New DIY Ca reactor

Argh! I had searched that USPlastics site before but could not find the tubing, so I ended up buying 2 feet of it for $12/foot elsewhere! Well, on USPlastics, it's only 6 somthing, but you gotta buy 6 feet of it. But probably easy enough to re-sell the unused portion to other DIY hobbiests! IF only I'd read this thread 2 days ago...

V

Re: reactor

greeneyedblackcat said:
One more picture

I have tried like crazy to find a pressure tight top that fits right, but have not been successful. I found some at K-mart but none of them fit 3" or 4" PVC. Any ideas?

Oxinyourbox

I check walmart and found the cuttingboard with black corners and replaced the corners on my base, it looks much better black, here is a picture.

Last edited:
you know,

when i married my wife, she had a green eyed black cat. her name was 'furi' prnounced foody (not fury as the vet kept calling her). she was a total joy nad i loved her very much. she was a very interesting cat as that she would follow me around everywhere i went. when i laid some new sod in the backyard, she would sit patiently at the edge of the new sod and move up with me with each increment. she is no longer with me and i miss her. she looked very similar to the one in your personal info section.

oh, i digress!

when you screw the stainless steel screws into the lid to the base...do you worry about possible leaks or did you silicone these together? also, did you use pvc cement to attach the clear acrylic to the pvc endcaps?

thank you!

oh yeah,

another question...how did you make the bubble counter? and how did you attach the 1/4" tubing into the 1/2" pvc?

i guess that is two questions.

thank you!

reactor

reactor

Im glad to hear there are black cat fans out there, the screws never come in contact with the water, I screw a 4ââ"šÂ¬Ã‚ thinwall drain grate to the cutting board upside down and then glue a 4ââ"šÂ¬Ã‚ thinwall drainage pipe cap onto that and then I glue the 4ââ"šÂ¬Ã‚ schedule 40 coupling on top, here is a picture that might help, there are four drain grates in this plan, two of them hold the media off of the bottom. I use standard clear pvc glue to join the acrylic to the pvc.

Attachments

• base parts.jpg
    base parts.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 0
bubble counter

bubble counter

the bubble counter is just a piece of 1/2' clear pvc glued to a cap and a 1/2' 90% fitting, the 1/2" cap is threaded to accept a 1/8" npt barb fitting.

Attachments

• b counter.jpg
    b counter.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 0
hi gebc,

well, went to home depot to look the parts over...lemme guess if this is how you assembled it:

- take the 4" end cap and screw it into the cutting board
- glue the grate flat side up to support the media

hi gebc,

well, went to home depot to look the parts over...lemme guess if this is how you assembled it:

hi gebc,

hi gebc,

hi gebc,

The screws never come in contact with the water, I screw a 4ââ"šÂ¬Ã‚ thinwall drain grate to the cutting board upside down and then glue a 4ââ"šÂ¬Ã‚ thinwall drainage pipe cap onto that and then I glue the 4ââ"šÂ¬Ã‚ schedule 40 coupling on top, there are four drain grates in this plan, two of them hold the media off of the bottom. I use standard clear pvc glue to join the acrylic to the pvc.

base

base

If you look close you can see the screws poking through the drain grates, the heads are on the other side of the board

Attachments

• base parts.jpg
    base parts.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 0
i finally got the attaching the grate onto the cutting board, then the cap, then the coupler...took only a thousand years...

now...the 4.5" clear acrylic will fit perfectly into the coupler? is it just a matter of putting a grate flat side up on top of the pvc end cap and then gluing the acrylic tube to the coupler?

then do i glue couplers on top of the acrylic and the remaining space should be for the hand tighten end caps?

the plumbing questions will come as i get to that point.

your design appears to be incredibly effecient to put together if you plan by getting the right parts.

this is by far the best design yet.

thank you for your help so far.

Bergzy

Thanks for the nice comment, the 4.5 inch tubing will glue directly to the 4" sch 40 coupling, make sure you get 1/8" wall tubing, the drain grate will not fit into 1/4" wall acrylic.>>>>>>>>GEBC

Attachments

• dcp02985.jpg
    dcp02985.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 0
Back