New Giganteas with Pedal Laceration

Here's an update of the duo. The colors are now a lot better than before. The purple regain all of its zoanthallae making it more brown in appearance.

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Gorgeous carpets and the rest of the tank too! Do these not do well under LEDs (saw someone mention MH/T5 earlier)? Do they move at all or generally stay put? What are you feeding and how often? Stunners!

I'm not going to comment on the LED since I am MH/T5 biased.
I'm not a fan of feeding nems. They get what the clowns give them and what they can catch during my daily fish feeding.
This is a comparison shot from last Nov(when first introduced to the tank) to now. You can see that they stay well put.
November 2014
original.jpg

August 2015
original.jpg

How established was the reef before you added them? I'm assuming I'll need 6 months at least after reaching stable parameters.
Would you guys trust an online dealer or just local? Any cost expectations on a blue/purple?

Impressive, I'm so tempted to go to MH but I want to give my ATI 24w 8 bulb a shot. Seems to be going well for now though. Awesome tank and love the gigs. I have a 10" purple that was bleached and a 5" that was bleached I'm trying to rescue. Going good so far but I noticed you said you prefer not to feed anemones? You don't feed your gigs at all? What benefit do you get from not feeding or is it just personal preference to keep nutrients down or worried about bad food? I also noticed you only have one pump for flow, is it an MP40 and no issues without foam guards? I have a 93 cube which my gigs reside and was thinking of adding a gyre 130 to supplement with my mp40 but worry about no foam guards.

How established was the reef before you added them? I'm assuming I'll need 6 months at least after reaching stable parameters.
Would you guys trust an online dealer or just local? Any cost expectations on a blue/purple?

The tank was an upgrade from an Elos system 70. The tank, however, is much larger and it was running in parallel for a couple months before I moved the content of the S70 into it. The giganteas were added 3 months after the tank was set up. Some of you may disagree with that but it worked out for me. In general, I would advise to wait unless you really feel that the tank is ready and the specimen is healthy enough to begin with.
I special ordered through a very good LFS. He sent me pics from his supplier prior shipping to the store. I was out of town that week but he texted me a couple pics of the giganteas when the they arrived. I only agreed to let the supplier ship to him after receiving the pictures from the supplier and saw how healthy they were.

Impressive, I'm so tempted to go to MH but I want to give my ATI 24w 8 bulb a shot. Seems to be going well for now though. Awesome tank and love the gigs. I have a 10" purple that was bleached and a 5" that was bleached I'm trying to rescue. Going good so far but I noticed you said you prefer not to feed anemones? You don't feed your gigs at all? What benefit do you get from not feeding or is it just personal preference to keep nutrients down or worried about bad food? I also noticed you only have one pump for flow, is it an MP40 and no issues without foam guards? I have a 93 cube which my gigs reside and was thinking of adding a gyre 130 to supplement with my mp40 but worry about no foam guards.

I don't feed the anemones because there's no need. Some people feed them because they want to get them bigger. That's not the case for me. The bigger the anemone, the more PITA for me to place my corals. I only want something for my clowns. The asymbiotic relationship is very enjoyable to watch.
I'm using 2xMP40QD running at max power in long pulse. The return also provide another 600GPH or so. I do not have issue with critters running into the pump. The snails sometime goes in front but comes right back out. I do not feed pause the pump so there's no fish can get in it.

The green seem to be a lot smaller than the purple one. What ever happened to the tear on the column of the purple one?

Minh,
Thanks for noticing that. Shortly after my last update, the green went into a shrinking state. At one point, I thought I was going to lose it. It was strange since it has been happy and grown for over a year. I didn't know what to do and did not do anything but just watched. my purple one did not seem to be affected. This makes me wonder how many of those small giganteas are actually a monster at one point.
I don't know what happen to the pedal laceration on the purple one. It's still a monster and I haven't tried to find it.

Very nice tank. The green one seem to have recovered. The little peak at him, he seem healthy. One of my green one is going through the same thing right now, and is recovering also. Do you any of your wrasse though the open top? I want to put in some wrasse in my tank but afraid I would loose them through jumping.

Yes. Open top and most wrasses is a problem. After losing a flasher wrasse, I built a mesh using the BRS mesh kit. It works nice. However, I bought a pintail fairy wrasse and it was eating like a pig. I honestly didn't think there was any issue with it. But after about 8 months or so, I found the body on the sand. I started reading and asking how long fairy/flasher live in captivity. The answer I got was about 3-5years. Since then, I haven't wanted to keep wrasses.
My bipartitus and a line spot is the only wrasse left in the tank. I took the screen off when I'm at home watching the tank.

I keep a Leopard wrasse. Will see how mine fare. They are very nice and healthy. I just hope I don't find them on the floor one day. They are sand divers so hope go to the sand she spook rather up.

IME, leopard wrasse are a lot more carpet-safe than other wrasses. I've kept bipartitus in my previous smaller rimless without any issue.

Do you have any idea why your green gig shrunk? I didn't want to adjust anything at the time since my purple was perfectly fine when the green one was shrinking. It happens pretty quick too. Over a period of about two weeks, it shrunk from 12" down to ~5". I honestly thought I was going to lose it. I wonder if they're fighting each other through chemical attack. But they're the same species.

I'm not sure why gigs do that. I've had the same thing happen over the last couple years with mine too, different gigs go through a rough patch at different times for different reasons. I've had them collapse from a large meal, a snail, bristle worm, too much KH, too much calcium, lack of water changes, etc. Mine seem to do really well with higher SG, lower SG not so much-changing levels tick them off easy. My water is very far from perfect. Different ones get upset from different reasons. The only thing I can say is, when they collapse, try to step back and think outside the box, as to what could have made them collapse. I had one of my blues collapse from too low flow, and one of my greens too. Upped the flow and back to glory in a few days. I have a purple in the 75 that collapses for days if I add too much calcium at once, every time, like clockwork. None of the others react this way. A couple react negatively with big meals, while a couple others react positively. I've watched a slow decline over months with light too low, only detectable to me by looking back at pictures. The only thing I can say is, none of them are the same! I know what it's like to have one on the decline right next to one doing great, frustrating.

This makes me wonder how many of those small giganteas are actually a monster at one point.
I agree with this too. I have a blue I got from my buddy Pete a year and a half ago. He had it almost 2 years. While Pete had it, he fed it all the time, large pieces of food. He grew it to at least 20-22", maybe even 24". It got tentacles 4", maybe longer. I never saw a gig with such long tents. It was a real beauty. Then his tanks got neglected, it shrank,(they all regressed), he got out and I bought them all (5 of them). That same blue gig today, the tents are about 1-1.5" long, body is a folded 8" wide, by about 10" long laying between rocks in a crack. Layed out like a plate, it's maybe 12" diameter (a guess if I pulled it and stretched it to measure it). A far cry from what it was. Today, it's healthy, looks good, and I rarely ever feed it (lately, a small piece maybe once a week). It was a monster at one time. If you run across a thread of ptr13 on RC, he refers to this gig as "Goliath", it was a monster at one time. You'd never know it today by looking at it.

An update to this gigantea with its new residents.
These are of C-Quest lineage. I will definitely breed them and raise the fries when they're ready. This way I don't have to search the end of the earth to find the perfect Onyx pair.
Still kicking myself for not taking out the eggs and raise the fries when my old pair(lost them in December) was laying eggs for the past year.

<iframe width="800" height="450" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RIso5hf_pqM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I love looking at your anemones. Your video shows an exquisite tank, something I aspire to. The only thing that gives me pause is the fish. Have you had any losses to the anemones? I really would like to have a tank very much like yours, but I am afraid to add fish. You seem to have no problems. Any recommendations or hints for keeping them together?

Back