my sebae

wicked_NaCl_h2o

Got this anemone Jan 26 2008 on a saturday from divers den
it was labeled as a H. Malu

Drip acclimated it for 2 hours and always checking the water temp.

We turned off all power heads in the tank before we added the sebae to the tank. Put it in the tank with gloves on my hands...these are gloves I only use for my tanks.

It was blown over here because we didn't realise one of the powerheads were still on.:rolleye1:

I didn't like it in that spot..I didn't think it would get enough light. If I let it stay there I would have to adjust all my powerheads again. So I moved it back..then phender informed me that sebaes like to be in an area where it is rock/sand.
Its mouth has been open since day one. Hopefully it will be closing its mouth soon. I moved it to this spot on sunday Jan 27th.

Monday Jan 28th
8am...Its looking a lot happier in its new spot next to the rock

6pm

its mouth is still open and foot is still not attached.

I like this post - Nice to see how everything is going. Who has experience with Sebeas - how long does it take them to get settled and happy?

Yeah I think the subject title..this is what I am getting tomorrow ..was getting old..lol
This morning the sebae was looking crappy. Half of the tentacles on its body were deflated..poop on its mouth. I couldn't take leaving all my powerheads off anymore. I thought I had the anemone in a spot where there was little water movement. I was wrong..no matter what power head I turned on would make the anemone almost flip over. I only turned the powerheads on one at a time..anyways.. now I know for sure that the anemone won't get blown around. While I was moving the anemone(raises right hand..I swear this is the last time) I got all the poop off the anemones mouth. Now I am able to turn on a few power heads. Sigh..this is a bit frustrating ..I am trying not to stress about it.
The anemone is looking happy again..maybe because there is no poop on it and its getting a little water movement.

Last edited:
I feel your pain - I actually brought home a new RBTA last Wednesday... I haven't touched it since I put it in I'm trying to let itself get settled on it's own - but it's so hard! It's just beeing fussy still - hasn't found a good spot - moves almost every night to a different spot - isn't opening fully and is deflating and pooping a lot. It's mouth is open a lot too.

So - I've been interested in how yours is doing - I know it's a different species obviously - but I guess some nems just take longer to get settled than others...

My GBTA that is in the same tank on the other side - went in and was happy right away, but that one came with the rock it was on and my new RBTA didn't... I wonder if that's part of the problem I know it's always better to buy it with the rock it's on if possible - but obviously that wouldn't be possible with your Sebea...

Anyway - Try not to get frustrated... I think from what I've read it can take nems a while to get adjusted and happy in their new home...

good news

good news

My sebae finally attached to a rock but under a rock in a cave..not in the sand at all..um I hope it will reach out for the light so I can feed it.:confused: I thought this was a sand dwelling anemone. :confused: Its a good thing I turned the powerheads off last night or I would have woke up to a cloudy tank. I knew if I left them on I wouldn't have been able to sleep anyways. I am happy it decided to attach itself to something. I was begining to think I was going to lose the poor thing.

Well, I looked in the Fautin and Allen book and it just says "oral disc lies at surface of sediment in which the delicate column is buried." At least it attached, but in kinda a unexpected way, huh? For H. crispa, the book says "colun buried in sediment so oral disc lies at surface of sediment, or pedal disc attached to branching coral." So, I would say if it happens to be H. crispa (instead of malu) then the attachment is a little more expected.

I only have H. crispa's but they took about two weeks to finaly settle. Neither moved a whole lot but when they finally did attach, they were attached to a rock where they could lay half their disc down in the sand throughout the day. They do this when he is fully extended. This is the behavior of two seabae's both aquired from different places. One was really healthy, the other was really bleached.

Oh yeah, occassionally mine will just open it mouth for a few days, then it is closed again, tight as can be. He had a open mouth also till he finally settled and adapted to my water parameters.

He could be hiding cause he is getting used to the lighting you have, or maybe he doesn't like the amount of flow. I had to reposition all my powerheads to accomodate mine, but he is so beautiful, I don't mind.

It is trying to get out of the cave. I am not going to help it, I am letting it do its own thing. Unless you guys think I should help it..

IME, it is best to let anemones do exactly what they want to do. If they go into a cave completely out of the light, let them.
My LTA is attached to a rock deep in the rock work. The column is easily 18" long. The oral disk is also about 18" fully inflated.
Malus will behave similarly in captivity. As much as you will want to place them, they should be left alone.
It takes a great deal of energy to move. They are already stressed when they go in your tank. Moving them around only makes that stress worse.

It attached again but this time right side up. YAY there maybe hope for this anemone:) Ok..now how can you tell the difference between the H. Crispa and a H. Malu?

Looks like H. crispa to me. In those last pics it is looking better. Keeping my fingers crossed it stays put for you.

The tentacles are generally shorter but the biggest distinction is that the outer tentacles are longer and the majority in the oral disc are shorter in H. malu

I know nothing about anemones but it seems happier in the last couple of pics. What a beautiful creature! Good Luck!

Thanks for the nice comment weereef:)
It attached once..maybe it will attach again. It is upsidedown now maybe it will flip itself over. All day yesterday it looked like someone stepped on it..tentacles were all flat like balloons.
Yesterday morning

with the MH lights on

Today

Back