Need help finding a invasive fish in Florida

dreko

Hello Club,

I'm wondering if anyone can help locate this fish for me.
Tessellated Barnacle Blenny (Hypsoblennius invemar)
http://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/FactSheet.aspx?speciesID=2638

They are found throughout South Florida, usually close to shore, in abandoned barnacles on piers, pilings, etc

Recreational saltwater fishing license is needed to legally collect.
I'm looking for 1-3 fish.

I'll pay for the collection and overnight shipping.

Please send me PM if you can help.

thanks
Andre

Hmm, interesting little fish. I might be intrigued enough to go grab a few for you (and me), although its a bit chilly here this week...

Find me a legal document or talk to Florida Wildlife Services saying I can collect them and I might be able to grab the old wetsuit and see what I can do for you. Always looking for an excuse to be in the water. Any idea what they'll eat, or how you plan on keeping them alive? Looks like they should be collected with their host dead barnacle, but I don't see much on them in the reef aquarium.

This could get very fun!

Looks like this guy a little bit

Horned Blenny (Hypsoblennius exstochilus)

Out of the caribbean and the only one of the Genus I saw for sale in live aquaria

ChadRaay I am pretty sure that with a normal fishing license is all you need. Not sure where you find the list but I think its on the FWC site. There is a list of all the things we can take and how many per day. I am sure blennys are on that list.

A friend of mine wanted one of these for years. I have been in the hobby over 15 years and have never seen one in any store yet. Not that they have never been collected. I just haven't seen one.
Cool fish

Glad to see the response here... from what I can gather, yes totally 100% legal to collect as long as you have a saltwater fishing license.
Divers on some of the Scuba Forums are finding them all along the Gulf and Caribbean.

I think whoever would be willing to collect would find many many many interested buyers. :)
At least I know I need a few

I don't think anyone has ever collected them through the usually sources. Divers Den via LiveAquaria, That Pet Place, Aquacon, etc etc

Chad, just an FYI I went surfing 3 days ago here in NYC in 40 degree water in my 6/5 wetsuit. Facemask, gloves, booties... I think you can handle that bathwater in FL!

Someone make my year please :)

Agreed, I think a great little fish
from fishbase.org

Lives in attached, empty barnacle shells in clear waters, usually on pilings, buoys and rock ledges at or near surface. Recorded from oil platforms. Oviparous (Ref. 205). Eggs are demersal and adhesive (Ref. 205).

Chad, just an FYI I went surfing 3 days ago here in NYC in 40 degree water in my 6/5 wetsuit. Facemask, gloves, booties... I think you can handle that bathwater in FL!

Someone make my year please :)

Haha, I dive with no suit or a 3/2. I'm originally from Chicago and got certified in a 36 degree lake lol. But, my time in Florida has frozen me lol

I'm going to start researching all of this, but it looks like they're only around a certain type of Acorn Barnacle, so I'm going to have to find those before I can even start. I live in Oldsmar on the top of the Old Tampa Bay, so Dunedin, Clearwater, St. Pete, The big bridges (not the skyway though, thats a death trap), venice and sarasota are within reach. Find me a location and I'll go check it out, if not I'll have to just start exploring as I don't usually dive to seek out barnacles lol

Acorn Barnacles should be on pretty much any piling, bouy, pier in and around Florida.
I wish I knew exactly where to look, but I would think snorkling or diving around these areas might hopefully lead to finding some...

I also think you should bring a scraper or painter's tool to pry the barnacle as well.... I don't think they'll come out. I read someone puts their finger over the barnacle opening, then prys off the barnacle. Voila, easy catch

I'm wondering if a natural reef I found awhile back might have them. Its in Venice at around 20-25 feet and it also has some artificial reefs in the area to check. I might go to Homeymoon Island first. There's a bunch of bridges to check out, might get lucky...

Chad, Good luck man!
I don't think you'll find them that deep, from what little information there seems to be on the web... but let me know when you do find some!

You're better then me Chad. I don't go in unless it's 80° I really need a better wet suit. How is the vis over there in Venice? I know up on Anna Maria it's usually garbage

I'm wondering if a natural reef I found awhile back might have them. Its in Venice at around 20-25 feet and it also has some artificial reefs in the area to check. I might go to Homeymoon Island first. There's a bunch of bridges to check out, might get lucky...

I was NAUI Instructor and I use to take students to a little reef behind the old 7-ll on Venice beach...about 100 yards out right behind it...

Back