natural predator

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6876139#post6876139 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by uargiles
First of all, I live in COsta Rica, so my LR comes from the caribbean coast.

I think we got so many pods because we left the problem unattended for so long and we kept feeding meaty foods very frecuently. And I have read that they dont eat shrimp but we have no other way to explain three shrimp disappearing in a 2 week period.

I didnt quite understand the stinky water method and I am affraid besides that it might pollute my tank since it is small 35 gals. The big tank is 300 gallons perhaps it might help better there. Could you please explain it with detail?

I forgot to mention, my husband uses another method in the tank hes caring for. I cant use it since it involves a tube anemone. Although perhaps its not very effective its quite fun to watch. Just place a piece of shrimp out of the reach of the tube anemone and she will swap any pod that swims near. Its quite a feast although some do get away with a free meal.

Welcome to my visitor from Costa Rica. It never ceases to amaze me when something I write gets seen overseas :)

I have also read they don't eat live shrimp, but again, Cirolanids are poorly studied with many undescribed species, who knows what they all eat? I added a peppermint shrimp to my tank and it was very active and eating for a week (it had been in a QT for 2 weeks before that and in a fellow reefer's tank for 6 months before that, so I doubt shipping/acclimation related), then I found part of what looked like a molt and it never showed up again. Did the Cirolanids eat it? I guess it is possible, but who knows, I also have mantis shrimp in my tank that easily could have whacked it. Another interesting research question for the next unlucky person to get these things.

The tube anemone sounds interesting, but I would be concerned with giving them free meals. I never captured a brooding female (at least with visible babies) in my 380+ Cirolanids captured. The tube anemone might kill some of them, but the ones that escape could continue to reproduce in an endless cycle.

As far as the stinky water method, I'll try to elaborate a little more:

1. Create the trap I detailed in my article (or maybe one of the other traps mentioned in this thread).

2. Soak a piece of grocery store shrimp (uncooked) in a small cup of tank water overnight. This will create your stinky water.

3. Take the stinky water and filter it through a coffee filter, this removes any small food particles that may feed the Cirolanids.

4. Put some of the stinky water (just a few ml) in the trap from step one and add the piece of stinky shrimp as well. Fill the rest of the way with tank water. Assemble the trap and place it in the tank in a low flow area after lights are off(turn off room lights too)

5. Take your cup of stinky water and dump in a few ml of the water into the tank, preferably where it will flow towards the trap.

6. Watch for Cirolanids appearing on the sand or glass. If you are patient they will probably try to find their way to the trap. If you want you can try to use a turkey baster to capture them.

I can understand your concern with polluting the tank, because one of the reasons it smells is ammonia. I would test just a few ml the first time and leaving the trap in for a couple of hours. The next morning and the following evening I would test the ammonia level to see if it is elevated.

If you have a good biological filter it should be able to handle the small amount of stinky water every few days. I did this a few times and I never saw ammonia above 0.1 ppm in my 75 gallon and that was always gone by the following evening. It would be even less of a concern in your larger tank, although you would probably need to use more stinky water to lure the Cirolanids out.

Good luck and if you still have questions about the stinky water method, please tell me what you are having problems with and I'll try to help.

Thanks,

Brian

So we still pull out a few every night or every other night (2 , 3 or 4) from the 300 gal tank. Its been quite a while since I pulled out any bugs from the smaller tank but I suspect there are still a few.

It is quite frustrating since we dont seem to finish exterminating them.

We did use the stinky water method in the large tank and they do come out much quicker. The downside with this method is that my husband never cleans up after he uses it and that junk reeeaaallly STINKS and I have to clean it up! :(

Any way, thanks for the tip, some day theyll be all gone for good.

Back