline), so users can take their pick, use meanwell or the LM2596HV module. The LM2596HV module is about 10mm longer than the SCW module.

I used 80mils for the 48V lines, 20mils for the 12v and the LED output lines, and 10mils for the rest. You can kinda see the trace width connecting the LDD +In pads.

top.png

if you send me the eagle file i might be able to etch some PCBs they just wont have plated through holes so i may need to move some stuff around a bit, i emailed you my config.h so you should have my email

really do wish I could make boards like that would like to take every thing from page one and put it on a board and put it under that board and stack them simple fast and elegant

i have an layout in eagle that has everything from page one including 2 0-10v analog PWM dimming, it is basically a big shield, the arduino on bottom,board in middle and ethernet shield on top, uses 3.5mm sterio jacks for the inputs and is set up for DIY PCB etching with out plated through holes

Nice. Then just submit that to an online board maker and your pre wired board is already completed? After you buy the components.

Last edited:
I use the toner transfer method it works well I can do a board in about 20 min or so depending on how many holes I need to drill

ok, I just realized I completely forgot to add the battery for the RTC. :)
the teensy has built in rtc, but you have to solder a crystal to smd pads at the bottom of the teensy.

I don't have RJ45 on the board. The rectangle with 8 through hole connections is the ESP-01 wifi module.

I'm waiting for some of the parts I ordered to arrive so I can make sure the placement on the pcb and the eagle parts I used are correct before I send it to the pcb maker.

Back