Need advice on PH

sEaLiFe4LiFe

Hey guys I have 150g tank and on my third buy of PHs.. I really don't understand when advertised a certain GPH and it comes and definitely not what it's rated for. I'm looking to buy 2 that can move some water!! I went with maxi jet 1200, then 3rd gen Koralia and after that Koralias rated for 800 GPH. This thing barely moves more water than the maxi jets!! :.( I saw some tunze 6045s will those move water better? Any help would be appreciated I hate having this battle over PHs!!

Tunze will be a better pump. Will it be enough? Depends on what you want.
It's rated @ 1145 GPH Max. It is in their Nano line of pumps & there are larger models.
They can come in 2 variations, narrow & wide flow patterns.

Thanks for the response. I’m hoping two will work if not I’ll buy a third. But these Koralia rated at 800gph pushes water like a 295gph.. basically I’m looking for PHs that say they push a certain gph to be that gph.

Here's what I use for my 120g SPS dominant DT (standard 4x2x2)

2 x Maxspect Gyre 250's on the back glass on either side of my center overflow ~1/3 of the way down and angled up a little. They max out at 70% - anything more and there is a wave crest over the front of the tank.

In addition, 2 x Koralia 1500gph, on in each back corner, again ~ 1/3 down and angled up and towards the center front

That combo gives me great circulation everywhere except behind the rockwork. For back there, I use a pair of Koralia 850's, mounted on the side near the bottom and pointed slightly upwards towards the other side

I figure that when everything is running at once I get somewhere around 80x in tank turnover. That does not include my return pump.

What are the dimensions of your 150, what is your budget and what are you keeping in terms of coral? IMO, neither the small Koralias or a pair of Tunze 6045s have enough flow for a tank of your volume size. Knowing what your budget is will go a long way in having people help you make a decision on what’s most appropriate for your tank.

Hey thanks again for the response :) the tank is 72” x 18.5” x 24”. Right now it’s a fowlr setup. I have about 75lbs of rock in it maybe a little more. As of coral I have nothing yet wanted to get flow situated and later add coral according to their needs and location. I have 2 btas in there now with 4 clowns and a sandsifter. Both nems have been in for 2 months and haven’t moved until the rose split last night :) all para are in range and have done the research and it is a good reason for splitting and not a bad one lol. I’m not cheap but also have 3 kids 6 and under so I can’t break the bank. My return has great flow so all four are points up to agitate the water. So I looking for decent flow In tank.

A 6’ long tank is quite an expanse to push flow across. The Koralia and Tunze pumps you mentioned are relatively small fixed speed AC pump. Would you consider purchasing DC controllable powerheads?

With your budget constraints, on the cheaper end of things, there are the CoralBox DC controllable “Quiet Pump” wavemakers that are fairly inexpensive for the amount of water they move. I believe they may be rebranded and upgraded Jebao pumps. I would purchase them from a reputable US dealer like Logan from ReefBreeders who will provide a 12 month US warranty and post purchase support.

With a tank of your length, I’d go with a minimum of the QP-9+ but ideally the QP-16+ (which you can dial down).

https://www.reefbreeders.com/shop/coralbox-qp-9-plus/

https://www.reefbreeders.com/shop/coralbox-qp-16-plus/

I appreciate everything LQT! Those definitely look great and will consider them in the near future! Again thank you for your time and happy reefing! :)

Back