My sump monster

Pink fake plant. I got two in a bucket of IO salt so I tossed then in my sump. Gives him some cover.
-Pete

From this view, all I can tell you is that it is a gonodactyllid. My guess would be Neogonodactylus wennerae (assuming that it came from Florida LR), but I would have to see the telson to be sure.

Roy

Thanks for the possbile ID Roy. I haven't been able to find any pictures online but, one of these days, I'll luck out and get better pics :D
A bit of base rock I got at a local lfs may have been from the gulf. The rest is Fijiian.
Thanks, Pete

The mix of rock makes this difficult. There are two images that will allow me to tell the species. First, if the animal threatens at you or at least looks at you head on, what color is the meral spot (depressiion on the inside of the striking appendage. If it is orange or yellow, you probably have an Indo-Pacific animal in the Gonodactyllaceus group. If it is white, it is probably a Neogonodactylus from the Caribbean. Second, I need to see the teeth on the tail. That will allow me to identify it with some certainty.

Roy

Here's a header. Looks to be yellow. I almost caught him unawares but he turned around before I got back with my camera.
-Pete
Maybe more like a light green?

Unless my eyes deceive me, the meral spots are dark purple surrounded by white. If that is the case, the animal is a deep-water Gonodactylus smithii. G. smithii from the surface are often green, but those living below about 10 m become very maroon or even have a reddish color. Keep watching for the meral spots. The other give away for this species is a pair of bright red-orange spots at the base of the uropods. These are not always easy to see when the uropods are folded in against the tail, but when they stick out to the side, they should be visible.

Roy

I'm pretty sure his meral spots are purple (lighting almost makes them look black). Definate white fringe around it. I've spotted orange in the base of the tail though the lighting in this pic makes it look red. A deep-water Gonodactylus smithii it seems :) Thanks for the help in id'ing him doc :)
-Pete

Back