My New 100 Gallon Shallow Rimless SPS Build

Pondwater, grevedin thanks! I have no idea what type of brain coral that is or if it's even a brain!lol I just buy corals that i believe i can keep alive and well. sorry but maybe someone else can chime in and let us both know.

Wow Nick-- your tank is looking GREAT-- sorry about your light issue awhile back, but looks like u turned it into a blessing. Now we have the same light :) What kind of calcium reactor media do u use btw? And when are u coming back up my way?

Thanks John, Yeah in the end i just upgraded the light to the 250 version. The ca reactor media is this
18400525.jpg

I will be in G'ville around the end of this month to pick up my daughter from GATORLAND! Got something on your mind?

just took a 2 left shots. bought the brown acro like a month ago, hopefully it will color up!

IMG_0427.jpg

and

IMG_0426.jpg

and 2 right shots but i think one of them wasn't really focused properly

IMG_0428.jpg

IMG_0429.jpg

Last edited:
More fabulous pics!! You're doing great, the new colony looks like the only brown(ish) thing in there, so I'm sure you'll work your magic on it. Didn't have anything in mind regarding Gville, but if u guys need some dinner or anything let me know. I'd trade some frags but nothing in my tank grows. I'm getting pretty annoyed lately. When u get a chance can u measure how high u keep the bottom of your fixture above the actual waterline? Maybe I'm giving too much light? Where do u keep your alk at? How many fish do u have, tried counting in your pics-- about 9 or 10? Are u dosing anything besides fish food? How much & how often are your water changes? I need to start doing what you're doing because my tank is/has been stuck in neutral for a while now.

More fabulous pics!! You're doing great, the new colony looks like the only brown(ish) thing in there, so I'm sure you'll work your magic on it. Didn't have anything in mind regarding Gville, but if u guys need some dinner or anything let me know. I'd trade some frags but nothing in my tank grows. I'm getting pretty annoyed lately. When u get a chance can u measure how high u keep the bottom of your fixture above the actual waterline? Maybe I'm giving too much light? Where do u keep your alk at? How many fish do u have, tried counting in your pics-- about 9 or 10? Are u dosing anything besides fish food? How much & how often are your water changes? I need to start doing what you're doing because my tank is/has been stuck in neutral for a while now.

Hey, I hope your family is doing great and thanks for the dinner offer! If you don't mind, I will try and pass by you when i come to the ville to check out your tank. As far as lighting, I don't think that would be the problem because i move mine up/down without even considering where i put it because IMHO at 20" deep the tank will get enough light. My alk is not that stable either as most people would like you to believe it should. At times i've measured 6.0 and other times i measure 11. When i measure those extreems i adjust for like around 9ish. I measure alk, ca, and mg about once a month. I do dose vodka and mb7 about 2 times a week (1ml vodka and 4 drops MB7). i find if i increase i get like a fine white hair like algae on the window so i dose touch and go using my eye to determine when i need to. I also dose 10 drops of Brightwells replenish and 1 drop lugols iodine about 2 times a week (garbage days! lol) I believe i have like 12 fish. Don't give up, if my memory serves me correct, i think you have all the right equipment required.

Well your no help;) I definitely could use some more fish, I only have 2 damsels, 3 cardinals & a small flame. Was thinking about going back to my Schuran Ca reactor to try and stabilize alk more, I've been manually 2 parting for about a year now-- although I've never had great growth. Maybe I should test for stray voltage. What about your water change schedule?
Anyway, just let me know when you're coming & whether I need to place an order with the chef/wife. Are u by chance going to the coral farmer's market in Orlando end of May?

Well your no help;) I definitely could use some more fish, I only have 2 damsels, 3 cardinals & a small flame. Was thinking about going back to my Schuran Ca reactor to try and stabilize alk more, I've been manually 2 parting for about a year now-- although I've never had great growth. Maybe I should test for stray voltage. What about your water change schedule?
Anyway, just let me know when you're coming & whether I need to place an order with the chef/wife. Are u by chance going to the coral farmer's market in Orlando end of May?

I personally perfer a ca reactor. I had a dosing pump but didn't like it. My water chnange is approx 15 gals every 2 to 3 weeks. I had a flame once and got rid of it because of the nipping. i'm not going to the corals farmer's market because ii'll be in europe, Budapest, for vacation then, assuming no volcano in iceland. i found out about the darn show after i scheduled the flight. I had scheduled it then so i could take my daughter with us. Thanks again for the food offer but i'd hate to put you and your family out. BTW i got some frags if you'd like. I sould be coming up April 29 late, say around 11 pm ish. if you like i can bring a few frags and give them to you either that night or early am next day. LMK.

Gotta say I have been following this thread for a since last July and you have inspired me to get a Reef Savvy tank built. Felix is a really nice guy and does beautiful work..... Keep an eye out for my 100 gal build soon.

Now i gotta catch up with the Jones :lol:

Gotta say I have been following this thread for a since last July and you have inspired me to get a Reef Savvy tank built. Felix is a really nice guy and does beautiful work..... Keep an eye out for my 100 gal build soon.

Now i gotta catch up with the Jones :lol:

Wow, I'm honored to have anyone inspired! I will keep an eye out for your new tank! Reefsavy makes a real nice tank. I believe his work rivals elos to be honest! the best part is you get it built to your design. I would definitely have him build any new tank i decide to get! BTW tell him i said hello!

Thanks Ceegee. if there's anything i can do to help, lmk!

Wow! Thanks for the offer. I may have to hit you up! I should send you some pics of a couple of my painting if you are a stooges fan. My daughters and myself absolutely love them.

Updated new pictures 6/27/2010. I should have waited till the kalk drip dissipated so the water would be more clear but i had nothing else to do today so i took some pics.

FTS
IMG_0920-1.jpg

left island

IMG_0921.jpg

Right island
IMG_0922.jpg

Awesome tank! Love the purple birdsnest where did you get it? Dose it have a name other than just purple birdsnest?

Back