New DIY Ca reactor

cutting

cutting

I cut the pipe with a fine hack saw, dont try to cut straight through the pipe you will crack it, rotate and cut a little at the time.

BTW WalMart carries a black version of the cutting board for those that want everything to match. Here in Charlotte, NC they were <$4. Which MAG pump is that? Can't wait for a detailed How To with plenty of pics. ;)

pump

pump

The pump is a mag#2, I threaded it directly into the reactor, you have to remove the impeller housing and screw it in then put the pump back together>>>>GEBC

How about a full-list of materials and a quick-step guide?

We would all be very much in appreciation.

Thanks,
Steve

reactor

reactor

Iââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢m in the process of changing some plumbing to accept a diy self filling bubble counter, I am also refitting the reactor tops, and I will post updated pictures and a material list after completion>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>GEBC

Re: tubes

Re: tubes

greeneyedblackcat said:
I purchased the acrylic tubes at www.usplastic.com , they are $6.35 a foot and the size you need is 4.5" od.

I'm looking on their site, and all I can find seems to be "

44065 Acrylic Tubing With 1/8" Wall Thickness 4-1/2" OD Foot $15.84 "

Is this what you're talking about? Just curious since you say ~6 a foot, and they have 15! Thats a big price jump!

reactor

reactor

I am in the process of refitting lids for the reactor, after testing the lids will only hold about 2 pounds of pressure, they will work fine on a kalk reactor (no pressure) but not on a dual stage ca reactor because the hydraulic pressure from the second tower filling pops the first ones lid just as jeff 967 had said. I do have a solution and I waiting on some parts that are coming by mail, I will post the finished reactor, pictures, plans etc after completion.

reactor

reactor

Here is a picture

Attachments

• rev1.jpg
    rev1.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 0
list

list

Materials list

2, Ã"šÃ‚½Ã¢â"šÂ¬Ã‚ slip X slip 45% $.20 ea
1, Ã"šÃ‚½Ã¢â"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢ 4 way cross t $ 1.00 ea
2, Ã"šÃ‚½Ã¢â"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢ slip X silp 90% $.20 ea
3, Ã"šÃ‚½Ã¢â"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢ npt X Ã"šÃ‚½Ã¢â"šÂ¬Ã‚ slip 90% $.50 ea
2, Ã"šÃ‚½Ã¢â"šÂ¬Ã‚ female threaded adapter $ .50 ea
1, Ã"šÃ‚½Ã¢â"šÂ¬Ã‚ male threaded adapter $ .50 ea
1, Ã"šÃ‚½Ã¢â"šÂ¬Ã‚ cap $.19 ea
1, 3/8ââ"šÂ¬Ã‚ X Ã"šÃ‚½Ã¢â"šÂ¬Ã‚ npt barb $ 1.20 ea
1, Ã"šÃ‚¾Ã¢â"šÂ¬Ã‚ X Ã"šÃ‚½Ã¢â"šÂ¬Ã‚ npt barb $ 1.25 ea
2, Ã"šÃ‚½Ã¢â"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢ 90% speed fittings $2.50 ea
1, Ã"šÃ‚¼Ã¢â"šÂ¬Ã‚ 90% speed fitting $2.50 ea
1, Ã"šÃ‚¼Ã¢â"šÂ¬Ã‚ X Ã"šÃ‚¼Ã¢â"šÂ¬Ã‚ npt speed fitting valve $5.00 ea
4, 4ââ"šÂ¬Ã‚ schedule 40 couplings $1.65 ea
4, 4ââ"šÂ¬Ã‚ styrene drain grates $1.95 ea
2, 4ââ"šÂ¬Ã‚ styrene drain caps $.95 ea
2 feet Ã"šÃ‚½Ã¢â"šÂ¬Ã‚ polyethylene tube $??? Pennies
2 feet Ã"šÃ‚¼Ã¢â"šÂ¬Ã‚ polyethylene tube $??? Pennies
1, Ã"šÃ‚¼Ã¢â"šÂ¬Ã‚ X Ã"šÃ‚¼Ã¢â"šÂ¬Ã‚ npt speed fitting $ 2.50 ea
1 foot Ã"šÃ‚½Ã¢â"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢ pvc water pipe $??? Pennies
1 foot clear Ã"šÃ‚½Ã¢â"šÂ¬Ã‚ pvc pipe $ 1.85 ea
1, walmart cutting board $ 3.88 ea
2, Hand-tite no metal pressure test caps $ 9.00 ea (aquatic ecosystems)
2, 21ââ"šÂ¬Ã‚ acrylic 4.5ââ"šÂ¬Ã‚ od tubes 1/8ââ"šÂ¬Ã‚ wall $ 6.12 per foot (us plastics)
8, stainless steel flat head 1ââ"šÂ¬Ã‚ #8 machine screws for attaching base $2

I am not a plumber so my terminology might be slightly off, all prices are approximate from memory, on my reactor I do have two extra fittings at the top, this is because my lids didnââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢t work out and I had to go with the pressure plugs, you can just use the plugs directly on the 4ââ"šÂ¬Ã‚ couplings and locate your fittings lower on the coupling, this list should get you close, I left the circulation pump off because everybody has their own personal preference. Most of the fittings came from home depot, I hope this helps. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>GEBC

Last edited:
Back