NOAA proposes 66 reef building coral on endangered list

I have no issue with severely limiting or even banning the wild collection of some corals. Making the transfer of aquacultured specimens illegal is positively ludicrous. The reef keeping hobby and coral aquaculture has done as much to advance our knowledge of these animals as scientific institutions.

This is a huge cause for alarm in the hobby.

Once a species gets listed as threatened, or endangered, they can outlaw ALL trade in that species. It doesn't matter if that species is grown in captivity or not.

This raises some serious questions for our hobby.
Am I forced to euthanize the Ephyllia that's outgrowing my tank?
What happens to companies like ORA, or all the small "Mom and Pop" coral farmers around the country? Take away one or two of their big money makers, and this could force them out of business. Crippling these companies could increase pressure on other wild species like anemonefish, or corals that haven't made it on the list yet, but were once propagated by these companies.

I think we can all see that our coral reefs are in trouble, and most of us believe we need to do something. This isn't the answer though. It has been shown over, and over, and over again that through proper management, we can have the best of both worlds. Australia is a great example of this. By limiting the areas of collection, and the numbers being collect, Australia is able to utilize their natural resources to help feed their people, without raping the environment in the process.

Just my two cents
EC
As someone just getting into this hobby, I'm very concerned, both for the environment and from the stamping of the hobby and the jobs involved. It's about control, they just want to own you.

Careful, the mods BANNED the other posters who started threads re. this topic.

Not sure why they are censoring this?

That users account status has nothing to do with anything posted on the forums. I has quite a LOT to do with his/her choice of words behind the scenes. The topic is fine as long as it doesn't turn into a politcal arguement.

Additionally, creative linking to sites that are on our filtered list is never allowed. If you want the real info, go to the source, NOAA.

I hate to be the pessimist but I think this kind of thing is going on all over. They are taking ever ones rights away one at a time. Take for example I have been an avid dirt bike ride for years in my state and the forest service came up with a “Trail Ambassador Program” that asked riders to tell them what trails we had been riding so they could “help maintain them.” What a crock. Once we did they shut them all down. So much for trying to help. On top of that they can’t even give us a good reason why. Now it is happening to my second favorite hobby. GREAT!

Project out the trends across the globe and apply some intelligence to it. Our hobby can only last so long. Reefs across the globe will rapidly dwindle over time. Look at consumption patterns in the USA. With Globalization everyone wants to be just like us and the lifestyles we lead. It will put massive pressure on fragile environments.

There is no centralized authority on population controls. If anyone espouses population control in their own nations, they would loose backing by the populace. Land, food, water, energy all being consumed at parabolic rates as populations go parabolic.

NOAA decision will not save the reefs in the long run. Humanity is ultimately selfish and shortsighted.

Last edited:
i submitted my comments- do not take this laying down.
Please submit your comments about all we have done for the science and understanding of coral reefs. Without us they would be YEARS behind.
Protect the corals in all the tanks in North America from government destruction.
In one generation they will all be gone in your tanks and in the ocean

Thanks.

If it were that easy to get banned, I would have been banned loooong ago.

I hate to be the pessimist but I think this kind of thing is going on all over. They are taking ever ones rights away one at a time.
Since when is it a right to own coral? I love the hobby as much as the next guy, but come on, it's not even close to being a right. Let's keep things in perspective. Even if this law passes, it won't be the end of the hobby.

Please submit your comments about all we have done for the science and understanding of coral reefs. Without us they would be YEARS behind.
Would we be years behind? Has our hobby really helped the ACTUAL coral reefs? I'm honestly asking. I personally don't think it has done much, but I hope I'm wrong.

Since when is it a right to own coral? I love the hobby as much as the next guy, but come on, it's not even close to being a right. Let's keep things in perspective. Even if this law passes, it won't be the end of the hobby.

You’re right it isn’t a “right” to own coral, bad choice of words. However it is a right of a person "legally" growing and exporting a coral not taken from the ocean to do so. Agriculture and fragging coral should be an exception as long as it isn’t removed from a coral reef illegally. Just my 2 cents and why I voted.

The problem, as I see it, is all coral started in the ocean. It's not like we've ever found a frag while walking through the forest.

Chop-shopping wild corals, into frags that are then sold as aquacultured happens all the time. It's an undeniable fact that coral populations, world wide, are in decline. At the end of the day I'd rather be able to show coral, living in the ocean, to my grand kids than fight for my "right" to have it in my tank now. NOAA isn't attacking hobbyists, they're trying to protect something that has no voice of its own.

The problem, as I see it, is all coral started in the ocean. It's not like we've ever found a frag while walking through the forest.

Chop-shopping wild corals, into frags that are then sold as aquacultured happens all the time. It's an undeniable fact that coral populations, world wide, are in decline. At the end of the day I'd rather be able to show coral, living in the ocean, to my grand kids than fight for my "right" to have it in my tank now. NOAA isn't attacking hobbyists, they're trying to protect something that has no voice of its own.

Good point.

I can certainly empathize with that, and I too am concerned about the wellbeing of wild reefs. However, coral aquaculture and propagation is a rapidly growing industry, with rapidly increasing success rates.

I have no issues with severely limiting or even banning the import of wild collected corals, though I don't think collection actually has a measurable impact compared to environmental damage or bleaching corals for curios, but I believe that aquacultured corals are a different story entirely.

Would we be years behind? Has our hobby really helped the ACTUAL coral reefs? I'm honestly asking. I personally don't think it has done much, but I hope I'm wrong.

The knowledge of how to grow Acro's in a lab setting originated with hobby and public aquaria. That knowledge has proved fruitful for a variety of lab based research, and expanded upon for coral nurseries that are working on planting corals back into the wild.

I have no issues with severely limiting or even banning the import of wild collected corals, though I don't think collection actually has a measurable impact compared to environmental damage or bleaching corals for curios, but I believe that aquacultured corals are a different story entirely.

One of the things that happens with such listing is effects beyond just collecting...such listing can impact a variety of environmental concerns such as dredging projects, land based projects that could have run off, etc. The biggest issue where the hobby is concerned, IMO, is how already captive and cultured listed corals will be treated.

If anyone is interested, there is a turtle called the Spotted Pond Turtle (Geoclemys hamiltonii) that was listed. At the time, there were captive populations in Floirda and IIRC Texas. They've produced babies over the years, and the turtles can be sold within those states but not across state lines without some sort of permit. They are CITES Appendix I and Endangered Species listed.

One of the things that happens with such listing is effects beyond just collecting...such listing can impact a variety of environmental concerns such as dredging projects, land based projects that could have run off, etc. The biggest issue where the hobby is concerned, IMO, is how already captive and cultured listed corals will be treated.

Unfortunately, most of the listed species are largely found in the waters of small island nations that are not bound to abide by our regulations.

I do agree that the treatment of aquacultured specimens should be the primary concern for hobbyists. I have a difficult time believing that a growing industry would be hamstrung, if not destroyed, by a single stroke of the pen.

I hope that common sense will prevail in the enforcement of this new regulation vis a vis aquacultured corals.

Back