My New 100 Gallon Shallow Rimless SPS Build

Sorry to hear about the bad news but glad to hear things are on the mend. Your heart would have dropped when you saw it!

Having a light fixture fall is also a concern with my new setup too. My ceiling is concrete and I have used x4 anchor bolts to hold the light fixture up.

it's not that the light fell because of short install error on my part or an accident. the cable was torched and welded to have a "nipple" for a stop gap. the nipple came apart and wham! light in tank! it must have made a loud noise because the dog would not come out of his crate to greet me!

The Reef Gods must have got you and I confused for one day - That is something that would have happened to me! Really though, as bad of luck that it is - you are sooo lucky that you didn't do more damage to your tank.

This would suck with any type of fixture, let alone when you easily dumped a $1,000+ on one. That is too bad about the Infiniti, but with the design of that thing I wouldn't be surpised if you could replace the "insides" and make use of it still. Your MH halide ballasts still good? If it is just T5 bulbs, endcaps, ballasts, and the MH bulb endcaps - it might be do-able.

Oh and the powder blue tang - you can just look at them wrong and they get ick. I actually had a separate tank just for hyposalinity for that stinking fish. Been there, done that.

What fixture are you planning on replacing it with? Too bad you just missed a great deal on a used Infiniti...

there are 2 ballast for the t5's and both had blown fuses. it was difficult to open up the ballast but i did and replaced both fuses. got one of the t5's bank working but the other is dead. one of the ballast for the HQI was also blown. basically i have 1/2 a unit working. after recovering from shock and awe, i may try to rebuild the darn light when i get a chance but right now i just had to get any fixture as fast as possible. i bought the Giesseman Neptune 2x 250MH ans 2 t5's as a replacement. it should hopefully be here friday.

Awesome Update. I ordered a Giesemann Neptune Pro 2 x250 watt HQI + 2T5's to hold me over till i figured out what to do about my Giesemann Infinity and this is what i came up with. Earlier I spoke to customdusty who had a infinity 2 x150 and he was thinking on upgrading his to 2 x 250 so i followed that thought process. I called Giesemann and they said all i had to do was replace the 150 clips to the 250 clips, get 2 new ballast (the Neptune Pro's) and the infinity would work. The 2 ballast for the t5's were ruined when the fell into the water so i priced them at $90 each for a total of $180 so i was about to give up on repairing the lights until i found the exact t5 ballast for $16 each on ebay. I ordered them and repaired the t5's and they are now working. I ordered the 250 clips at $35 each and will replace them next week. So by the end of next week i will have a upgraded new Giesemann Infinity 2x250 watt +4 T5's with all Giesemann original parts for just over $100.

Awesome Update. I ordered a Giesemann Neptune Pro 2 x250 watt HQI + 2T5's to hold me over till i figured out what to do about my Giesemann Infinity and this is what i came up with. Earlier I spoke to customdusty who had a infinity 2 x150 and he was thinking on upgrading his to 2 x 250 so i followed that thought process. I called Giesemann and they said all i had to do was replace the 150 clips to the 250 clips, get 2 new ballast (the Neptune Pro's) and the infinity would work. The 2 ballast for the t5's were ruined when the fell into the water so i priced them at $90 each for a total of $180 so i was about to give up on repairing the lights until i found the exact t5 ballast for $16 each on ebay. I ordered them and repaired the t5's and they are now working. I ordered the 250 clips at $35 each and will replace them next week. So by the end of next week i will have a upgraded new Giesemann Infinity 2x250 watt +4 T5's with all Giesemann original parts for just over $100.

Wow!
Very cool. What are you going to do with the other lights now?
New tank? ;)

Wow!
Very cool. What are you going to do with the other lights now?
New tank? ;)

RU NUTS! lol, gonna hold on to it for now as a spare until i'm 100% comfortable that i won't need it then probably sell just the fixture without the ballast.

Well I've now replaced my lights and the tank looks better than ever. I'm still going to repair the old fixture by weekend and go back to the original Giesemann fixture. Here's a few pics of the tank since the accident and there was absolutely no photoshop done to the pictures other than resize, cropping, and putting my name on it.

FTS

IMG_0348-1.jpg

Left Island

IMG_0354-1.jpg

Right island

IMG_0355.jpg

Sweet shots!
Still nothing from Geisemann yet, I am losing faith in this company but i'll call again tomorrow to find out what the status of my warranty on the ballast is and where my hanging kit is located at the moment.....

I find it amazing that Geisemann takes so long to response to the urgent needs of reefers.

On another note: I went by Reefahoy's to see the tank after he converted the 150w Geiseman to 250w with his new EVA 20K lights and 4 T5s. Absolutely the best changes he has made on the lighting. The colors are just popping without the blue effects. The sand is white and corals are colorful. Now comes the hard part...BEING PATIENT!!!

When you walking to the his house, the first thing to catch your eye is the tank. The contrast and colors of the corals stops you at the door. The 20k light is not as bright as the 10k to the eyes. You get feeling of looking at a piece of the South Pacific in his living room.

Keep up the good work and be patient my friend.

Just for you dobly 1999. been playing around with my wifes point and shoot trying to get a macro. this is what i came up with but still learning how to take pictures.

IMG_0367-1.jpg

IMG_0360.jpg

a couple new additions of corals. love the acans and clam. I'm using the 2 x 250 watt HQI. I chose the EVC 20K bulbs and absolutely love the spectrum. Initally when i first turned on the fixture with the new bulbs i hated the spectrum. After the burn in period the blue is alot less and for me perfect. I now run the fixture without t5's supplements during the day and just use them for the dusk and dawn periods. These EVC bulbs rock! The below pictures are with the HQI's only. I think i've found the bulbs that i will now use exclusively

IMG_0392.jpg

IMG_0395.jpg

Last edited:
Everything is looking great! No worries about the frag rack, but get those things mounted and it will fill in nicely :) Looks just like SunnyX's tank not so long ago, and I think you are on the same path - which is a complement.

Looks like it is going really well, can't wait to watch it mature. :beer:

Everything is looking great! No worries about the frag rack, but get those things mounted and it will fill in nicely :) Looks just like SunnyX's tank not so long ago, and I think you are on the same path - which is a complement.

Looks like it is going really well, can't wait to watch it mature. :beer:

Hey thanks! yeah sunnyx is da beast! when i grow up i want to have a tank like him. yeah i gotta get some of the frags on the rocks but between being lazy, busy at work and not knowing where to put them they just stay on the rack.

Hi Reefsahoy, your tank looks amazing! well done! Quick question, what type of brain coral is that bright red one behind the clam?

Wow Nick-- your tank is looking GREAT-- sorry about your light issue awhile back, but looks like u turned it into a blessing. Now we have the same light :) What kind of calcium reactor media do u use btw? And when are u coming back up my way?

Back