need some advice guys

rljlll

ok now i have a standard 90gal i am almost ready to set up i have a mag 9.5 i want to use for the return but i was wonding should i use a close loop or should i use some powerhead i just basically need some advice on flow and thkngs

You question is a little unclear to me. Do you have a sump? If so the mag would be good for the return for that and if you have an extra powerhead use it in the tank for circulation.

sorry its late and im tired yes it will have a supm setup and i was thinking of having the mag for the sump return and one seio 1100 and one mj1200 in the display for circulation what bo you think?

In my 90g I run about 400 gph through the sump return (700gph pump @ ~5' of head pressure), plus 4x maxijet 1200's on a wavemaker. I get some pretty decent flow through that, but I'm considering putting my seios back on there too, or plumbing a CL.

What will you keep in the 90? I see in your sig that it's going to be "reef", but will that be LPS, softies, or SPS? If it's LPS and softies, I think the mag 9.5, SEIO 1100, and MJ will be fine. (or two SEIO 820s, one for each end pointed at each other)
If you're going to keep SPS, you'll probably want a little more.
The closed loop will give you more options/adjustments, but if the tank isn't already drilled for a closed loop, that's another can of worms.

i have seen people for the closed loops run pvc aroun the edge of the top of the tank or the canopy would that work
and i would like to keep mostly SPS maybe a few LPS and softys though

That type of closed loop does work, from what I've seen. I've even thought of doing it myself.

If your focus will be SPS, you'll probably want that extra flow. For example, I don't have a closed loop. Instead I have the return pump, a SEIO 1100, and two SEIO 620s. There's good flow everywhere exept the ends, so I'm going to have to add two more small power heads on the ends. Keep in mind, I only have a 55 gallon.

About 2850gph total. I can see the polyps moving in the different directions, and when I dump in food I can see how it travels.

If it is stripping the flesh from a coral, you've hit the "too much point." :D The only way that I've seen that happen so far though is when someone put a coral too close to the output and the flow was too turbulent.

Back