Need your help Roy.

Ehudd

Only for the fact Im interested in which spieces it is.
I was in exmouth (western australia) last year, and was just snorkeling in 1m of water looking for critters. I started to noticed holes and 2 big eyes in them. I managed to get one. Def a mantis shrimp and they were everywhere.
I know spearers live in the same, but on close expection this did not look like a spearer at all
http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthro...straca/royslist/species.php?name=o_havanensis
this would be my closest guess ive looked through them all.
But it doesnt seem to live there on your list

Edit: dw, looks like its this one http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/crustacea/malacostraca/eumalacostraca/royslist/species.php?name=h_trispinosa

Only for the fact Im interested in which spieces it is.
I was in exmouth (western australia) last year, and was just snorkeling in 1m of water looking for critters. I started to noticed holes and 2 big eyes in them. I managed to get one. Def a mantis shrimp and they were everywhere.
I know spearers live in the same, but on close expection this did not look like a spearer at all
http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthro...straca/royslist/species.php?name=o_havanensis
this would be my closest guess ive looked through them all.
But it doesnt seem to live there on your list

Edit: dw, looks like its this one http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthro...straca/royslist/species.php?name=h_trispinosa

Stomatopods in a general sense are extremely polymorphic, basing assessment off color alone is usually not the most accurate way of determining a species.

Australia is home to 1/3 of all stomatopods if not much more, I wouldn't be surprised to find species here (in Australia as I am aussie too) that are generally NOT listed as being found here.

Australia is a natural wonder for marine life and things are being discovered here almost daily...

EDIT: Your best bet for a direct response from Dr. Caldwell is to email him (by clicking on his name in the forums Gonodactyl) but even then he is a busy man...he might respond over night, he might not get back to you for a fortnight.

Stomatopods can be quite dense - up to several per square meter, but there are only a few Australian species that spend most of their time sitting in the entrance of their cavities or burrows. I few questions. Were they in burrows or cavities? How big were they. Were the eyes light or dark? I doubt that they were Odontodactylus since they tend to live deeper. Haptosquilla seems more likely.

ROy

Stomatopods can be quite dense - up to several per square meter, but there are only a few Australian species that spend most of their time sitting in the entrance of their cavities or burrows. I few questions. Were they in burrows or cavities? How big were they. Were the eyes light or dark? I doubt that they were Odontodactylus since they tend to live deeper. Haptosquilla seems more likely.

ROy

Hey mate thanks for the response. Some actually just lived in old snail shells or rock but I did see some in the sand. They were all very small. Their eyes where big and yellow. They seems to not be shy at all when Id put my hand near them. I saw at least 20 within 3 square meters. I've been there 2 times since and they all remain there.

I got a mate that goes diving frequently.

He recently came upon what he said was "a school of mantis shrimp" instantly I said, no there definitely not stomatopods since no mantis I know schools let alone tolerates another of its own species....

But then he retorted and said, they weren't exactly "schooling" as in together more so in a small area and just lots of them....

So I got more curious and asked how many, he said HUNDREDS, that would quickly dart into there burrows in the sand as I approached closer, then they would come back out as I went passed.

To provide further evidence he captured one of the animals and kept it in a tank which he took photos of and sent to me the picture of..............a P.ciliata absolutely indistinguishable eyes =).

I thought Hundreds of P.ciliata within a small sandy area...that sounds interesting.

I now boosted his confidence enough in trying to keep a pair in a large tank =) why not I said...for the sheer side of experimentation you might loose some to others but that is experimenting and when there are hundreds on your door step....I say do it!

He will soon be sending me one (as I want one xD) along with as many hermits as he can find =D lol

I made a note of him to if he could, take a photo of the "school" (whilst there all out and about) so I can post it on here.

All in all it further adds to Stomatopods living in quite dense populations within certain places.

Have I ever posted my thoughts on you lucky SOBs out there on the door step to the largest reef in the world? I hate you all. Just kidding I don’t hate you I envy the ability to just walk out into that environment.

But really I hate you! Just kidding. But Really………………………..

Cant wait to see the pix.

Have I ever posted my thoughts on you lucky SOBs out there on the door step to the largest reef in the world? I hate you all. Just kidding I don't hate you I envy the ability to just walk out into that environment.

But really I hate you! Just kidding. But Really"¦"¦"¦"¦"¦"¦"¦"¦"¦..

Cant wait to see the pix.

I Live in Perth. But go up to exmouth when I can. Mate, its absolutely beautiful. I dont usually go dive on the actual reef, i tend to stay in the very shallows and look at all the critters, although i can freedive 20m+ (had to brag haha)

I'm yet to see the great barrier reef. When there and the weather was shocking. So I ended up getting drunk... hahaha.

I Live in Perth. But go up to exmouth when I can. Mate, its absolutely beautiful. I dont usually go dive on the actual reef, i tend to stay in the very shallows and look at all the critters, although i can freedive 20m+ (had to brag haha)

I'm yet to see the great barrier reef. When there and the weather was shocking. So I ended up getting drunk... hahaha.

My Friend is going to look for you so im going to try get up there my self soon and help with search Kharn is there anything around Geralton or Abrohlos that takes your Fancy.

hahaha solid, i hope to make it down that way for sure man, definitely would hit up the GBR due to the fact youre like 16000 km away from me...:dance:

Back