My skimmerless tank

sltloser

Hey everyone it's brady i know some of you up in GF i was w/ mike. Just decided that i would put up some pics of my tank right now. it's nothing too special still young and starting up. I have just a sump w/ cheto and liverock none of the other fancy stuff. Fish: regal tang, two percs, green clown goby, lawnmower blenny, flame angel, pigmy angel, diamond goby, chromis. Everything is a little yellow because i took these pics right after i got my new 10000k ushio bulbs in.

FishTankpics004.jpg

FishTankpics009.jpg

arge.jpg

FishTankpics008.jpg

I think its all in his description....but I am not going to talk for him. We just have a movement of natural/biological tanks. Where the emphasis is on biology and balance rather than mechanical means. It has been working for many of us here from tanks that are 12 years old, to tanks like brady's that are fairly new. In no way is our way the best for everyone, we have never claimed that and you were not claiming that either, but for us we would not have it any other way. Hope that helps...I can expand our theories behind our philosophy if you wish. But I think for now thats enough talking by me...too much maybe.

Anyway, great job brady. Your passion for the hobby is awesome.

Nice tank Brady. It was nice meeting you last week. I ran skimmer less for 2 years....in a much smaller tank.

Re: My skimmerless tank

by sltloser
.... it's nothing too special still young and starting up.

michaeltwana: This is why I ask. Just starting up implies to me that a skimmer may be in the near future, but not yet. Maybe due to costs, maybe not. Introducing this tank as skimmerless also implies to me that one is evolving the system so that a skimmer will not be needed. With the list of fish he has, I would imagine the bioload will be large.

I have witnessed skimmerless tanks, but they incorporated something other than a fuge. Take for instance, Inland Aquatics in Terre Haute, IN. I visited that store a few years back and he was running an Algae Turf Scrubber. I actually tried it once, but gave up due to my own lack of DIY abilities and acrylic misfortunes. So I am familiar with the skimmerless philosophy.

Back to the original question sltloser, do you plan to run a skimmer or is this skimmerless by design??

I guess i am not sure why "just starting up" means that a skimmer is in the near future. A lot of the tanks that we help each other with here in Fargo are skimmerless by design. They take a lot of slow planning. Some mistakes have been made in the overall process of Brady's tank--fish load may be one of them. But Brady, and I am definitely talking for him--which I know he wouldn't care if I did either way, is well aware of this issue as he gives his fish away to others in the area.

One of the movements here is that of skimmerless and in some cases no water changes either. As long as patience and balance are taken into account, these tanks are some of the best tanks I have seen.

Now on the other hand, as you know, you can get results with a lot of different methods.

We toured some tanks in Grand Forks at the last meeting and they have different philosophies that work for them. Vish and Ice (Jim, I think) have great tanks. Just different methods. They all work towards the same goal of stability. And I would put their tanks up against ours anyday--though it's not a competition.

We--the group of us here--believe that less is more, and that natural biology is the way to go.

Brady will chime in soon...but being that I push for this method here and he actually believes in it as well, I thought I would chime in. Also, I very rarely find any topics worth talking about on RC as it is. But thats a different story....

michael

So what i mean by skimmerless is that it is skimmerless by design. It was fish only for about six to eight months and i ran a crappy seaclone skimmer and some other junk that just didn't cut it for me. I started talking to michael about starting a reef tank, and after some reasearch i decided that i would start one. I put in my refugium which just has cheto, liverock, and livesand. It is all naturally filtered. No calcium reactors, skimmers, phosphate reactors or any of the fancy stuff. As mike said we hardly do waterchanges if ever. I haven't done a water change since i switched to reef about 6-8 months ago. All that i do is regular top offs which is about as good as a water change in my eyes. I only supplement w/ liquid calcium right now. (i'm going to order B ionic soon) Right now my clean up crew is small and my nitrates a little high which is why it's mostly softs right now w/ a few acceptions.(and the fact that everyone seems happy and is doing fine... especially my xenia haha) I have a massive clean up crew on the way from keyscritters which i think will help me to bring down my nitrates. And as mike also said my bioload is a little big, but it use to be much larger. I am slowly giving some away to a few friends around here so i can get my bioload down. I don't plan on running a skimmer anytime soon nor w/ any of my tanks in the future. ask mike said "less is is more and natural biology is the way to go"

by sltloser
So what i mean by skimmerless is that it is skimmerless by design.... I don't plan on running a skimmer anytime soon nor w/ any of my tanks in the future.

BAM!! You answered my question. Wasn't trying to be difficult, just wanted was curious is all what the plan was.

michaeltwana: I plan to run a fuge myself. Right now I am thinking of a 30g, but I am thinking I may want a "Show Fuge" and make it bigger. I am VERY interested in different types of macro algaes as well as marine plants. Is this an area that you and your friends can help me with?? I would love to see your system some day, all of you for that matter. I would also love to get some macro's from you guys if you want to trade/sell some?!?

Last edited:
My regal tang is 3-4 inches and he has never harmed anyone... if anything he's the biggest baby of the tank haha. On the macro algae i'm not sure there are many different types the most common being cheto, but i am looking at turning my fuge into a cheto/ sea grass fuge and just putting my live rock up into my tank. (idea thanks to michael) as far as other algaes i've never tried any of them before just good old cheto
-brady

I am changing my fuge over to sea grass and oher various life...trying to do tank on a tank type idea...if that makes sense...
will start the project soon

Back