New to hobby

Did you ever look into getting the LEDs? I was wondering how your sps were dong under the lights. I have a couple of T5s for the RS if you need any. I only used them for about a week till my leds came in.

I just pulled the trigger
after all my dilemma about getting Radions or Steve's LEDs, I just pulled the trigger and bought the Steve's LED's 12k option. I looked at MDKs thread and saw he has the 12k and I liked that color, so I will go with that spectrum. (I couldn't find any 14k option) ... I will post pics later on when I get them... hopefully someone can assist in case of anything.

Don't put doubts in my mind Pedro lol

I researched on another forum where a lot of people own Red Sea and have gone to steves LEDs and are pretty happy with them, hopefully everything will look good. It's cool that I will be able to use my moonlights and everything will fit nicely in my canopy.

Last edited:
I'm serious man. You have come so far and doing great. They don't have a lot of power and not really controllable or have a lot of colors. Isn't each strip like $200 and you need 2 ?

This is what I got.... just instead of being 28 RB and 28W... it 'll have the combination of the 12k. I also got the Typhon Controller to dim channels and simulate sunrise/sunset thing.

Total of 56 LEDs - Roughly Equivalent to over 700 watts of Metal Halide light.

This true 168W LED system package includes the following items:

28 - Luxeon ES 3 Watt LEDs - Royal Blue

28 - Luxeon ES 3 Watt LEDs - Neutral White

4 - The Double Digital LED drivers (You now have control over color temperature and intensity balance!)

2 - 29.25" Tubular Aluminum Heatsinks (32.50" total length)

1 - Switching Power Supply (PSU) 400W, 24V @14.6A w/power plug

2 - Pressurizing Cooling Fans w/power regulators. (Plugs directly into PSU)

30ft - Solder by the foot

10ft - 22 Ga wire (PSU to LED Drivers)

35ft - 24 Ga wire (LED Drivers to LEDs)

8 - Stainless Steel Marine Grade #8 screws with T20 Torx head for easy installation

4 - 1.5" Heatsink Mounting screws

2 - Alcohol Pads for LED Cleaning

1 - Thermal Paste

2- Thermal Adhesive

4- Stainless Steel mounting screws

6" - 3/32 Heatshrink Tubing

1 - Downloadable complete step-by-step instruction manual

1 - Much higher reliability and longer lifespan that the "Kessil" systems

*12,000K Super Full Spectrum - This provides you with a proven combination of LEDs to provide Full Spectrum Lighting (Broad Spectrum) to allow your corals to grow up to 2x faster than in the ocean, while not detracting from their natural coloration. This combination emphasizes all common coral colors and iridescence. If you are not sure what color combination to choose, please choose this combination. It has been proven to effectively grow corals in thousands of aquariums worldwide. LEDs included in this selection: 20X 4,000K, 8X Cool Blue, 28X Royal Blue

2 strips of 28 LEDs

I paid 650, they will prewire everything for me so I can do a simple stuff and plug it to my tank timer or whatever I need to do...

I know I know its quite a bit... but I couldn't find 2 used radions...

how wide is the tank ?, the new lenses spread out more on radions. It will work fine especially if you want to keep your hood and the clean look.

my tank is 38 x 21 x 26.2”. There is one guy I talked to from Australia and he switched to 1 Radion Pro, but you can tell that it barely covers (even with Wide angle lens)... I wanted something like Maxspect but wife said no... she wants the canopy to be closed. so I thought about mounting radions.... I was about to get a sweet deal but vendor sold them to someone else.... so I ended with Steve's LEDs, which they fit nicely in the RSM tanks... and from the looks I've seen, i do like it... but I liked the radions a bit better... but I know for the money I spent they are a good option.

We'll I'm not sure if it's a common thing for steves LEDs, almost 3 days and I haven't even heard a thank you for purchasing the kit email. If I don't hear anything by tomorrow I will call paypal and cancell the order... This is disappointing ... I'm not sure if other people who bought this kit wait forever for some sort of contact by steves LEDs

Yup, full spectrum according to steves LEDs.... I'm also on another forum where there are a bunch of guys with Red Sea aquariums and they all are pretty happy with these LEDs, I was talking to some of them and they have heard similar things that at times it takes a while for hear back from steves LEDs...

This is what I got mike

*12,000K Super Full Spectrum - This provides you with a proven combination of LEDs to provide Full Spectrum Lighting (Broad Spectrum) to allow your corals to grow up to 2x faster than in the ocean, while not detracting from their natural coloration. This combination emphasizes all common coral colors and iridescence. If you are not sure what color combination to choose, please choose this combination. It has been proven to effectively grow corals in thousands of aquariums worldwide. LEDs included in this selection: 20X 4,000K, 8X Cool Blue, 28X Royal Blue

Back