nebie dumb questions

mr. goby

could i do a 10g tank with just anenones, clowns, and live rock?

do i need a protien skimer?

can anenones sting different anenones

:uzi::eek2:

i like all the help im getting but i have to wake up early so ill see what else you guys have to say latter

1. The minimum tank size for a hosting anemone is 20 gallons for a single BTA. Anything smaller would not work long term.

2. A protein skimmer isn't needed but it helps, especially in small setups.

3. Yes, anemones can sting other types of anemones.

4. BTA stands for Bubble Tip Anemone. The scientific name is Entamacea Quadricolor.

5. Yes, anemones can sting gobies if they touch them.

6. A healthy reef tank should probably have a minimum of 20x turnover per hour. So a 10 gallon tank would need 200gph or more.

I never had luck keeping any of the three anemones I got, so I wouldn't be much help.but your thread seemed a little one sided so I figured I would chime in. I don't think a clownfish would be comfortable in a ten gallon though. I wish you luck on your thread.

what type of clean up crew can i have with anemones (crabs, starfish, urchents, shrimp, ext.)

In a tank of this size I would stick to small crabs and shrimp... The starfish will require much larger tanks to keep alive, usually. Although some of the serpent stars do well in small tanks. There are actually some cool shrimp and crabs that are hosted by nems.

Even a 20gal is too small for bta. They can grow up to 15" or more. IMO, I wouldn't keep any hosting anemone in less than a 30

There are anemone shrimp you can get also crabs would not be a problem. Also an anemone should not be added to a saltwater tank unless it is up for about a year so it is good and stable. Just what i heard! Good luck.

If you've never had a saltwater tank before, then you have no business trying to attempt an anemone. They can be very delicate creatures, and they need well established (at least 6 months, preferably a year old) tanks, strong lighting, and plenty of room to grow.

IMO, you should rethink your plans. Also, go to the New to the hobby forum and read through all the stickies at the top of the page.

no i just always liked watching clown dart in and out of anemones at lfs and i thought it looked cool i just dont have the money for a proper reef. what if i were to get live rock and 2 clowns and let it cycle for 2-3 months. i can get good lighting, filtration, and care.

Its the gamble you take, but you'll spend alot of money killing nice specimens. Its your money and no one can tell you differant but imo patience is the key to success. If you take your time trying to get right it will be so much rewarding. When I had gotten my tank it had a carpet anemone and two clowns i got rid of it (ididnt want to get any new fish and it eat them)and two seperate occassions I bought btas and they shriveled up and died. My parameters were good it had sufficient lighting the tank was established, but they always moved to a dark corner and died. The clowns loved both of them they rubbed thru them all day they would actually bring food to it to eat. But still died. 70 bucks in the hole later I had to admit to myself im not experienced enough to keep them alive so I stopped wasting money and killing things that might have gotten huge in the wild. Later I found out that if the anemone is small and the clowns are too big for it they will buffet it too much and kill it. Today my clowns are happy and have been laying eggs for about a year straight without one. I would still love to get one but I can't blow money on something that wont last long enough for me to enjoy.

Im not preaching to you on a soapbox about you shouldn't get one, you might have way better luck than me. Just take your time to really learn all you can about them.

Oh and also maybe if you know anyone with a sw tank get 20 gallons of their water to jump start your tank...it'll speed up our tank for you.

If you don't have money for a proper reef, I fail to recognize how you will have money to keep an anemone. They both require the same levels of equipment and care to keep them healthy. I agree with Suger Magnolia - go to the new reefing forum and reed the sticky's there; they'll get you going in the right direction. But PLEASE do not attempt an anemone before 6 mo. AND a significant amount of research into their care/requirements.

IMO, I think you should read, read, then read, some more on the this hobby. Find out about the tanks, setup, equipment, the up keep, the types of fish, corals, and inverts you'd like to keep and the requirements for keeping them. It will save you a lot of money, headache, and heartache in the end. Plus, it may save a few fish, corals, and inverts lives. But, like I said that's just MHO.

hay thanks for your help im more of a read research and money saving type of guy. im not an impolse i want it know type of person. so i will read on ask question and research and record everything i plan to buy.i know i sound like a newbie(i am) but i think i can handle an anemone.

Back