Need Help with Return Pump ASAP

S13<3

KeepItSuperSimple
Hello everyone, recently my eheim 1260 has started to make a rattling noise. I thought it was time for a cleaning so today i removed it and it really wasnt very dirty but cleaned off some gunk anyway. Put the pump back into service and the rattling noise has gotten LOUDER. the aquarium is in my bedroom and the noise is very loud and drilling a hole in my head, almost literally.
What could be causing this? The pump has been a saint for the past 5-6 yrs i have had it. It has always been a faint hum, no more.
All components looked good, shaft showed no wear and fit snug in the impeller. Only thing that i remember was that the impeller magnet was so strong i couldn't remove the impeller WHEN IT WAS NEW and now it kinda pulls out super easy, idk if that has relevance.

Any recommendations for a cheap return pump just in case? I dont need variable speed just on off 800gph or so up to 1000pgh

Thank you in advance, i really appreciate any replies.

Cheap can sometimes wind up being expensive.
I would go with another Eheim.
When it comes in double check the old one for something worn with the shaft, impeller,
and bushings on shaft ends. You might be able to repair for a spare.

Probably time for a new impeller. Soak the pump in citric acid first to get it clean just to be sure. If you are in the market for a cheap pump then an impeller is the way to go. Ehiem classics are great pumps, never had the motor block fail and have rarely had to replace impellers.

Cheap can sometimes wind up being expensive.
I would go with another Eheim.
When it comes in double check the old one for something worn with the shaft, impeller,
and bushings on shaft ends. You might be able to repair for a spare.

Thanks, to clarify by cheap, i mean something to either run a couple days while the pump soaks or for emergencies if the eheim fails. It wont be a replacement to a solid main pump, just a cheap backup.

Probably time for a new impeller. Soak the pump in citric acid first to get it clean just to be sure. If you are in the market for a cheap pump then an impeller is the way to go. Ehiem classics are great pumps, never had the motor block fail and have rarely had to replace impellers.

Thanks, i love my eheim as it has been very reliable. I am going to order a new impeller and replace the old hardened vinyl tube to help dampen vibration.
The ceramic shaft showed no signs of wear at all, no grooving, and the rubber bushings fit snug.

Would you guys say a new shaft is just throwing money away? I don't want the added expense if its not necessary.

I would replace the entire impeller assembly. At least one of the parts is worn, and it'd be a shame to replace the wrong part and have to wait for the part you actually needed a few more days. Keep the old stuff as spares.

FWIW - I have a pair of 1262's - one is well over 30 years old, the other I got in 2013 when I did my upgrade. One sits on a shelf while the other does it's thing. About once a year I switch them out and then just clean up the dirty one so that it's ready for next year.

Well, it seems I cant find the shaft and the only place with a price says 29.99. Only place I can find the impeller is thru eheim and they want $79.99 plus shipping. This seems very unresonable as a new 1260 can be had for around $130.

I'm open to suggestions for a new pump, what is considered reliable and dead silent these days?

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk

98a77c1bc9df59d1317b645998a2875a.jpg

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk

Try Aquatic Warehouse in Kearny Mesa San Diego. It is a large LFS with the actual product for sale on shelves with an online presence as well.

Back