Need help with sump baffle flow

the last baffle between the pump and heater needs to be 1-2 inches lower than the baffer between the heater and the skimmer.
also the middle baffle needs to be 1-2 inches off of the bottom so the water go down there

the last baffle between the pump and heater needs to be 1-2 inches lower than the baffer between the heater and the skimmer.
also the middle baffle needs to be 1-2 inches off of the bottom so the water go down there

the middle baffle sits 1 and 1/2" off the bottom. I must have missed in all my reading to make the third baffle that much shorter, I thought I read it didn't matter. If that's the case, I'll have to pull the sump and take the baffle out and cut it then :-/

The third baffle can be any height as long as it is lower than your first baffle. If you like to run that much water in your return pump section, I think you are fine. You run into issues if you have a tall third baffle and a low water level in the return pump section. This will cause bubbles again because of the water falling into the return section.

I hope this makes sense. :)

The third baffle can be any height as long as it is lower than your first baffle. If you like to run that much water in your return pump section, I think you are fine. You run into issues if you have a tall third baffle and a low water level in the return pump section. This will cause bubbles again because of the water falling into the return section.

I hope this makes sense. :)

After rethinking...The first and third can be the same height. IMO This is not how you usually see the bubble traps designed though.

After rethinking...The first and third can be the same height. IMO This is not how you usually see the bubble traps designed though.

I disagree. This usually IS how bubble traps are designed. First and third baffles are the same height. The reason the water level drops after the first baffle is because the third baffle is shorter. I however don't see a problem with this. Your baffles are supposed to be doing two things. One, keeping the level in your skimmer section constant and two forcing bubbles to the surface before they get to your pump. Looks like you are good on both points.

I disagree. This usually IS how bubble traps are designed. First and third baffles are the same height. The reason the water level drops after the first baffle is because the third baffle is shorter. I however don't see a problem with this. Your baffles are supposed to be doing two things. One, keeping the level in your skimmer section constant and two forcing bubbles to the surface before they get to your pump. Looks like you are good on both points.

O.K. you got me.

Oh I'm not trying to get you. There is more than one way to skin a cat. Just as there are a million diffrent sump set ups each one tweaked for each application. I was just trying to assure the OP that what he has looks like it will work IMO.

I'm just kidding with you.

I agree with you, especially in this hobby..."There is more than one way to skin a cat".

Yes, there are a lot of different ways to do baffles and usually works out either way. I think it would be best to get an auto top off and you will not have to worry about the microbubbles spilling over into the return section.

Last edited:
Back