New to Photography- G10 Cannon

jedi31

I never owned a camera before. My wife takes all the pictures of the family. So I decided to get a Cannon G-10 P&S camera for my reef tank and family photos. Does anyone own this camera that can give me some feedback? What setting do you use to take reef shots- full tank shots, Macro shots and fish. Maybe you can show me a picture or two? I'm reading the maual and it's confusing for a guy who has no clue about Photography. Thanks very much!

Mike

Your best bet is learning how the camera works. It's very difficult to get good results by copying someone else's settings. A really good book is "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. Once you understand what is happening, when you change a setting, it's much easier to get predictable results.

Cheers

I bought one and am learning more about this everyday. its a whole other hobby to learn about that s for sure.

Yeah I see it's going to be a long process. I pretty much have the reefkeeping down but now I will start learnig the photography side of things. My goal is to take nice shots of my corals/fish and enlarge some of the better photos for framing and displaying them in my fish/TV room. I'm a long way from that though. I see this camera has a Aquarium setting I guess I'll start taking photos and see how that works. So mojo46825 how do you like the camera is it any good at taking macro shots?

Thanks,

Mike

You should google:

Aperture
Shutter Speed
ISO
Metering

I wouldn't go above 400 ISO with a G10 in normal conditions. If you have to you have to.

Please post G9/G10 macro coral shots when available. I've seen samples of G9/G10 macros on Flickr but no coral shots. From the macro samples that I have seen, these cameras can be tack sharp!

Back