New Giganteas with Pedal Laceration

this is me

Good to be back in the gigantean club. ;)
Picked these two up last night from my lfs. I wasn't going to get back to giganteas but after he showed me the pictures of the giganteas at the supplier and it could be shipped to arrive the day after, I couldn't resist.

Yellowish Green
original.jpg

original.jpg

Purple. This is a monster. A lot bigger than I desire.
original.jpg

One small budding from pedal laceration on the purple. I'm not sure if there's more but what I found last night.
original.jpg

Wow.....what a coup!

That purple monster will likely become 16-18" once it expands. Finding healthy, colorful gigs is rare.

very niiiice.... hope they do well for you.

i'm not familiar with the "buds" on a gig. i only recently acquired a couple. is a bud a result of the laceration and just how it heals? maybe offspring of some sort? i thought they spawned though...

Hey Nick congrats again on the new gigs.

wow beautiful !

i hope the pedal thing is nothing serious, under your care i think it would be healthy. are they both in your display or frag tank?

please keep us posted on the condition.

Well, I guess my display can be a frag tank for some people. It's full of SPS frags. :)
I'm hoping to get for info on gigantea laceration and the success rate of the offspring in captivity. The only thread on it is the sticky one at the top of the forum and there was more info on anti-biotic treatment than the laceration itself.

Well, I guess my display can be a frag tank for some people. It's full of SPS frags. :)
I'm hoping to get for info on gigantea laceration and the success rate of the offspring in captivity. The only thread on it is the sticky one at the top of the forum and there was more info on anti-biotic treatment than the laceration itself.

yes because the infection is the number killer of these beautiful animal and the laceration is so rare that's why :) so sorry you received one of the rare animal :lolspin:

let me assume you are not treating them with any medication right now.

They don't look to be sick IMO and I'm afraid the treatment will stress it out.
I do have Cipro in hand if needed.

Very good Nick. I hope they will do well for you. I love that green. I am still looking for a green one.

One small budding from pedal laceration on the purple. I'm not sure if there's more but what I found last night.
original.jpg

I saw another bud last night. It's a smaller one and you can actually see it in this picture. It's under the bigger bud between the "V" in the fold.

Last time someone posted about this monitor it for at least 6 months then he stop update. No one that I know off report successful reproduction of Haddoni by this method. Keep us update please. You will be the first if you end up with several

I doubt that it is true budding, as in a form of genuine reproduction. IMO, it is more likely to be some sort of genetic deformity. A good number of babies are born with 11 toes, so why wouldn't the occasional gigantea develop "buds"?

Yeah, when I saw this on the purple gigantea, I had to recall my post because I remember someone on here had this on their gigantea. This turned out to be the Pedal Laceration thread that was a sticky at the top of this forum section. Unfortunately, that gig did not make it due to infection which is very common with these anemones.

I've read many articles about anemone reproduction and particularly pedal laceration. But I haven't found any article describing gigantea reproduction. The pedal laceration is quite different from what I've seen that was dubbed pedal laceration of gigantea in this forum.
http://www.asnailsodyssey.com/LEARNABOUT/ANEMONE/anemAsex.php
The anemone basically leave behind bits of themselves. These bits, I assume contain all the function of the anemone and is capable of surviving on its own.

I guess time will tell if this is truly pedal laceration in progress or just a deformality.

Back