Neon dottyback... ate an emerald crab?

djryan2000

I woke up this morning to finding an empty emerald crab shell lying on its back with seam on the back ripped open. Seams like a normal molt. Here's a photo of the shell - it's not opened normally
IMG_0989.jpg

He was acting normal last night picking at the rocks and I spot feed the emerald crabs mysis in the morning and seaweed at night.
Here's the video of the fish with a very bloated stomach for those who are interested

https://youtu.be/etPQD_Bv44w

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

as he molted its possible the fish picked at it and killed it. No way would he get eaten by the dottyback if the crab had its shell on.

The crab might have died and the dottyback ate the carcass.
But it isn't impossible that the dottyback actually killed it in the first place. They are known to go after shrimp. And crabs may be on their menu as well.
Though I doubt it was due to molding. The shell doesn't look soft and the damage would likely be different.

The crab might have died and the dottyback ate the carcass.
But it isn't impossible that the dottyback actually killed it in the first place. They are known to go after shrimp. And crabs may be on their menu as well.
Though I doubt it was due to molding. The shell doesn't look soft and the damage would likely be different.

Maybe.

When I first started the tank the dottyback and crabs were put in and when the crabs died he never picked at the dead bodies. 2 died before molting and one molted and slowly fell apart and died which I blamed on the decorator crab but maybe it was the dottyback as well

Dottybacks are predators, and a crab during and after molt is pretty soft. And tasty.

Dottybacks are predators, and a crab during and after molt is pretty soft. And tasty.

When the other crab came out when I fed the tank and was going to spot feed him, the dottyback went after him!

I personally do not like dottybacks. I had one. It attacked everything in my tank, with plenty of room, no question of overcrowding. They are also extremely difficult to catch. I had to unbuild my reef to get it out.

.....if underfed, yes......

I personally do not like dottybacks. I had one. It attacked everything in my tank, with plenty of room, no question of overcrowding. They are also extremely difficult to catch. I had to unbuild my reef to get it out.

......yep. I've been told by more than one person at my LFS and people here about these fish. I was interested in one. Glad I passed. I would have had WW3 on my hands in my 90.....
:(
Unfortunate because the Neon Dottyback is a gorgeous fish....

:(
Unfortunate because the Neon Dottyback is a gorgeous fish....

Gorgeous and the personality - if I look into my tank mine swims right up in my face and looks at me. I love it. Hopefully, he will leave the other emerald alone... considering he isn't super aggressive to new fish - I've added a clown after he's been running my tank for a few months with no issues.

Back