New Store - Lakeland!

Status
Not open for further replies.

utry2win

I was driving down S. Florida Ave this morning and happened to spot a brand new store! I stopped in, and they had just opened today. I took a look around, and the store looks fantastic, the equipment is very nice, professionally built. The livestock looks great as well. Nice selection of quality fish and inverts. Also carrys a large selection of dry goods

I spoke to the owner while I was there, his name is Todd and he said he hosted a frag swap there a few months ago, before the store was put together. Seems like a super smart guy, and very down to earth. The owner and store manager (Matt) seem to care a lot about the livestock they carry, and it shows in the amount of effort they have put into the store.

Anyways, I grabbed a card and figured I would let some of the locals know there apears to be a better option than wasting your time at the other Lakeland stores.

Studio Aquatics
1419 S Florida Ave
Lakeland, FL 33803
(863) 683-7333

Located on the west side of the road, between Ariana and Beacon.

Todd told me they would be open all weekend including monday. I didn't write down the hours but I think they said 10am-7pm.

I think this is the store my BF went to for the frag swap. He said they had a real nice vehicle wrap done.
He came home with 3 buckets of frags.

Finally, another selection in Lakeland.... The plans he had at the swap looked pretty good....have to check it out now.....

Diane and I stopped in there today and visited with Todd, the owner. The store setup looks great. There are two large shallow tanks setup to display/sell zoanthids, lps, softies, etc. There is a wall of small tanks to display/sell fish. The fish and coral all looked healthy. The sps tank and another large tank is still cycling. Todd sells Brightwell Aquatics reef supplies and several types of salt. We spoke with Todd about his plans and philosophies concerning the hobby and trade, and I say very carefully that he reminds me of John and Marcye. I think Studio Aquatics will be a great asset to reefers in and around the Polk County area. If you are in the area, check it out.

I am from Wesley Chapel so for me it would be a long drive, in your opinion would it be a drive worth making? Other than FAOIS and Corral Coral which is still a drive we don't have much else around us.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13265511#post13265511 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Coral C's
I am from Wesley Chapel so for me it would be a long drive, in your opinion would it be a drive worth making? Other than FAOIS and Corral Coral which is still a drive we don't have much else around us.
I would give them time to finish getting everything together.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13265539#post13265539 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Coral C's
Then that is what I will do. I have heard of Nolans out in the Lakeland area, any opinon about them?

I hate to talk bad about any business, but, umm, NO! I buy a few things there, snails and hermits mostly, but most of their livestock doesn't look so good.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13265539#post13265539 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Coral C's
Then that is what I will do. I have heard of Nolans out in the Lakeland area, any opinon about them?

Nolan's and Lynn's are pretty comparable....not fantastic, but not bad either.

I was just in Studio Aquatics today as well.... (I must have missed you mflamb...) I agree with what mflamb says as well....the shallow tanks in the middle had an interesting powerhead that seemed to put out tons of flow on two sides. It looked a lot different than when the swap occurred....I got a good vibe from it. Should be a breath of fresh air for Lakeland/Polk....

I have never heard of Lynns? Were is that located? If in a few months I make the trip I would like to hit as many as possible in that area.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13266046#post13266046 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Coral C's
mflamb,
I clicked on your 390 build thread today. Awesome tank!!! :)
Thank you!!!

Coral, Nolan's is..okay. If you're shopping for a complete tank, stand, canopy, then Nolan's is your best bet. Huge selection of tanks.

Some of their freshwater fish are really nice. Best looking Rummynose Tetras I've seen in a store, but I'm not all that impressed with their saltwater fish...I've seen a few floaters and fish with ich.

The anemone and coral area is worse. I'd say it's a big step up from Pet City, for sure, but nothing special.

Also, the owner absolutely will not cut you a break. You can walk in there with $1000 cash, and he will not budge $50 on a tank/stand/canopy combo. He won't budge AFTER you give him that $1000 and you come back shopping for a $2000 combo.

I don't typically try to negotiate with LFS, but I *know* they can work with you on the price of a tank combo, so I will ask!

I guess Nolan would rather miss a sale than lose a couple bucks on a sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back