Non Silent, Sicce Syncra Silent 5.0 Return Pump.

brittonv

I am in process building out my new 65 Gallon tank.

I completed the plumbing and am doing some test runs, but I am thus far unimpressed with this silent pump. It seems to cause a lot of vibration in my tank. I know it hard to judge from this video but you can hear what I am living with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZLs750l1Bk

I have read that some Sicce pumps quiet down with break-in but this is right behind our heads when watching the TV and the noise is greatly decreasing the W.A.F. of this project.

Any suggestions?

Thank you for the suggestion but even when I hold this pump mid water column making sure it touches nothing, it still vibrates the walls of my reefugium.

Use a soft connection from the pump to the plumbing then. Best is silicone tubing, albeit somewhat restrictive at the fittings.

Also, contact Sicce, there could be a problem with the pump. Personally, I don't think there is such a thing as a silent pump, but some can get close. Usually, they are larger 4-pole motors with lower rpms.

I'd say you got a lemon, I also use a Syncra Silent 5, and mine is silent. its set up using 3/4" vinyl tubing to my bulkhead, more or less floating mid water, but resting against the side of the sump. The hose it self vibrates, but its very slight. but the pump it self cant be heard unless I get right into the sump with it.

Clamp is indeed already gone, thanks!

Trying to get a replacement impeller form Sicce, but I have thus far been unimpressed with their service

I have no experience with the 5, but my smaller Sicce pumps are all essentially silent. Why don't you simply return it.

I didn't watch your video but mine would vibrate the sump and was very loud due to that. I took a few feet of 1/2 inch hose and made a soft base for it to sit on.... it looked like a coiled up snake (with a few thin zip ties to keep it tight and round.
That worked wonders for the vibration.

If you think the pump is defective open a warranty claim. I am in process of one with my syncra hf-10. I am expecting a new pump to arrive today. I had bought a 5.0 to use but it was too small for my tank but it was very quiet.

I think the problem with my HF is the impeller shaft. It has always been a little noisy at which point sicce also told me to let it break in. Now 10 months later it has gotten much worse. I contacted them and they are shipping me a brand new pump.

I am in process building out my new 65 Gallon tank.

I completed the plumbing and am doing some test runs, but I am thus far unimpressed with this silent pump. It seems to cause a lot of vibration in my tank. I know it hard to judge from this video but you can hear what I am living with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZLs750l1Bk

I have read that some Sicce pumps quiet down with break-in but this is right behind our heads when watching the TV and the noise is greatly decreasing the W.A.F. of this project.

Any suggestions?

My sicce was super quiet right out of the box.... Still is today after running it for 6 months. It's actually arguably the quietest pump on the market

seems like the pump vibrations are traveling up the tank and stand.
I own the same exact pump and its very quiet with no humming noises. Are the little rubber pegs installed correctly? Maybe some additional rubber padding under the pump would help.

Thank you for all the responses.

Why don't I just Return it? I bought it from Bulk Reef Supply and they wanted me to exhaust all options with Sicce before they would take it back.

Sicce finally offered to send me a new Impeller so when that shows up hopefully it will be quieter. I had tried to put rubber hose in to stop the vibration but that didn't work. And yes it is installed on the suction cup feet.

I have the Sicce 4.0 and it just barely started to get quiet the other day after 3 weeks, I also had to loosen up all the supporting brackets and put some pipe insulation between the pipe and stand and tank. Now the skimmer is the noisiest thing in my stand

Man... I hope it works out for you! Another thought, have you seen how the vertex omega 150 uses silicone hose between the pump and the skimmer itself. That silicone is very flexible. It's different then regular flexible hose. Maybe that will help too?

Back