New Shallow Build!

TCKelsey

Well I havent been on here in a while, but ive moved and im building a new tank setup!

I have my 75G that ill be downsizing, but not using much of the equipment.

I just bought this 27G (I believe) from the Out of Business sale down in Cutler Bay.

Ive always wanted a shallow tank and now is my opportunity. The tank is 40"x20"x7".

20120730_165244.jpg

Now I need some suggestions on lighting, I would love to have LED but theyre so dam expensive and I would probably need one for each side of this tank.

I still have to build my stand which I will start on tomorrow. I also need to order plumbing parts. Does anyone have a suggestion on where to order that from?

Thanks! and Ill keep this updated as I move along

Look at building your own multichip led set up. Its not hard at all and I just set up one as a test on my shallow tank. You should probably be good with 2 or 3 chips for that length. There's a thread in the DIY forum that's going on. Called minimalistic DIY multichip.

Look at building your own multichip led set up. Its not hard at all and I just set up one as a test on my shallow tank. You should probably be good with 2 or 3 chips for that length. There's a thread in the DIY forum that's going on. Called minimalistic DIY multichip.

I skimmed through there a little bit, but I am completely lost when it comes to that stuff. Maybe ill go back and try to understand it. How much did you spend on your setup if you dont mind me asking?

Whatever I cant get at HD or lowes I use www.savko.com

Thanks! Ill def use that site. What size bulkhead would I use for a 2" opening?

Mine was $42 shipped but I'd reccommend going with Atleast a 50 watt hybrid chip and heatsink with fan for each of the pendants.

Pm me if u want and I can explain it in more detail. It was confusing for me too when I was trying to understand it. Still is a bit but there ate a couple people on this board that know their stuff.

Thanks! Ill def use that site. What size bulkhead would I use for a 2" opening?

Info is on website.

Regarding lights I de go with 36" T-5 elevated a little bit to cover the whole 40".

That being said: Most important question is what do you want to keep? Seven inch depth, including LR does not give you much for growth. I have SPS ive grown from frags that are > 1-1.5 feet tall. They started as 1/2 to 1" frags. Even monti caps get tall as they scroll.

Most 7" tanks are considered frag tanks. :wavehand:

Info is on website.

Regarding lights I de go with 36" T-5 elevated a little bit to cover the whole 40".

That being said: Most important question is what do you want to keep? Seven inch depth, including LR does not give you much for growth. I have SPS ive grown from frags that are > 1-1.5 feet tall. They started as 1/2 to 1" frags. Even monti caps get tall as they scroll.

Most 7" tanks are considered frag tanks. :wavehand:

Yup I know i dont have much room! lol but ive always loved shallow tanks for whatever reason. Im gonna transfer my zoa collection and clams from my 75G. Maybe down the road ill try some SPS one day, but for now probably not.

I have been considering T5's but ive never used them. Any input on what to get?
I'd like a unit thats good looking. to go with the whole rimless flow of the tank.

There is a ATI Sunpower 6x39W for sale in the used goods section for $325, think thats a good deal at all?

I would not run 6 t5s on that shallow of a tank. You will have to raise it so high due to the high amount of light your corals will get. Stick to LED in my opinion. Or if you do t5 only limit the amount of bulbs you run. Just my .02. I would really research your options before pulling the trigger on a lighting option. What you have is a frag tank.

I would not run 6 t5s on that shallow of a tank. You will have to raise it so high due to the high amount of light your corals will get. Stick to LED in my opinion. Or if you do t5 only limit the amount of bulbs you run. Just my .02. I would really research your options before pulling the trigger on a lighting option. What you have is a frag tank.

Yup Ive thought about that, I dont want to have too much light for this tank. How many T5's one you think I should run on it if I was to go that route?

I've seen quite a few shallows on that nano forum that are running T5s. Look up Hypes Archipilago for some ideas. He might have a thread here, but definitely has an epic thread on that other forum. He started with T5, then halide, then LED then back to T5 or somehthing like that. That is one of me favorite all time shallows. I'm pretty sure he had a powermodule or some kind of ATI fixture. GL, looks like a cool tank.

Yup Ive thought about that, I dont want to have too much light for this tank. How many T5's one you think I should run on it if I was to go that route?

I don't know. But 6 t5s sounds like a lot for zoas. Unless you raise it up a good amount.

If you already have the fixture try it out.

I dont have a light fixture at the moment. I think im going to go the route of DIY LEDs and hope for the best lol

I need some advice on what type of drain system to use. As you can see in the picture the tank has a single 2 1/2" hole. What would you guys suggest that I do?

20120801_153948.jpg

20120801_153958.jpg

Not much updates as of yet. I picked up the lumber to build my stand the other day but havent gotten around to it yet. Ill get some pictures along the way.

Ive been busy going back and forth on what lights i want :headwalls:

Im actually doing alot of research right now as I sit at the fire house :D

Back