Nems!

CAPT_Dave

Alright, Reef Central, how do you get a particularly stubborn 'nem to move? These guys have taken up residence in holes in this base rock and are now bullying all the corals around them. They have beaten every attempt I've made to make them unhappy enough to let go in favor of another location, most recently holding on through THREE WEEKS of direct current from a powerhead. They cowered for a 10 days or so until they got too hungry and just when I thought they'd let go from hunger...they flowered out in the strong current and just took it! I swear, each one extended a single tentacle in my direction, as if saying, well, never mind what they're saying. Meanwhile, I've got sand all over the place. I've tried tickling the foot, but can't really reach it. Tried ice on the foot...they don't care. As you can see, they are on base rock and I really don't think I'm willing to tear the tank apart to take out that huge piece to hang them and all the other attached corals over water until they let go. So now I've tried or declined every trick I've come across. Anyone know a secret to this problem?

I wouldn't care except that they are draping themselves all over the zoas, leather, and birdnest corals around them and I like the corals much more.

Ideas?

Alright, Reef Central, how do you get a particularly stubborn 'nem to move? These guys have taken up residence in holes in this base rock and are now bullying all the corals around them. They have beaten every attempt I've made to make them unhappy enough to let go in favor of another location, most recently holding on through THREE WEEKS of direct current from a powerhead. They cowered for a 10 days or so until they got too hungry and just when I thought they'd let go from hunger...they flowered out in the strong current and just took it! I swear, each one extended a single tentacle in my direction, as if saying, well, never mind what they're saying. Meanwhile, I've got sand all over the place. I've tried tickling the foot, but can't really reach it. Tried ice on the foot...they don't care. As you can see, they are on base rock and I really don't think I'm willing to tear the tank apart to take out that huge piece to hang them and all the other attached corals over water until they let go. So now I've tried or declined every trick I've come across. Anyone know a secret to this problem?

I wouldn't care except that they are draping themselves all over the zoas, leather, and birdnest corals around them and I like the corals much more.

Ideas?
a0267851b707d879f757964ee563e75a.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I would certainly prefer that they live...but at great risk of being thrown off the reef central island, I confess that I am not immune to temptation.

Then you can pull, cut--toss.
I've thrown so many of those away it's insane. I started giving them away, that became inconvenient so when i saw one "loose" in the morning, i'd just grab it out and into the trash it went. Then i was off to work w/out worrying about a rouge nem.

RTBAs can be like weeds. I started with two 2 yrs ago...there's 13 now.

I am facing the same dilemma, the local market has collapsed, can't even give them away. Any of them that wander off the rocks and onto the glass are going to be flushed, I'm afraid.

Yeah, three things that seemed like a good idea at the time:
1. Xenia
2. Green Star Polyps
3. Red Bubble Tip Anemone

Bet ya can't have just one!

I've read that if you blast it with a power head it will get ****ed off and let go of whatever its holding onto

The only reason why I don't keep BTA anemone anymore. If you can take out the rock, turn it upside down in a pan with a little saltwater in it with the tentacles slightly touching the water. It will release it foot after sometime. Or, you can chisel the rock where it stick. Last but not least, take out the rock and donate to somebody. Good luck

I basted them with powerhead for three weeks. No joy. They cowered for 10 days or so then got hungry and just came out and fluttered in the stream. Big sand mess.

The rock is a very large base rock with lots of coral that I really like. No way it's coming out until I decide it's time for a new build. Not likely anytime soon.

I appreciate all the good advice. I'll keep trying.

Back