My New 300DD!!!

I was on the Ecotech forum and they recommended 6 to light it properly (I wasn't sure if that was just marketing or real world though). I'll be interested in what your experience is. I've been going back and forth between the Radions and Kessils.

FYI, vortechs and reeflink isn't syncABLE yet.

Also, I burned all of my SPS on the top floor maintaining 40% on the gen3pro

I was coming from gen2 and figure it would be almost the same. Wrong....:headwallblue:

Last edited:
I was just about to post a thread looking for larger zoa frags before the meeting this upcoming Saturday. Looking forward to your FS thread

I was on the Ecotech forum and they recommended 6 to light it properly (I wasn't sure if that was just marketing or real world though). I'll be interested in what your experience is. I've been going back and forth between the Radions and Kessils.

I've seen the same thing on different forums and used to see it on the ecotech forum, but the last advice I got from them was three with the wide angle optics ramped up to 70-75%. Kessil is a good light too, but reef link is far more convenient then the Kessil manual dim IMO.

FYI, vortechs and reeflink isn't syncABLE yet.

Also, I burned all of my SPS on the top floor maintaining 40% on the gen3pro

I was coming from gen2 and figure it would be almost the same. Wrong....:headwallblue:

Yep, haha. Should be linkable by the end of the month, which I am really looking forward to.

With the 120 optics and the long term acclimation mode, I should be safeish :)

I was just about to post a thread looking for larger zoa frags before the meeting this upcoming Saturday. Looking forward to your FS thread

Yep, I'll keep you in the loop.

Well, since I'm hosting the meeting on Saturday I figured I'd bring this old thread back to life :)

I'll post some updated pics after the meeting, but things have changed substantially since the ole 300DD's inception. I'm well on my way to running full SPS system after finally getting the chemistry thing nailed down (for the most part). I'm still a noob, but I'd like to think that the tank has potential :D

- I've managed to keep a sandbed with the tank instead of biting the bullet and going BB.
- I run ROWA Phos (changed every other week), minimal biopellets, and I do a daily filter sock change.
- I use Reef Crystals and do weekly 35 gallon Water changes @ 1.0255
- I have a big 10" Octopus Diablo Skimmer (DC Pumps are crap BTW).
- I have a refugium with Chaeto and that crazy blue macro that ORA sells. I run the lights about 14 hours a day on the refugium and clean it out on weeks that I don't switch out my media.
- I Test twice weekly for Alk, once for Calc and once for phosphate. I test for Mag every other week (It has never not been 1300+ so I don't dose).
-I've Gone full Ecotech for lighting and flow with Radion Pro G3s (w/120 optics), MP-60s and MP-40s all tied together with reeflink (awesome system!)
- I've also finally hooked up my profilux doser and am dosing about 3 gallons of calc and alk a month. I'll probably end up with a GEO CR624 or CR818 within the next year or so, probably in line with adding a small frag system.
- I feed my fish a combinations of Rods Food, Mysis, Live Brine, Nori, Flake and a couple different pellets.
- I haven't made a concerted effort to feed my corals yet due to trying to keep my nutrient levels in check, but once things settle I'm going to do the Pappone homemade stuff and reef frenzy.
- I feed a lot and my fish are healthier for it. Instead of cutting back on feedings I just improved my nutrient export, which I've found to be one of the most important aspects of the hobby.

For the future, I'm looking at doing a Deep Blue 80 gallon frag system, and remote sump after letting everything grow out for 6-8 months. I have a little one on the way and I don't want to be tied up in my tank for hours on end, I just want to watch it (and my future little one) grow ;)

I look forward to seeing all of you on Saturday!

Here's the current stocking list. I know this isn't all of the SPS, but its what I could name haha :)

SPS:
ORA Frogskin
ORA Red Planet
ORA Green Planet
ORA Miami Orchid
ORA Cali Tort
ORA Joe the Coral
ORA Oregon Tort
ORA Marshall Islands Bottlebrush
ORA Bird of Paradise
ORA Pearlberry
ORA Hyacinth Birdsnest
ORA Pink Birdsnest
ORA Green Birdsnest
ORA Blue Birdsnest
ORA Hawkins Echinata
Blue Tip Stag
Paletta Pink Tip Stag
Tyree Ultimate Stag
REAL!!! Purple Monster
Green Hulk Acro
Bali Green Slimer
Raspberry Limeade
Garf Bonsai
Tricolor
Spongodes
Sand Dollar Monti
Idaho Grape Cap
Red Cap
Tyree Lime in the Sky
Steve Elias Stag
Red Dragon
Exquisita
Acro Nana
20k Lokani
30k Lokani
Granulosa
Peach Digi
Forest Fire Digi
Palmers Blue Mille
Aqua Delight
Tyree Pink Lemonade
WWC Banana Special
Sexy Corals Rainbow Hyacinthus
Vivid Aquariums Sunset Mille
WWC Pink Passion
Blue Hoeki
Copps Rainbow Mille
Tri Color Valida
Rainbow Pocillopora
Pink Lemonade Mille
King Midas Cap
Loripes
WWC Sunset Monti
WWC Purple Body Pink Polyp Monti (Forgot the name)
Jedi Mind Trick
Bennet Yellow Tort
Yellow Caroliniana
Candlelight Concert
Acroberry
Pink Table
Shades of Fall
Roger’s Monitpora Undata
Blue Echinata
Listen2Bob’s Milli #1
Listen2bob’s Milli #2
Four or Five of Emmett’s that I can’t remember

Zoas:
God Of War
Utter Chaos
Wild
Armor of the Gods
Captain Americas

Rics and Yumas:
Roger’s Green Yuma
Gold and Blue Rics
Emmett’s Green and Yellow Ric (still waiting on the other one ☹)
Orange and Blue Florida Rics
Dark Green Ric Garden

Chalices:
Hollywood Stunner
Miami Hurricane
Neon Orange Chalice
Alien Eyes Chalice
Dark Green Body, Neon Green Eye Chalice
Blue Body Pink/Red Eye Chalice
Blood Red Chalice

LPS:
Dragon Soul Favia Colony
War Coral Colony
Blue and Yellow I have no idea from Nwest
Blastomussa
Rainbow Acan
Reddish Acan
Five or six other FAOIS no names ☺

Clams:
8”+ Squamosa
5”+ Derasa
3”+ “Tron” Maxima

Fish:
Blonde Naso Tang
Purple Tang
Yellow Eye Kole Tang
Fowleri Tang
Spotted Unicorn Tang (not a vlamingi)
8-9 Oversized Mutant Blue Green Chromis
2 Ocellaris Clowns Hosting a Tyree Green Toadstool
Spotbreast Angelfish (female for the moment)
Solar Wrasse
Ornate Leapord Wrasse
Christmas Wrasse
Starry Blenny
Royal Gramma
Magnificent Foxface
Green Mandarin Goby

Miscellaneous Inverts:
Mated Pair of Blood Red Fire Shrimp
Cleaner Shrimp “Jacques”
Coral Banded Shrimp or two
Acro Crab
Couple of Emerald Crabs
Various Hermits
2-3 Baseball sized Mexican Turbo Snails
Breeding Trochus Clan
Bunch of tiny limpets that came from nowhere

Looks great Chad, wish I could have made it to the meeting, got caught up with work.

Really like what you did with the new aquascape.

Pics obviously do Chad's tank no justice. Just made it by his house and his tank is very impressive.

I know it will mature into something very great.
He has great coral placement and the 300DD has plenty of space for nice colonies.

Back