Naturally occurring host anemone for Barberi?

TriggersAmuck

Premium Member
Does anyone have experience keeping the Fiji Barberi clown, and if so, do you have any good information on associated anemones? There is plenty of info on frenatus and melanopus, but not so much on the barberi that I can find.

Current listing on LA

I'm pretty sure the bulb/quadricolor is a safe bet, but anyone know of any others (crispa, etc.)?

Magnifica, supposedly. But why do you want them? Most tomatoes are biters. And when they are big, they will draw blood. I am not a fan of open wounds in saltwater tanks.

Since Fiji is a popular diving destination, there are numerous videos of the clowns you are asking about on YouTube. If you just search the scientific name you will get some pretty good results of Barberi clowns in the wild.

Since Fiji is a popular diving destination, there are numerous videos of the clowns you are asking about on YouTube. If you just search the scientific name you will get some pretty good results of Barberi clowns in the wild.

Good point, thanks! (And thank you for not pointing me to lmgtfy.com LOL ;)

This video looks to be mostly E. quadricolor
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZmsKTJNHP0I" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And this one identified as crispa
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XSzlvFuRHjE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Magnifica, supposedly. But why do you want them? Most tomatoes are biters. And when they are big, they will draw blood. I am not a fan of open wounds in saltwater tanks.

Are they really that nasty? (Haven't kept frenatus before). I mean I have had pairs of Maroons over the years that always shoo me away from their egg clutch or anemone, but never to such an extent that I feared for bloodshed.

Are they really that nasty? (Haven't kept frenatus before). I mean I have had pairs of Maroons over the years that always shoo me away from their egg clutch or anemone, but never to such an extent that I feared for bloodshed.

I have a pair of frenatus and they are not bad at all. Now my gold nugget maroons are terrible. The female will come out of the water to bite my fingers when I am feeding. I have a pair of gold stripe maroons and they are not too bad unless I'm really close so the meanness seems to vary from fish to fish.

I have a pair of frenatus and they are not bad at all. Now my gold nugget maroons are terrible. The female will come out of the water to bite my fingers when I am feeding. I have a pair of gold stripe maroons and they are not too bad unless I'm really close so the meanness seems to vary from fish to fish.

Of course it will vary from fish to fish. But in general, tomato complex is the worst when it comes to biting. Nigripes take the cake any day, though, of all clownfish species.

I say get them. They're the only wild caught fish LA offers...the rest are all those tank raised ugly looking freaks...
I have been grabbing up all the wild caught pairs I can get my hands on the last couple yrs..I fear that pretty soon we wont be able to get them...
The future may be going to petco and picking mutated deformed fish that have never been in the real ocean...who knows ?...maybe with enough inbreeding they wont even know what an anemone is anymore........

I say get them. They're the only wild caught fish LA offers...the rest are all those tank raised ugly looking freaks...
I have been grabbing up all the wild caught pairs I can get my hands on the last couple yrs..I fear that pretty soon we wont be able to get them...
The future may be going to petco and picking mutated deformed fish that have never been in the real ocean...who knows ?...maybe with enough inbreeding they wont even know what an anemone is anymore........
Same here. I am trying to get a perfect looking A. percula. Recently I got my wish. Perfect Onyx pair
attachment.php

attachment.php

Still looking for a WC Gold bar Maroon pair

If they are anything like the fully grown melanopus I had in my beginner days, then yes - very aggressive and extremely skilled biters (they knew how to make you bleed). But that is kind of the case with most anemonefish. I mean, they belong to the damselfish after all. In the end, them being territorial and aggressive is just a sign that they feel at home in your tank.

Same here. I am trying to get a perfect looking A. percula. Recently I got my wish. Perfect Onyx pair
attachment.php

attachment.php

Still looking for a WC Gold bar Maroon pair

I got 5 wild percula pairs by now, 3 of them spawning. But it is still hard to not buy more when I see them here in stores :D
BTW, there is another store here that gets Solomon percula relatively frequently but I don't know if they ship. And their disease treatment of fish is somewhat questionable.

The other wild anemonefish on my wishlist would be allardi, chrysogaster, clarkii (Solomons), latifasciatus, latezonatus, milli,...

I also still need to find a wild Goldbar Maroon female as a replacement for the one that died in QT.

And last week the smaller of my captive-bred latezonatus jumped out. LA has them now, but they don't want to guarantee that they ship me a flawless one so I rather pass.

Back