My Project ★ GENESIS ★ 110G (Miracle) SPS Dream Tank - (II) Build Thread

Great job! Not just patience and fortitude. Keep it stable and clean and no doubt you will find the success you seek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sump Room Reno (Step by Step Video Sequence) Anyone Interesting In Seeing?

So I put my 1080p WebCam overlooking the Sump room when I started the rebuild. Taking a photo after a button push, on each progress point.

Anyone want to see the Room Come together from Scratch to Finish, in a compressed video (10 days in 30 second). Easy to stitch together.

Maybe I'll even add some "Chicken Dance" music or something to make it more entertaining.

Perfectly understand if nobody cares for this kind of stuff.

Sweet! Sweet sweet! It's looking amazing!

Hey I thought of you yesterday W! I saw two beautiful black capped basslets in the wild in 98 ft of water underneath a coral overhang... I have the video to show you :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely.
If it's not time consuming..
Certainly (Worth doing if someone will watch).
Won't take much time except the Camera rebooted a few times and lost it's time....So there are 3-4 sequences that I need to arrange in proper order.

This. Your sump room is a work of art.
Thanks. Appreciate the compliment
Sweet! Sweet sweet! It's looking amazing!
Hey I thought of you yesterday W! I saw two beautiful black capped basslets in the wild in 98 ft of water underneath a coral overhang... I have the video to show you :)
Welcome back. Thanks for the nice words. You'll have to drop by eventually and see things in person.
Funny you should say Black Cap....I called BigShowFrags, and told them about getting me one.

NEW TANK (Kickstarted)....Filled up and Filtered with Circulation. [Burning in New T5 Bulbs]

Yep, staying up again, but this is pure pleasure now. Not Sweat and Slithers.

I first cleared out the Sister Sump Room working area. So can get working on TANK STUFF.....

Since I half filled up tank a while ago, it kind of built up a thin film of slime. I assume that's harmless.

So I filled up the tank (with more Salt Water mix), and Setup a Garbage Sump, to mix up the water, and filter out the slime , plus some dust particulates that got in from the Construction (running thru SOCKS and Some Carbon).

I cleaned glass, and siphoned off any bottom particles.

40020802325_1648f24895.jpg

While working, I had the T5 (100%), since the Dimmable HEP BALLAST Specs say, they should be run at Full Power for about 100 hours, before dimming. 25 hours is reasonable.

TO HELP WITH Particulate FILTRATION I threw in all my Circulation Pumps (Gyre, CP40, and 2 Hydor Koralia)....

27043493208_b6682cdd69_o.jpg

Injecting some air bubbles into Garbage can gave me a feel for overall Tank Circulation.

MATT, you were DEAD on and (Thanks) for suggesting I go with 24" depth
, and not the 18" I was going to do....

I can see with my GYRE at 100%, there is STRONG CIRCULATION, but distributed.

The GARABGE SUMP running was a great way to bring up Salinity to 1.025, since I just TURN OF TANK RETURN (Spinkles Salt into Can, and had a pump to mix it up). Then When Mixed, I let it flow thru tank.

It is everyone's dream to have a fish room like yours.

Share us more on tank stocks migration, please.

Wow, that sump room is impressive. Great job Wally! :thumbsup:

THanks Ed. Some key aspects of this new tank setup were inspired by your knowledgeable input. (Height range of T5 Fixture, Tank Depth, and now your advice on rock scaping).

It is everyone's dream to have a fish room like yours.

Share us more on tank stocks migration, please.
Thanks Shih. Many years ago I stumbled upon your beautiful, high tech tank setup, and that inspired me to do better.

SPS coral success, is still something I need to figure out, and I look up to your success (and folks like Ed, Matt) to do better this time.

SOME HANDS FREE HELP (Automation) Experiment [Amazon Echo DOT Voice control]

So I was fooling around in tank last night. Wish I had a 2nd pair of hands, for turning on pumps, etc (kids won't help).

Reaching for Apex Web page, or controller isn't ideal with wet hands. Or even more problem getting off stool, or both hands in tank...etc

So I have been thinking of adding some voice control for the Home Theatre Lighting in Rec Room next door. (future project).

I'm researching the best option (Echo, Google, and which hub, Zigbee, Lutron, WINK). But no time for full researching.

Then I found this and will give it a QUICK trial.

40030805425_f0bcc30dfc.jpg

No HUB needed with these Wifi Plug switches.
So all I need is Echo DOT, and these modules to turn anything on off.
But I won't be using Module to control Tank. They will control ON/OFF switch to Apex. And Apex will turn on off things.

I can use them to (VOICE CONTROL my APEX)..... send a signal to APEX thru IO Input of Apex.
[Example..."Turn on RETURN PUMP", will turn on Switch Module, which will send ON to Apex, and turn Return pump ON]

Not sure how it will work, but simple to setup (I think).

I know nothing about this stuff....Will learn.....But "Alexa' will be my new Helper.

Last edited:
NEW "SPS Species" Developed in (Neglected Frag Tank) PREPARING FOR Rock-Scape Build

I kept some of my worst (last life) frags in the Frag tank. (The Good Frags/Colonies were given to someone for Holding)
Did nothing for 3 months (during RENO), just sat there with Flow/Heater.

I plan on tearing apart the Frag Tank as a Pool/Container to build the Live Rock Scape Islands (Glue and Acrylic Rods).

40217601384_5f42e6bdd0.jpg

Here is the New Species of SPS I guess I developed/discovered.

40217601454_a08edbea47.jpg

I call it the "ACROCORA-line" :) Looks nice.

It is growing better than some of my Past SPS attempts :(

Last edited:
Looks great wally!

How do you like that blue LED bar you got? Guess you haven't tried it with corals yet though

Looks great wally!

How do you like that blue LED bar you got? Guess you haven't tried it with corals yet though
Hard to say. Makes tanks very blue. I have to dim it or else overwhelming.
Same with the T5's, lots of blue. Thinking the 39W T5 might be better replacing the Purple Plus with a AquaBlue Special. SInce Coral Plus look a bit close to Purple plus.

At least I have flexibility with 5 T5's Dimmabe out of 7, and 1 Led Dimmable. (I can move around bulbs and try various combos)

But it's only cloudy water right now so hard to say.

Will know better when water clears up and rocks go in.
Will know Even better when fish and corals go in and Colors show up.

Time TO FIX my FINGER to continue inside tank (rocks)

Sitting in docs office anxiously waiting some minor surgery on finger that got a slitter or metal shard.
Thought it would fix itself but getting worse and painful.

Best to treat so I can work safely handling rocks and not get an infection.

Surgery is over with. Went quick. Wasn't fun.
But pressure is off and got tetanus shot while there.

The ole cut and squeeze huh? I've had that. Had a spider bite turn into an MRSA infection... Let me tell you, they sliced that sucker open and milked my leg like a rotten cow.

The worst part is the stinging fiery "pain reliever" shot they give, which amazingly hurts like all hell + burning..

Surgery is over with. Went quick. Wasn't fun.
But pressure is off and got tetanus shot while there.

Good to hear!! You don't want to wait for things to fix themselves when it comes to plumbing and aquarium infections.
I have a contractor friend who was demoing a kitchen. Got a knick on his thumb.. 24 hours later, they were removing half of it due to flesh eating disease.
Many years ago while unpacking a shipment of corals, I ended up with an extraordinarily painful finger.. thought it would go away on its own.. 24 hours later I was rushed to emergency by my GP with lymphangitis- red lines running to my shoulder from my swollen, painful finger..
minor surgery to remove "˜fluids' and a couple antibiotic horse pills for two weeks..
There is nasty stuff lurking in damp, dark places!!!

Back