Need help finding a invasive fish in Florida

I haven't seen them but for some reason keep thinking about hearing that they dont do well in tanks. Anyone else remember hearing anything like that?

I am with toddmau5. I am from MN and swam in really cold water but after 27 years of being in FL I am not getting in water thats not 80. Hey chad I have A farmer john wet suit if you need it. I know your a little taller then me but I think it will fit

I'll talk to all of my diver buddies so they can keep a lookout for them, no way you will catch me in the water this time of year. I sure wouldn't mind having a few in our tank as well. What a find!

Man i searched for one of these a few years back and never had any luck. I only found a few people on line who ever acquired them and they don't do well in captivity for some reason. It's a beautiful fish good luck!

We would see them on live rock that came up when fishing the shallow reefs (20-40')along our coast. I tried several in my tank, but they always disappeared. There are also several other small blennies that look similar from our waters. I lived on the Gulf for 12 years and they were never anywhere near my dock pilings, that I saw.

I'll talk to all of my diver buddies so they can keep a lookout for them, no way you will catch me in the water this time of year. I sure wouldn't mind having a few in our tank as well. What a find!

I was thinking it might be a little bit chilly for them, haha

Man i searched for one of these a few years back and never had any luck. I only found a few people on line who ever acquired them and they don't do well in captivity for some reason. It's a beautiful fish good luck!

I was wondering about their record in captivity, I don't see a lot on the forums or the internet in general in regards to these little guys making good aquarium specimens...

All good information everyone!
Still would like to acquire a few, or even 1..... from any brave cold water divers :)

I'm sure these guys might be mistaken for other similar blennies. There are others that look like them...but duller...

the hunt continues...

Side note on my searches they are mainly found in the larger acorn barnacles and most people collected them on off shore oil rigs so I'm not sure who's up for that..lol

Not so sure they are only found on offshore oil rigs. (According to data online)
Hopefully the Florida ones are in shallower pier pilings and the like.

Haha, I dive with no suit or a 3/2. I'm originally from Chicago and got certified in a 36 degree lake lol. But, my time in Florida has frozen me lol

I'm going to start researching all of this, but it looks like they're only around a certain type of Acorn Barnacle, so I'm going to have to find those before I can even start. I live in Oldsmar on the top of the Old Tampa Bay, so Dunedin, Clearwater, St. Pete, The big bridges (not the skyway though, thats a death trap), venice and sarasota are within reach. Find me a location and I'll go check it out, if not I'll have to just start exploring as I don't usually dive to seek out barnacles lol

sorry for hikjack the thread but i was wondering why you say the skyway is a death trap ? m not a diver m just curious.. thanks and good luck with u search :)

I've lost many Tarpon at Skyway and Egmont to large sharks. Some hammerheads but by far the largest bull sharks I've seen on the west coast. I wouldn't so much as hang a foot in the water near skyway from April - sept.

A lot of water moves under that bridge and it would be impossible to even attempt.

Ya, the skyway is bad news if you're one the water. On the other hand if you want to hook a big shark it'll take less than five minutes ;) there's also a bunch of wreckage from the old bridge that got knocked down, including cars and some other gnarly crap. The florida equivalent of diving the Andrea Doria...

Back