My Shadowbox Background Project

It was worth a try but I couldn't make it work.
I think the rocks on the side have so much light and shade that they look very realistic.
Since the rock in the back had to be so light in color it ended up looking really flat:

rock3.jpg

So I won't be keeping that rock in the distance. It just didn't turn out well enough for me.
I think it might work better if somebody painted it straight onto the background since the outline is so very visible when there is less color

I think it is close, but what gives it away is the drop shadow on the sides... maybe some more noise and shadows painted onto the rock next to the dropshadows would make the the silhouette harder to spot?

Maybe. It just looks a lot nicer without since it didn't turn out well.
I bet painted straight onto the back would work well too (no shadows).

I think it looks pretty good! I agree if it was painted directy onto the background it would give the efect a bit better. I dont know if youre familiar with sponge painting, But its really easy and would give a sweet, nondiscript shape, with a mottled color.

I know youve alredy probably put way more work into this than you expected. But every aspect of reefing is that way ;)

The rocks on the side are sponge painted.
:)
My husband thought I was nuts for spending 9 bucks on a sea sponge but I think it really did make the rocks much more realistic.

I think I am done at this time though. I am happy with it just the way it is with the two rocks structures to the side.

I still have to make the overflow boxes and the new tank is almost ready! :)

I agree with R. I think more contrast on individual rocks would make them look more realistic (JUST MY OPINION THOUGH). As the late Bob Ross would say.. "you don't have to paint rocks.. just paint things that LOOK like rocks".

I am actually pretty happy with how the rocks on the side turned out. I don't like the rock in the back. adding more detail only made it too dark (not far enough 'away') or too light.

I was really looking for that hazy look I see in underwater pics so I that's what I am shooting for.
I think I got it just like I want it and the rock in the middle I don't like: well it's gone. lol

I am not missing it. ;)

Too much detail would be counterproductive to the look I am trying to achieve but I could totally see somebody create something really awesome with a lot of detail for their tank! :)

I agree with you, the rock in the middle didn't add much too it. I think it did look to flat, the front 2 rocks have nice shadows and texture. I'd leave it alone, it looks great!

small update:
my tank was delivered today! :D

I am putting in the rocks and washing the sand.

It looks brighter in the picture than it actually is and of course with water and tank lights the whole thing will change but here it is dry:
215_071910.jpg

I'm not sure how deep (front to back) your shadow box is, but if you wanted to give a bigger element of depth, then rather than have the dark cutouts parallel with the back glass pane, you could angle them toward the back middle. That would allow more diffusion from the frosted acrylic, and the closer edges on the outside would be more crisp. This could mimic your gradient.

Just a thought.
Aaron

Actually they are angled back (more for stability than refining depth to be honest) but with only 3" space inside the box it seemed to make only a very small difference as far as diffusion goes - eliminates weird shadows though so that was good. :)

The benefit that your inspiration had was that he used a piece of hardboard that had a scene airbrushed on it. I think if you could find someone with enough artistic talent, you could totally pull off the exact same look, with much less work than what you had to go through to do it your way.

That being said, it's a really interesting look for the back of your tank.

Back